Author Topic: HP 973A & 974A Multimeter Service Manual anyone?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline AMR LabsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 973A & 974A Multimeter Service Manual anyone?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 08:36:07 pm »
Your HP970A is a completely different DMM, its more like a hand-held probe type of instrument which was made by HP in the US.

No relation to the HP971A-974A series made in Japan by Yokogawa.
HP should have given the later multimeters a different model designation.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:38:50 pm by AMR Labs »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:49 am »
It's also a little earlier .. 1973 :)

Offline Compulsive Fixer

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 04:20:03 am »
Greetings All
My first post on this forum.
I came here seeking information on the HP 973A multimeter after mine recently stopped working.
I have had it for 25 years after winning it for renewing my subscription to a well known Australian electronics mag and it has been an excellent piece of equipment which has worked faultlessly all that time.
A couple of weeks ago it stopped working so I pulled the back off and found the batteries leaking and covered with a blue deposit on the ends. I was rather surprised at this as I wrongly assumed that Duracells were reasonably leak proof. Fortunately the battery holder contacts cleaned up well with no signs of pitting or corrosion and I optimistically fitted new cells, but the meter powered up and presented a normal display as soon as I pushed the second battery into place and could not be powered down again using the ‘Power’ Button.
The first thing I did was clean the switch contacts on the board and re-coat the button contact with a thin coat of powdered graphite rubbed in well but still no luck!
 So out with the magnifier and low power microscope to examine all of the tracks and components in the general area of the battery holder, but all looked good and well protected by the conformal coating. Using my cheapie multimeter, which I carry in the car glovebox, I was able to tediously trace a path from one of the switch contacts through a couple of resistors and diodes to the general area of IC7. The other contact carried +3V.
My next suspicion was that some of the corrosive liquid from the cells had seeped in under the chips on that end of the board so I soaked just that end in warm water and detergent with some brushing, washed  and soaked again in several changes of fresh water then into denatured alcohol and thoroughly dried with warm air. I had previously un-clipped the screen and was careful not to wet the rest of the board as I did not want to get water into any of the trimmers.
All of this still failed to get the ‘Power’ button working, although all of the other functions of the meter seemed to be working normally.
With nothing to lose I decided to look at the most likely culprit – IC7, a 74HC132A (a quad 2 input NAND Schmidt trigger) surface mount IC on the back of the board under the LCD screen as this had a clear path to the batteries through a hole for the battery holder locating pins. With the hot air rework gun I lifted this chip off the board and found it to be wet underneath with a film of pale green liquid. Close examination showed that the area around the solder pads had been masked off from the conformal coating but a small section of copper track from the pad for pin 11 to a via under the middle of the chip body had been dissolved away by electrolysis.
Full of hope, I carefully bridged the gap in the track with a thin strand of copper wire and re-assembled everything but, alas, still the same problem.
Once again I lifted the IC and re-examined the area under it with the microscope. The only slightly suspicious thing I could see was a tiny tab on the end of the pad for pin 10. There was no signs of any track leading from it to any other pad or via.
Still convinced that I was on the right track I started drawing out the circuit around this chip but eventually gave up due to the number of fine tracks and vias in this area – it was going to take too long!
So, here I am hoping someone can help with a circuit diagram or a photo of the tracks under this chip from a scrapped meter.
I have spent quite a lot of time looking online for a low-cost replacement for this meter but nothing seems to compare, so I an really keen to fix this one.
Any help or suggestions from forum members would be much appreciated.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 05:35:57 am »
A couple of weeks ago it stopped working so I pulled the back off and found the batteries leaking and covered with a blue deposit on the ends. I was rather surprised at this as I wrongly assumed that Duracells were reasonably leak proof.
Oh, brother.

I don't think schematics for this series ever appeared. However, they do have an unusual and distinctive feature, the soft power button. Most DMMs use a rotary switch position to turn off and disconnect power. The 973A has a key that switches power on and off: this means that it must have a path from the battery to the key, and a latching mosfet circuit that is switched on and off by the key. To facilitate latching it probably uses a capacitor as well. Another DMM with this design feature is the Protek 506, for which schematics are available and should be similar in this area.

Offline Compulsive Fixer

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 08:09:18 am »
Thanks for that info helius,
I had a quick look at the Protek 506 circuit (Hung Chang) and it appears to use the same IC so I will sit down and study it in more detail as soon as I get the time.
The link to the Duracells was also most interesting. Mine were date stamped for Mar 2017 so not terribly old. They don't mention any guarantee on covering equipment damage but they were made in China so could even be counterfeits.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 01:59:11 pm »
I had a similar problem when I got the 973A off ebay when it came with old long time dead batteries installed and the usual blue-green corrosion on the battery clips. I actually had to remove the battery holder by unsoldering the connecting tabs from the main PCB (remove LCD display first), as it was really the only way to be able to completely remove the whole mess which in the end cleaned up quite well after using some diluted acetic acid (common vinegar), an x-acto knife as a scraper and a small brush. After that the DMM would seem to function but the lower uA and mA current ranges where not displaying zero without any input, instead displaying some value, but everything else seemed to work. It appeared that the outgassing of the old batteries had been spread around leaving a seemingly invisible layer of conductive and corrosive electrolyte in some areas and was bypassing or creating some unwanted electrical paths.

After some careful inspection also fund a couple of very thin copper tracks had been partially eaten away and still had tiny blue spots at random points on them, located somewhat near the top of the board near the display, and also between the display and the rotary selector switch area. I had to use a 10x magnifier in order to get rid of all the really almost microscopic tiny green spots here and there along those tracks as they where so small that they where virtually invisible otherwise. I first cleaned all those areas with Qtips and alcohol, but some of the tiny corrosion spots really required some gently scraping off with the sharp tip of a x-acto knife, and then proceeded to patch up one or two spots on the traces which looked suspect.

Unfortunately after all that work the current ranges where still not zeroing, but at least I had moved forward in cleaning and fixing those traces. Next step I took out the whole main board, removed the display and battery holder, and carefully washed the whole board down with a solution of water and dish wash liquid (Palmolive) with a soft tooth brush and gently going in circles letting the soap do its thing. Finally rinsed off everything under running water and thoroughly let it dry off. After reassembling the unit, finally this time the current ranges started to zero properly, but then I noticed that some of the other volt and ohm functions where a bit off calibration. So did a full calibration on all functions and ranges with the help of the trimmer adjustment locator in the manual, and ever since the DMM has been performing well so far.

One of my 974A also came with old corroded batteries inside, but for this one I only had to remove/unsolder the battery holder to remove the blue stuff off the contacts, and do some general cleanup with alcohol/Qtip around the battery area for good measure, and that was enough to make everything work.  BTW I now do have total four 974A units after not being able to resist buying a brand new one some time ago at a very reasonable price on ebay still in the box with original test leads, and which I have set aside as a future "spare" unit. Unfortunately nowadays all the asking prices seem to have gone through the roof ($100-150+) even for a no-leads, as-is 973A. This in comparison of what they where selling for perhaps 4-6 years ago rarely going over $50-$75. I remember actually paying just $99.99 for my first used mint 974A back in 2014, including the original box, test leads, and user manual. Now in more recent times, probably the resellers have  been getting wise to the real quality of these DMMs, and as usual are trying to further milk the cow.

After having some bad experiences with supposedly good quality brand name alkaline batteries like Duracell and Energizer, I no longer trust any of them. They are either not made as they used to, or it would appear that the chinese have managed to flood the global markets with counterfeit batteries that look exactly the same as the originals so one never knows what you are really getting. Anyway, to be on the safe side, and also to cut down on recurring battery cost, for some time I only use AA or AAA NiMH rechargeable cells from well known brands like Panasonic/Eneloop on all my important portable electronics, also including all my HP Led calculators and the HP41CX N-Cells which I nearly also lost to some battery corrosion that formed only weeks after replacing the batteries with some "fresh" ones. The HP973/974 DMM's really don't seem to care about the difference of 1.25V against the regular 1.5V per cell, and even if there is some difference in running time, they usually still last for months before needing a recharge, so really who cares.

I am always amazed of how accurate these old DMMs still are, even after all these years since they left the factory in Japan. Specially the 974s, they all are almost dead on compared to my HP3468A/78A 5.5 digit MMs. Too bad the schematics where never released, probably forgotten in a drawer somewhere in Japan under the Yokogawa brand name.

Offline Compulsive Fixer

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:20 am »
YAY - It's Alive!!!!
After spending countless hours trying un-successfully to fault-find my 973A and then starting to re-draw the circuit I finally got it working.
I had patched up a dissolved section of track under the 74HC132 smd chip but stupidly created a dry joint when re-soldering the 4066. I used a low power stereo microscope to examine all of the solder joints and find it.
A touch with the iron and it was all good, much to my relief.
After the experience of nearly losing an old friend I have vowed to never touch another Duracell!
Thanks to all who offered help & advice.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 01:02:54 pm »
Excellent news! Congratulations on fixing your 973A.
Did you by any chance take any pictures of the fix? If so it is always welcomed to publish them here for future reference for others.

Offline Compulsive Fixer

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 12:46:24 am »
I'll see what I can do with a couple of photos as soon as I get time. I will have to pull it apart again. I thought of taking some at the time but got so excited at finding the fault and keen to test it out that I just re-assembled the whole thing. My most significant discovery was with the presence of a clear path for battery electrolyte from around the battery holder through one of the holes for its mounting lugs to the other side of the board where it could wick in under the surface mount chips. With the smd chips sitting flush to the board they readily hold the liquid and allow electrolysis to slowly do its work on any unprotected tracks. No amount of soaking and scrubbing is likely to remove the liquid from such a narrow space under the chips - the only effective way is to temporarily remove them.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2020, 12:50:55 am »
Your best bet is to stop using alkalines and switch to lithium. I've done it with all my meters now after a similar experience with my keysight u1282a that's not even 2 years old.

Offline kipp

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2020, 03:52:58 am »
Regarding the higher precision versions, the Yokogawa model numbers are 7544-01 and 7544-02, but it's hard to find documentation for them.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2020, 06:23:10 am »
Regarding the higher precision versions, the Yokogawa model numbers are 7544-01 and 7544-02, but it's hard to find documentation for them.

Mentioned and pictured earlier in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-973a-974a-multimeter-service-manual-anyone/msg2690670/#msg2690670

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf