Author Topic: Howto Find Good Homes for Older Test Qquipment  (Read 1340 times)

Offline edtylerTopic starter

• Contributor
Howto Find Good Homes for Older Test Qquipment
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:58:37 pm »
An amateur radio club I belong to had some test equipment donated by a generous benefactor. Much of it was made pre-1990 and some was sold to club members.

I ended up with some HP5000 mainframes, plug ins and an assortment of other items.  Much of this equipment is not working.  However, the overall appearance is good and it seems a shame to simply put this sort of stuff in the e-waste pile.

My question for the group is how to get these items into the hands of those who could repair them ir use them for parts. I do not want to eBay the items, because the value to me is quite low and packing for shipping would be expensive for the buyer. Local pickup in Orange County, CA is desired.

The W6TRW swap meet has not been an option for more than a year and is still closed.

Any ideas on venues to post the items' description and pictures so that interested persons will see them?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Howto Find Good Homes for Older Test Qquipment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 04:04:12 pm »
I'd advertise them on a local 2nd hand advertising website. Is Craigslist still a thing? Otherwise Ebay with 'local pickup only' could do a fine job. I have sold some  pre-90's HP gear myself that way in the past couple of weeks.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:30:00 pm »
It is a really good question and it has come up before.

Here is just a thought. I have not done it and I'm not even sure that I have seen it done but it sounds good.

Take some nice pics of the unit, e.g. HP5000 Mainframe. Search on the product (specifically or more broadly) and note the enthusiast/museum/restoration pages.

e.g., http://www.hpmuseum.net/collection_document.php

Send that site a generic email/post that includes the conditions and description, e.g., non-working, local pickup for enthusiast not reseller etc.. and an email (throwaway) contact.

It is a bit of work but you would be targeting the community of potential interest.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 05:07:49 pm »
Try HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment@groups.io
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 05:10:13 pm »
If you post a list here you might get some takers.  I for one am always looking for bargains, and I live in L.A. county.

Offline edtylerTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:14:51 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was not thinking too much about eBay because the price would be nominal and the fees might be prohibitive if the item did not move.  Really miss the local swap meets.

As to posting the items here, is that allowed? Have not seen any For Sale postings on eevblog.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 04:50:14 am »
  Unfortunately, electronics seems to be a dying hobby and even in my very large city, there's little demand for used equipment. Especially for the big heavy well built equipment such as HP used to build. So you need to promote it over a very large area (nationally or even internationally.)

As much as I and many others like to bash E-bay, it still has the largest number of viewers by far as any other venue. If you can't dispose of the items locally for a fair price then put them on Ebay. You might be surprised at how much they bring.  Good quality (such as HP) and repairable, used test equipment is highly sought after my many of us. But be prepared to have to pack and ship the items. OTOH that could easily be offset by the higher price that you get on e-bay.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 11:42:06 am »
Craigslist is a thing.  The question becomes do you want the hassle of people with hidden agendas from wasting your time?

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:19 am »
Put them on Ebay, and specify "local pickup only" for the shipping method.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 02:48:01 am »
Ebay is certainly your widest audience and typically nets top dollar, although local-only can greatly limit that and shipping gear is a pain. Over the past year or so test equipment prices have been consistently high and rising. I have not noticed anything that looked like a particularly good deal in quite some time now.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 03:04:43 am »
Ebay is certainly your widest audience and typically nets top dollar, although local-only can greatly limit that and shipping gear is a pain. Over the past year or so test equipment prices have been consistently high and rising. I have not noticed anything that looked like a particularly good deal in quite some time now.

I would agree that prices are going up I just checked what I paid for my 34401A in 2017 and pricing now is sitting $50-100+ higher. Generally this seems to be across the board from Scopes to meters and other gear.

Back to the OP for a start try here (in the Buy/Sell section) take a bunch of photos it costs $0 to sell and generally you are dealing with a human who won't want to be shamed for douchy behavior at a pickup. Anything of higher value or that you can show working (partially or fully) be prepared to ship in the buyer asks at cost.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf