Author Topic: HP 8562E power supply failure  (Read 1998 times)

Offline PlocmstartTopic starter

HP 8562E power supply failure
« on: July 25, 2018, 02:55:57 am »
I'm working on a 8562E spectrum analyzer that was given to me awhile ago because it no longer powers on.  I finally got around to looking at it and found that Q201 has completely blown away (photo attached).  So far I've only found the service guide which has a block diagram of the supply, but no schematic or component list so I have no idea what Q201 should be replaced with.  I'm also wondering what else could have been destroyed along with this part.  The service manual does mention a step in debugging where this part might end up being shorted, but no mention of it blowing open!

Anyone out there with experience with this supply that could provide some suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: HP 8562E power supply failure
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:24 am »
You can get CLIP with schematics for HPAK 8562E at Artek Manuals:-+

Welcome to forum.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: Plocmstart

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:45 am »
Thanks!  Just placed my order.  Hope to breathe some life back into this thing soon.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:30:24 am »
There is PSU schematic for HP8563A. It may be similar or the same as HP8562E.
https://community.keysight.com/thread/5234
Update:   
Found another one, this should be for E series
CLIP PSU 08564-60008.pdf
https://community.keysight.com/thread/18492
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:55:43 am by kirill_ka »

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:44:13 am »
Thanks for the help.  I've found that it's a N-channel FET, and it's part of a kick-start circuit that's supposed to generate +14V.  Looks like it's blown because something on the +14V rail is currently shorted.  Time to start pulling parts and hope it's not the hard-to-find ones. 
There's also a beefy-looking PTC thermistor in the path (195Q80115) that's supposed to read 750ohm @ 25C, but it's currently reading ~960ohm so it's possibly damaged.  I found a very old datasheet, but it doesn't list the current/power requirement.  It has a "switch temperature" of 95C so I guess it was supposed to also act like a resetable fuse, but failed to do so at some point before the FET blew.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf