Author Topic: Modern bench meter with scanner capabilities and functional front interface????  (Read 2288 times)

Online SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
I'm looking for a 6 1/2 digit bench meter for general purpose front panel type use, but also has multi-channel isolated data acquisition scanner capabilities from add on cards.  I want to automate some testing but still have the equipment easily useable in between tests. 

Something like the Keithley 2700 series is pretty close if only it didn't have the look and feel of something from the 90s.  The single VFD is really limited compared to these new bench meters with super nice interfaces like Keysight 3446X or the Keithley DMM7510 (which I know is new and 7.5 digits, but it has to be the way Keithley is going for future models).  Even the Fluke 8845, Tektronix DMM4040, Rigol DM3068 type interface is substantially better than a single VFD.  Not having a general purpose bench meter front panel interface mostly disqualifies pure ATE type meters/scanner/mainframes like the Agilent 34972, which it nice but a pain to do anything with manually.

Am I missing a meter that has both a general use modern front panel interface and multichannel acquisition scanner capabilities?  Is this just a weird time where the old generation of stuff with scanners hasn't been refreshed yet with new interfaces?  Should I just skip the integrated meter/scanner and get a nice general use meter and separate scanner?  I'm going to need to kit out 4 identical stations and it would be nice if the meter had a long expected life and wouldn't be discontinued tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
I use 34970A daily (as bench meter, with just one channel monitored, and as system scan to capture datalogs), it's not hard to use after getting little time to get used to.

Probably cheapest to go with separate bench DMM and scanner box. Scanners like K7001 are cheap enough, if not use some specialized low-current/hi-resistance cards.
Also scanner will also let you run custom armature around , in case you need that in future, like output digital signals to switch relays, loads, external machinery , etc.
Keithley have scan cards for 2001 (which is from 90s, but have nice VFD) , but they are rather limited usually, and more expensive (10 channels only, no current).
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
If you can live without input connectors on the front, this might be a good option:
http://www.rigolna.com/products/data-acquisition/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf