Author Topic: HP E36xx- whats' up with color coding?!  (Read 5272 times)

Offline reagleTopic starter

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
HP E36xx- whats' up with color coding?!
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:16 am »
Just bought several HP E3610/11s for work on ebay. All mid- 1990 vintage. Out of three, two (one of each kind) had both + and - binding posts color coded red. The third and newer 3611 has red, black, green as expected for +, -, GND.
Any ideas why would they do such a silly thing? These all came from different sellers and show no signs of damage or rework.
I love these units otherwise- very clean, easy to maintain and being HP all documentation is available.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: HP E36xx- whats' up with color coding?!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:49 am »
Sometimes people rip off the color coded rings.  These are sold as spares. You cant get the green one anymore...
Probably replaced when the supply went in for calibration.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline elCap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:11:33 am »
It's same on my E3615A. Also my 34401A has all connectors red. (all mid 90s, bought used in Japan)
Yes, it's silly.. why?  :-//

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:50 am »
My E3610A has the expected red, black and green binding posts. On the other hand the CC button is bright red as a previous owner mislaid the original one.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Sometimes people rip off the color coded rings.  These are sold as spares. You cant get the green one anymore...
Probably replaced when the supply went in for calibration.
No its standard. My HP6002A also has red rings on the + and - connectors.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »
No its standard. My HP6002A also has red rings on the + and - connectors.
Oh, that's what i figured. It definitely looked factory original. Now, whose bright idea that was I wonder ..

Online Huluvu

• Regular Contributor
    • ECM Home
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:38 pm »
Same situation at my home lab  :palm:

I was also wondering what happened to this HP's and the thoughts behind.

"Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no..."

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 01:38:08 am »
Just looked at an HP3478A and all inputs are color codded red as well ?! ;)

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:00 am »
What's wrong with good old Black Sharpie? I don't care as long as they make the most robust power supplies I ever had. There are more important issues such as "why not include an output switch ?" That would be so much more useful.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:54:38 am by nukie »

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 04:12:08 am »
Just bought several HP E3610/11s for work on ebay. All mid- 1990 vintage. Out of three, two (one of each kind) had both + and - binding posts color coded red. The third and newer 3611 has red, black, green as expected for +, -, GND.
Any ideas why would they do such a silly thing? These all came from different sellers and show no signs of damage or rework.
I love these units otherwise- very clean, easy to maintain and being HP all documentation is available.

Yes, I noticed this when looking for bargains on eBay. They are relatively fragile, too, so you often see ones where the plastic is cracking or broken off.

I was able to order spare plugs from Agilent last year, including some with the green rings. Not sure if that situation has changed. Anyway, they were very easy to replace in the 3610A and 3630A. (Some other HP equipment, notably the 334A, block access to the plugs and make them effectively impossible to replace without complete disassembly.)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:15 am »
What's wrong with good old Black Sharpie? I don't care as long as they make the most robust power supplies I ever had. There are more important issues such as "why not include an output switch ?" That would be so much more useful.

It is called attention to detail. If Agilent puts random colors on the binding posts someone is not paying attention. The ones putting them on and the QC. And from that people extrapolate "if they don't even manage to get the colors right, what else don't they get right?"
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
I just got a HP E3610A from eBay and it has the red-red-black colors on the binding posts. The + post has a crack, but still works okay. I'm pretty sure it was damaged in shipment since packaging was almost non-existent. I checked at the Agilent web site and replacement parts appear to still be available in all three colors. Unfortunately they want around $12 (US) for each binding post. I only paid $130 for the item, so I'm reluctant to spend $36 just to update the binding posts. I have not found an alternate source for the grey with colored rings style of binding posts that HP/Agilent use.

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
I just got a HP E3610A from eBay and it has the red-red-black colors on the binding posts. The + post has a crack, but still works okay. I'm pretty sure it was damaged in shipment since packaging was almost non-existent. I checked at the Agilent web site and replacement parts appear to still be available in all three colors. Unfortunately they want around $12 (US) for each binding post. I only paid $130 for the item, so I'm reluctant to spend $36 just to update the binding posts. I have not found an alternate source for the grey with colored rings style of binding posts that HP/Agilent use.

Yep, my experience exactly. I bit the bullet, fixed the posts, and thank myself every time I use the power supply. Which is a lot. It's a really useful one.

- Ken

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf