Author Topic: HP E4432B Signal Generator  (Read 828 times)

Offline MaxFristerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP E4432B Signal Generator
« on: March 22, 2023, 05:33:23 pm »
I have a new-to-me HPAK E4432B signal generator that I bought broken. I've cleaned it up and have it limping along.

I am waiting for a ccfl and bnc connector and trying to figure out what to do about the missing tooth.

In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out how to use it and have some questions.

• Is there any particular reason to update the firmware?  I’m always a little reluctant with such an old device.
  • Is the hardware the same between the E4432B (3GHz) and E4433B(4GHz) versions.  Is there a downside to hacking it for the higher bandwidth?
  • Is there any software for the generator and/or UND option that runs on a modern computer.  The only software I’ve seen seems to require windows NT or similar which I really don’t want to ever see again.

TIA

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
Re: HP E4432B Signal Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:11:10 pm »
Yea, I'm always a bit leery about firmware updates. I'd check the version # you have and then check what the update # is and what it gives you. An update may not give you anything of value to you.
I doubt you can just software hack it without a hardware update.
You can always control it via GPIB or the serial interface if it has those options installed. (Look into the free version of LabView, or the equivalent Open source software)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 07:23:31 pm by Kim Christensen »

The following users thanked this post: MaxFrister

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:44:39 pm »
I always prefer to run the newest firmware and did update my E4431B.

Yes, a firmware only hack will take it to 4 GHz. If done properly the only possible downside is that the amplitude will likely be a little low between 3 and 4 GHz(for your model) as that portion will not be calibrated.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: MaxFrister

Offline dxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 07:54:05 pm »
I upgraded mine a while ago to 4GHz and haven't found a problem. I wrote a little script to calibrated the upper band that wasn't present before:

https://github.com/svenschnelle/caltools/blob/master/calesg.py

It uses a E4418B power meter to do so, but i could be adapted to other types if needed.

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, edavid, TheSteve, MaxFrister

Offline WernerFalken

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 05:30:52 pm »
Has anyone written code to add license options? One other downside to changing the model #, iirc, is that some license options become invalidated.

I haven't looked very much, yet, but I am looking for a license gen....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf