Author Topic: Are there Tips available for ZD99?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Are there Tips available for ZD99?
« on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:31 pm »
Without much of a choice or knowledge about this unit, I bought this soldering Iron in a local shop under a different name:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZD99-48W-Hobbyist-Adjustable-Soldering-Station-for-General-Electronic-AU-STOCK-/262515214484

The price was right, but soon after analyzing what I've bought, there are some things I don't like.

1) It seems that the soldering handle is not replaceable like those low voltage hakko clones. Also the cable is quite thick. Does this mean the handle is running on regulated AC voltage?
2) It seems to use a specific tip type. If using a standard tip, it would just fall in.

The tip looks something like this:

Except it's not pure copper, that image is from ZD-415 model, closest I could find on an Ebay quick search.

However, I looked for suitable tips on Ebay and Aliexpress, and couldn't find many from Chinese sellers.
Do you know if compatible tips are available under different names (not specifically for ZD) and how to search for them? If it turns out that I can't buy a replacement tip, and hopefully tips of different types as well, then it was a really regrettable purchase.

Thanks a bunch

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: Are there Tips available for ZD99?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:37 pm »
that's a mains iron and a lamp dimmer - that's why the cable is thick and not removable.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »
Thanks, yeah, I figured as much but couldn't hurt to verify. :) Nothing too wrong with that, just unable to replace the handle easily (if at all).
I don't do long soldering sessions so there shouldn't be much of a problem with that kind of wattage control.

Still, I do need to find suitable tips or it might turn out impossible to use in the near future.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »
these things are everywhere - you wont have problems finding them!

The following users thanked this post: kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:02:49 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I saw on one website they are being referred to as AP2 type tips (whatever that is), however searching for AP2 still gives 0 results on Aliexpress and just a few results on eBay e.g. $2 cost and $7 shipping as they are from Estonia, UK or similar countries from which shipping can cost a bit. For about $10 you could probably buy a genuine tip for a reputable soldering iron.

Is it possible to find suitable tips from China? That usually means free shipping (even though it's included in the price, it's quite low), so it would make a huge difference.

Of course, I will continue to search, it's just that most tips seem to be of a different type, so these might be somewhat nonstandard unfortunately.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:41 pm »
The ZD99 is a knock-off/copy/clone of the Weller WLC100. Weller makes the WLC100 in Mexico. Are the WLC100 tips compatible with the ZD99; I don't know.

:)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:15:02 pm »
https://www.rapidonline.com/anvil-48w-adjustable-temperature-analogue-soldering-station-525406

http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d01843/soldering-station-48w-230vac-uk/dp/2542914

many names!  ;D

Yup, you're right, I also bought it under yet another different name and there are plenty.

I'm just wondering if there are cheap tips from China available. :)
(ordering from e.g. UK is just quite expensive).

Can't find much searching for "ZD 99 Tips, or Duratool Tips, or AP2 tips" on Aliexpress or eBay from China.
Okay, the other ones are probably logical since they're not Chinese brand names, but the ZD might/should be.

However, when browsing generic soldering tips, I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the right type.

The ZD99 is a knock-off/copy/clone of the Weller WLC100. Weller makes the WLC100 in Mexico. Are the WLC100 tips compatible with the ZD99; I don't know.

You're right, it looks like a clone. I didn't know that. However, after searching on eBay the weller tips seem different.

The one that came with the iron looks something like this:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:17:55 pm by kalel »

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:01:01 am »

You're right, it looks like a clone. I didn't know that. However, after searching on eBay the weller tips seem different.

Do you have a "real" Zhongdi ZD-99? Zhongdi cloned several Weller models. It also seems that they are not exact copies.

If you search for ZD-99 on the Zhongdi website, you will see the various tips replacement they are offering, and their part numbers.

http://www.china-zhongdi.com

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 01:59:54 am »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 07:50:58 pm »
Thanks guys. Actually it's not a "genuine ZD-99", it just looks like it and it's under a different brand (not many or any tips specifically for this brand though).
However, the drawings of the soldering iron tip type for ZD99 looks a lot like mine (from the last picture).

The only question remains if I can find anything with those codes. Will try.

Thanks again. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf