Author Topic: HP 3400A - indicator needle behavior on range change  (Read 5421 times)

Offline macflyTopic starter

• Contributor
HP 3400A - indicator needle behavior on range change
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
Hello,

some weeks ago I bought a HP 3400A TRMS-Millivoltmeter.
Yesterday I put power on and looked what happened. The indicator needle runs over the scale and settled then on zero. Okay, as expected.
But when I changed the measurement range, the needle jumps from full left to full right and then back to zero. This repeats on every range change.

Is this a normal behavior of the 3400A ?

Regards

Macfly
Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration (Thomas Alva Edison 1903)

Offline calmtron

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 3400A - indicator needle behavior on range change
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:03:19 pm »
I believe that this is normal behaviour, I have two 3400A:s behaving similarly. 

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »
Yep so does mine, normal behavior.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline macflyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 05:53:33 pm »

Hi calmtron, hi gyro,

thanks for your answers. These are good news  :popcorn:

Regards,

Macfly
Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration (Thomas Alva Edison 1903)

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:19:04 pm »
Keep in mind the hp3400A is a thermal converter based RMS voltmeter. Know the thermal converter and related system needs some time to settle into the measuring value. This is one of the classic thermal converter based RMS voltmeters with spec'ed accuracy to 10Mhz and up to 100:1 crest factor. There are no hand held DVMs and very, few bench DVMs with this capability.

Bernice

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
One potential trap for the unwary though (no pun intended). The HP3400A has an input impedance of 10M ohms, not the 1M ohm that you might be expecting. Beware of this if you try to hook a scope probe to it, your reading wont be what you expect (10:1 probe will act more like a 2:1 probe but the capacitance matching will be all wrong).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:49:23 pm »
If the 3400A is jumping between every range change then the range switch would (usually) need to be cleaned.  (See table 5-5 in the manufacturer's manual, although it points out something else.)  I use DeoxIT and LPS-1 (and foam swabs).  (LPS-1 1st, then if that doesn't work, DoexIT and LPS-1.)  It doesn't surprise me that all your meters are jumpy, if the range switch has never been cleaned.

Offline SteveH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:27 am »
I have a NOS 3400B with relay range switching that does the same. The swing to FSD is very slow and well damped as is the return back to zero.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »
If the 3400A is jumping between every range change then the range switch would (usually) need to be cleaned.  (See table 5-5 in the manufacturer's manual, although it points out something else.)  I use DeoxIT and LPS-1 (and foam swabs).  (LPS-1 1st, then if that doesn't work, DoexIT and LPS-1.)  It doesn't surprise me that all your meters are jumpy, if the range switch has never been cleaned.

I'd be damn careful not to soak my switch wafers with anything other than IPA. DeOxit will leave a nice permanent load of oily stuff in there. Might affect your 10mhz readings. just a thought...

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »
100% IPA...  not rubbing IPA!

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 09:20:46 pm »
One potential trap for the unwary though (no pun intended). The HP3400A has an input impedance of 10M ohms, not the 1M ohm that you might be expecting. Beware of this if you try to hook a scope probe to it, your reading wont be what you expect (10:1 probe will act more like a 2:1 probe but the capacitance matching will be all wrong).

It also has a somewhat high input capacitance (60 pF or so). Measured with a 50 ? source - as usual - the -3 dB bandwidth (the 10 MHz spec refers to +- 10 % iirc -- -3 dB bandwidth is more interesting for noise measurements) of my units are 25 and 27 MHz, respectively. It's frequency response is roughly 1st order to at least 50 MHz.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:31 am »
I'd be damn careful not to soak my switch wafers with anything other than IPA. DeOxit will leave a nice permanent load of oily stuff in there. Might affect your 10mhz readings. just a thought...

It has been my experience that if I need to repair the switch, and I just clean and lubricate it, then the unit will not pass frequency response that day, but it will the next.  I've also been taught that if IPA or contact cleaner is used, then it should be lubricated afterward else it can be destroyed due to lack of lubrication.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 08:06:13 pm »
As long as you limit, and keep the oily stuff on the actual contact itself, and not filling up the porous insulation of the wafer, you should be good to go, but how to successfully accomplish that task is another good question.  :-//If you just use the meter for below 20kHz, in low impedance tests, probably not a huge issue.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:09 am »
You seem to be concerned with loosing the calibration.  Where I work, we have the equipment to calibrate the 3400A.  The switch can be drenched in LPS-1, blown out with compressed air, let dry (I like to leave a small fan blowing on it), and the switch should then give no trouble for many years.  I don't like to leave DeoxIT on a switch, because it can turn the contacts green, so I flush the DeoxIT with LPS-1.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560

Offline r6502

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 10:16:44 pm »
Hello all,

I just bought also a 3400a, and found a strange behaviour, in the 1mV / 3mV range of the meter.

When I apply a frequency, close to the line frequency, that is also used for the internal chopper amplifier - here in germany it's 50Hz - the pointer of the meter is oszillating a lot. In the 1 mv range up to +/- 0,25 mv. When I change the frequency away from the line frequency, this phenomen decreases. The phenomen is alo present on the 1st harmonic, so at 100Hz, but not that mutch.

In the 10 mV range this phenomen is not so mutch present. From the 30mV range and higher, it is no more visible.

Is this normal behaviour or is there something defective in the device?

The RMS reading of the 3400a is very simmilar to the measurement of my TEk  oszilloscope.

Kind regards

Ghido

Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world - - Isaac Asimov

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf