Author Topic: HP 3561A - Any familiar with it?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline jsantoroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP 3561A - Any familiar with it?
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:54:28 pm »
Hi all,
Just picked up a HP 3561A. Boots, ran all the tests in the service manual. Can look at signals etc. My question to anyone familar with these is how to do frequency response sweeps on it. I know it's possible but cannot figure out the right combo of settings. Currently using AudioTester, so maybe this is overkill.
It's way big also.
Anyone have an idea?

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 3561A - Any familiar with it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »
The 3561 is only a single channel unit. It has a pseudo-random noise generator which can be used as a source for amplitude response measurement. It is not as good as a swept sine source that most 2 channel units have. To get a reasonable response display you will need to multiple captures and average the results. Averaging is a built in function, and I would start with 64 averages and see how it looks. Using this method does not offer any usable phase information.

I bought one years ago and saw the limitations and sold it within a week.  I then bought a 3582a which was better, but still not up to the performance I wanted.  In the end I have an Advantest R9211C which meets the capabilities I wanted, and has a built-in printer too boot.

paul
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:12:13 pm by tecman »

Offline jsantoroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 3561A - Any familiar with it?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:30:18 pm »
Paul,
Thanks for you replies. I am coming to the same conclusion myself. Far too much trouble for the results I get compared to using a decent DAC and Audiotester. I will be selling mine also.
Jim

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf