Author Topic: Does anyone make aftermarket probe tip accessories?  (Read 974 times)

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
Does anyone make aftermarket probe tip accessories?
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:38:48 am »
My Rigol 4024, which I've had for several years and really like, came with four Rigol probes, but none of the usual tip accessories. I'm talking about the tiny little spring-like attachments that allow you to keep the ground "lead" ultra-short, etc. Even my Philips PM3214 analog scope, which I purchased new in the 70's, came with a complete kit for each of its two probes.

I've Rubed up some sad excuses for my own, using tiny little springs etc., but they're not exactly great. So far I can't find anyone that makes them aftermarket. I expected someone like Pomona to have kits of these things. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks!

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does anyone make aftermarket probe tip accessories?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:57:29 am »
Buy cheap probes on ebay, get accessories free?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:03:32 am »
There is plenty available to suit 'some' probes. If the Rigol ground barrel is 5mm then Hantek or their cheap evilbay clones will also suit. The only Tektronix probe I have has a 4.9xmm barrel so some Tek stuff should suit too.

You may find better success winding tip springs with nichrome or kanthal wire due to some spring in it. The tiny resistance of the wire will be fine for most measurements.

One of my home rolled BNC-5mm Probe adapters here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/o-scope-probe-to-bnc-adaptor-(dave-uses-on-in-642)-where-to-findbuy/msg2287812/#msg2287812

This is well worth a look too.

https://youtu.be/2vzvWUqUtb8
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:32 am »
ProbeMaster sells gold plated ones for extra wankery, I mean improved electrical contact.
https://probemaster.com/4983hg-high-frequency-ground/

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:39:16 am »
This is a link to a YouTube video by scope/Tektronix guru Alan Wolke about making your own. I made a bunch for myself using a drill bit shank as a mandrel.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-probes-with-spring-tips/msg2307849/#msg2307849

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 03:06:11 am »
I made some of my own when I found very small jack  contacts, which are spring loaded and into which probe tips fit nicely. Other end for example could be a 0.64mm square tip or jack.
MC/Staeubli made several which fit over a probe like the usual hook clip, interfacing to 4mm or 2mm m/f shrouded connectors.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 04:27:01 pm »
This is well worth a look too.
Yep, that's a favorite of mine. Pease's old "anyhow" articles (and this video series, too) are a common choice of mine for casual reading. I often download a bunch of them from the archives when I'm boarding a plane, just to have something to usefully pass the time. Not a fan of his non-technology articles, though... I'm glad he had fun stomping around Nepal but that's not why I read technical articles.

You may find better success winding tip springs with nichrome or kanthal wire due to some spring in it. The tiny resistance of the wire will be fine for most measurements.
I tend to use resistor leads, just as that video you linked suggests, but I was trying for something with better longevity - hence the prewound springs. They worked "OK" but the Rigol probes have a sort of tapered ground contact that is challenging to mount something to.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 04:27:45 pm »
ProbeMaster sells gold plated ones for extra wankery, I mean improved electrical contact.
There we go, that's exactly the sort of link I was looking for. Thanks!

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 04:31:22 pm »
This is a link to a YouTube video by scope/Tektronix guru Alan Wolke about making your own. I made a bunch for myself using a drill bit shank as a mandrel.
Yep, same sort of thing I have been trying but as I said above, the Rigol probes have a tapered ground so a simple, straight mandrel didn't yield very good results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf