Author Topic: HScope on an Android Tablet  (Read 1929 times)

Offline ArcsandsparksTopic starter

HScope on an Android Tablet
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:26:00 pm »
I have installed HScope on an Amazon Fire Tablet with Android 5.5.1. I connected it to a Hantek 6022BE DSO via a USB OTG cable. I connected the channel one input to the test signal. I have not been able to see the signal and the display has the message: "Device not connected". I also tried to power the DSO from a separate power source using the 'Y' cable with the same negative result. Advice on how I can make this work will be much appreciated.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HScope on an Android Tablet
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 03:33:53 pm »
Sorry you had to learn the hard way, like I did, but value-tier USB scopes are reliably garbage. Hantek is the worst offender. You are guaranteed to spend more time fighting drivers and software than making measurements, and if you do by some chance get it working then the next system update or Hantek update will reset your progress. If you've made any -- the software is buggy, limited, and poorly designed even if you do get it working. To get my old hantek to work, I needed to:

* Discover that "Win XP SP2" requirement meant "Not XP SP1, not XP SP3, and certainly not Win7 or emulation mode"
* Give up on using it from a VM
* Edit the binary to patch references to debug DLLs to point at the non-debug DLLs they actually deployed with the application
* Yes, that means they didn't test it. Yes, I told them. No, they didn't reply. As far as I know, the latest software for my model of hantek is still the broken one with the wrong DLLs.

...and once I got it "working" it had extremely bad (20LSB or so) 10MHz leakage into one channel and triggers were about 100mV off the displayed level. 

Return the USB scope if you can. If you're past the return period, like I was, write it off. Don't throw good time/money after bad, like I did. If you're going to buy a cheap scope, it needs to be a standalone. That's the general wisdom on this subject and I wish I'd listened. $60 is nothing in the world of test equipment, and if you make it any distance down the EE path this writeoff will be a tiny fraction of your total equipment spend in no time. It's not too late to save yourself.

Offline crerus75

• Contributor
  • Don't worry, I can break it.
Re: HScope on an Android Tablet
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 05:12:33 pm »
I have HScope running on an old, no-name Android tablet with a 6022BL.  Here's what I can tell you:

-The 6022 series requires an external battery to power it.  I use a generic USB charge pack as a power source.  Some other scopes (including Hantek's own 1008) are powered directly from the tablet's USB port.

-I use this USB OTG adapter harness from Amazon which seems to work fine.  It uses a USB Micro connector so you'll need something different if your tablet has a USB-C port. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSBVNCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-I believe that Martin Loren (developer of HScope) has recommendations about the adapter here.  There are also some connection troubleshooting hints.
http://hscope.martinloren.com/

I had one HELL of a time getting the 6022BL to connect to the tablet.  I repeatedly connected it to the battery pack and the tablet multiple times, but the tablet never recognized the scope and the power LED on the Hantek never came on.  I varied the connection sequence, changed OTG adapters, tried with a wall wart instead of an external battery, etc.  Nothing.  The app that Martin recommends on his website (USB Device Info from the Play store) never showed that the scope was connected.

The first time this occurred, I was able to initialize the scope by connecting the channel 1 probe to the calibration output.  This seemed to wake the scope up and it worked fine. 

Recently this happened again, and this time connecting to the cal output did nothing.  After screwing around for a long time, I finally decided to connect the scope to my Windows laptop (which has the factory Hantek software installed on it).  The computer recognized it.  I then disconnected it and re-connected it to my tablet, at which point it fired up and started working normally.  It's worked fine ever since. 

For some reason known only to God and Hantek, the scope intermittently fails to initialize when it's connected.  I have yet to figure out what black magic causes it to finally work, but it eventually does. 

The following users thanked this post: Arcsandsparks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf