Author Topic: HP 5343A Microwave Frequency Counter  (Read 3602 times)

Offline 0culusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
HP 5343A Microwave Frequency Counter
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:00 pm »
Anyone here have experience with this model? I missed out on one that sold pretty cheap on ebay last week, and most of them still seem to be in the $800-1000 range. Figure it would be a nice complement to my spectrum analyzer, but don't want to spend that kind of $ if there's serious pitfalls.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 5343A Microwave Frequency Counter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37:09 pm »
There are pitfalls :)

These have two critical unobtanium components in the high range. One is the input sampler microcircuit, and the other is the step recovery diode in the sampler driver.
These are the only high GHz components, the rest of the thing is all low freq. There is an HP PDF somewhere which describes it pretty well and the service manual is available too.
There is also an HP specific amp chip (0372 Limiter Amplifier) all through them, but you can usually source those from parts units - which are plentiful.

I have one in bits on my kitchen table, which works in the low range after I fixed a couple of the faulty amps. However it won't work in the high range.
The SRD seems to be dead, and I found a second unit which also has a dead SRD. The input microcircuit is also probably dead, although I haven't properly tested that as it took me a while to realise that the SRD wasn't working.

Sorry I can't remember the names of the modules off the top of my head. It's been sitting there for well over a month and I glare at it every morning and night :)
One of these days I'll put it all back together for use on the low range only. Too busy atm to try and come up with an alternative.

I got mine from eBay for $100 USD. It has the high stability ref option present and is supposed to have an input power limiter, but I don't think that was fitted for some reason.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:40:01 pm by hendorog »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »
There are pitfalls :)

These have two critical unobtanium components in the high range. One is the input sampler microcircuit, and the other is the step recovery diode in the sampler driver.
These are the only high GHz components, the rest of the thing is all low freq. There is an HP PDF somewhere which describes it pretty well and the service manual is available too.
There is also an HP specific amp chip (0372 Limiter Amplifier) all through them, but you can usually source those from parts units - which are plentiful.

I have one in bits on my kitchen table, which works in the low range after I fixed a couple of the faulty amps. However it won't work in the high range.
The SRD seems to be dead, and I found a second unit which also has a dead SRD. The input microcircuit is also probably dead, although I haven't properly tested that as it took me a while to realise that the SRD wasn't working.

Sorry I can't remember the names of the modules off the top of my head. It's been sitting there for well over a month and I glare at it every morning and night :)
One of these days I'll put it all back together for use on the low range only. Too busy atm to try and come up with an alternative.

I got mine from eBay for $100 USD. It has the high stability ref option present and is supposed to have an input power limiter, but I don't think that was fitted for some reason.

Cool, thanks for the info. Basically what I'm hearing is that I shouldn't pay very much unless I know for sure the unit doesn't have trouble.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 11:40:52 pm »
So I found one that apparently turns on but the guy wants $650 rock bottom for it, but will allow returns for refund if it's unsatisfactory. I still feel that's a lot of bones for an unknown...

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:16 pm »
At that price I'd run away.
VE7FM

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:46 pm »
Yeah that's a hell of a lot for something he can't even be bothered to test.

Some people on eBay think the more GHz it has on the label then the more it is worth...  :palm:

He could at least run the self testing from the console, which will test the LO path at least.

Personally I'd say 299 max for something of that vintage would be reasonable.

The newer LCD counters too available much cheaper too (just from a search, 20GHz I think)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-5350A-Microwave-Frequency-Counter/332796553605

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:22 am »
Nice, that could be an option as well. I think I'll tell him thanks but no thanks unless he's willing to come way down, which I doubt.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:26 am »
I have a 5351A counter and it's a great piece of kit. The only downside is the lack of a decent backlit display. Did a video on it here:

https://youtu.be/8kLO1DXoJpA

Kerry Wong did a backlight mod to his if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/i9UGBLvTsNs

TonyG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:45 am »
Very nice, thanks! The prices of this series of counters is more inline with the kind of $$ I want to be spending.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 01:37:11 am »
Anyone here have experience with this model? I missed out on one that sold pretty cheap on ebay last week, and most of them still seem to be in the $800-1000 range. Figure it would be a nice complement to my spectrum analyzer, but don't want to spend that kind of $ if there's serious pitfalls.

I have a 5342A.  If you are not aware of the differences, download the following catalog and look on pages 228-9.

http://hparchive.com/Catalogs/HP-Catalog-1986.pdf

I suggest that you find one with the options you are looking for rather than trying to upgrade it later.     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 06:23:56 pm »
Thanks! I told the seller that 650 is too much for an untested unit. I'll probably start looking for one of the more modern ones above!

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »
Also be sure 1 Hz resolution will make you happy.
VE7FM

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 06:44:22 pm »
I have one and it is gigantic, it is by far the biggest counter I have. Looking at the front it seems moderate, but in fact it is 50 cm deep, well beyond anything you want on your bench!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »

Isn't that desirable?

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 09:34:01 pm »

Isn't that desirable?

Not if you want finer resolution such as 0.1 or 0.01 Hz.
Generally well into the GHz 1 Hz resolution is quite common because of how the counters are designed, it is usually enough as well. Just wanted you to be aware of that limitation.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 10:50:20 pm »
OK, I understand now. Some may have smaller resolutions, below 1 Hz. What I'm hearing is that I'll eventually have more than one...  :palm: :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf