Author Topic: My Micsig received an update today! (19 June 2021)  (Read 10887 times)

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: My Micsig received an update today! (19 June 2021)
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 09:41:51 am »
Yes, I did update immediately after unboxing.
again: What is your exact model and firmware?

Mine is an STO1104C. The Android system info is identical to yours.

That's just the OS though. They're on a 2012 version of Android ("Lollipop") so I think it's unlikely to change.

The "oscilloscope" part is an installed Application. If I go to "App Market" and click on "Smart Oscilloscope" my version number is this:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:46:03 am by Fungus »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 10:40:13 am »
That's just the OS though. They're on a 2012 version of Android ("Lollipop") so I think it's unlikely to change.

Lollipop is old but not so old (2012)! Nonetheless, can't understand why they don't update the SO.  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 10:42:27 am »

Lollipop is old but not so old (2012)! Nonetheless, can't understand why they don't update the SO.  :-//

What would they gain?

Newer versions might even need more memory, etc., than old ones.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 10:54:18 am »
What would they gain?

Performance...  ::)

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:54 am »
Did you compare all infos on about, i.e. Built nr. - not only Android version 5.1.1? It's rather unlikely that they change this version number when improving the scope's app and functionality with a firmware patch. My smartphone's OS versions do not change with the "security updates", but the built nr and date does.
With the mixed-up app version infos, see last line of my Post #20.

Maybe this fw version is on market for months and your system has drawn it long before without the special APP (see the "Accept online updates" switch on "About" Screen). Or it was already on your device when you received it. My "pack list" is dated on 26th Nov, 2020.  S/N:xx0402215.

So it's more likely an hardware issue.

btw: see your Wifi-Icon with: "!" - same here!

and: new OS versions often include security improvements. E.g. if the webview component is not upgraded, browsers maybe will become vulnerable in the future. The system is not that closed like some MS Net Core based navigators.
Besides that, I do not see the need for a updated OS version. I like my fast and stable HUAWEI G510, running on a (unsecure) 4.1.1. It runs more stable and the battery lasts longer compared to my Samsung S8.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:03:50 am by Pfriemler »
once you do it right, it works :-)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 11:35:52 am »
Did you compare all infos on about, i.e. Built nr. - not only Android version 5.1.1?

Yes!

The following users thanked this post: Pfriemler

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 12:17:41 pm »
Thx for comfirmation and patience!

Just tried to delete all screenshots from device (since I saved and processed them) via FileManager - OS crashed. Repeated 2 times with the same result. Last reboot hangs in Micsig animation, then started with a "optimizing apps" info. Using the FileManager, looking at the screenshots and swiping them makes it freeze and reboot after seconds ... 1 min (hardware watchdog?)

If not the download itself was corrupt (but I think the upgrade itself checks the downloaded file for integrity!) this is a hardware problem. Period.
Now waiting for problem solutions from Micsig...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 12:40:34 pm »
Thx for comfirmation and patience!

Just tried to delete all screenshots from device (since I saved and processed them) via FileManager - OS crashed. Repeated 2 times with the same result. Last reboot hangs in Micsig animation, then started with a "optimizing apps" info. Using the FileManager, looking at the screenshots and swiping them makes it freeze and reboot after seconds ... 1 min (hardware watchdog?)

If not the download itself was corrupt (but I think the upgrade itself checks the downloaded file for integrity!) this is a hardware problem. Period.

Do you hear fans spinning?

I agree it is hardware problem...

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 01:58:42 pm »
Do you hear fans spinning?
Fans? I assume there's one at the backside, and yes, it does. But when the scope runs idle, it switches off and on again. Outcoming air is quite cool in a ~22-26 °C room.
Heat is definitly not the problem.

Next, please?  ;D

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 02:00:08 pm »
How about returning it to the seller or at least ask them for a solution? Or did you buy it directly from MicSig?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 03:14:43 pm »
Batronix, communication is in progress, fast and helpful, ++!. They were interested to read details from this thread and did inform Micsig about all details.
If there's a way to get this device working, we'll give it a chance, otherwise ... yes.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 06:26:59 pm »
Batronix, communication is in progress, fast and helpful, ++!. They were interested to read details from this thread and did inform Micsig about all details.
If there's a way to get this device working, we'll give it a chance, otherwise ... yes.
Batronix is excellent company, you should have no problem to get another one that works. I would suggest to just do that, you being in Germany in few days you can sort this out.
I'm sure Micsig would like to do failure analysis without anybody destroying evidence...

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2021, 06:53:55 pm »
I am convinced that there will be a satisfactory solution for me in a few days, Batronix has indicated this quite clearly, meaning: "Before we replace the device, I would like to clarify whether this is even necessary." This is also quite in my mind, before the defective device has to travel halfway around the world or even be disposed of. I don't have a problem with suffering these crashes for a few days, in principle the device works and I can continue to use the time to get to know it.
Unstable running androids are a typical phenomenon of failed firmware updates and there are a few tricks to cure that.
I will keep you informed.

Offline Micsig_support

• Regular Contributor
  • Manufacturer of digital oscilloscopes from China
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2021, 09:20:11 am »
Hello, Micsig support here. Batronix told us this  problem.

We are sorry to bring you this trouble. and I told them they can change a new oscilloscope to you.
We will analyze the reason and keep you news updated .

thanks for your support for us.
JL

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, tv84, electr_peter, Fungus, 2N3055, Pfriemler

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2021, 09:44:58 am »
 That is good customer support from MICSIG  :-+
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2021, 12:21:33 pm »
YEAH, the 2nd Micsig is here and is running behind me for ~1h. Some differences from the first, such as a DC offset of 1-4 mV on all channels (open input noise signal misses zero on both DC and AC couplings, maybe a self-calibration can help) - something I don't remember - the screenshots from the first show an offset of <1mV on only one channel). This is not something that makes me nervous, as it got less over time and is now <1mV (to check, just press the trigger button and watch the trigger level set). At first glance, the measurement accuracy is the same or even better.

And: the fan runs continuously and seems louder to me, but still very healthy. The noise of the first one was definitely lower than that of my souped-up old oscilloscope, this one is more of the same. Maybe it's the battery charge now, we'll see. Or maybe a very specific internal overheating caused the first scope to crash when the fan stopped working (as it did often)?

Nevertheless: it runs as it should: stable and good :-+.

No, this time I did not update the "Sys Update" app on the market, nor the Scope itself. Only the FTP server had to be installed. Wifi has the exclamation mark (!) on, but works fine. Reconnect is not yet tested.

What is important for this thread:
- the "About" screen is - as Fungus said - 100% the same, including the respective version numbers.
- the "Oscilloscope" app version is 1.0.108 - the same! (Settings > Apps > slide to "all", or tap and hold the app icon and drag it to the top of the screen (i) )
- opening the AppMarket, the app version "Smart Oscilloscope" is 1.0.108 - not 1.0.4, as with my first Micsig and Fungus'.
AFAIK it's a pretty big step from version 1.0.4 to 1.0.108, so why the store did offer that?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:24:26 pm by Pfriemler »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 01:08:00 pm »
YEAH, the 2nd Micsig is here and is running behind me for ~1h. Some differences from the first, such as a DC offset of 1-4 mV on all channels (open input noise signal misses zero on both DC and AC couplings, maybe a self-calibration can help)

Yes, that's what self-calibration is for.

And: the fan runs continuously and seems louder to me, but still very healthy. The noise of the first one was definitely lower than that of my souped-up old oscilloscope, this one is more of the same. Maybe it's the battery charge now, we'll see. Or maybe a very specific internal overheating caused the first scope to crash when the fan stopped working (as it did often)?

The fan is temperature controlled so it turns on/off.

My fan doesn't usually turn on until the 'scope's been running for 20 minutes or so. It lets me know when it's warmed up enough for a self-cal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:15:36 pm by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 01:11:29 pm »
- opening the AppMarket, the app version "Smart Oscilloscope" is 1.0.108 - not 1.0.4, as with my first Micsig and Fungus'.
AFAIK it's a pretty big step from version 1.0.4 to 1.0.108, so why the store did offer that?

It's still "1.0" so only a minor update.

I wonder what the differences are, and if there's an updated firmware out there then why doesn't it download on mine?

Offline Monty

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2021, 08:04:21 pm »
You can unlock STO1104C to STO1104E quite easily by using EFT Pro and Samsung ODIN3 tool. At first you must dump oscilloscope ROM to file. Then split ROM to file system Folders and bootloader file, cut spare space and then modify files responsible for S/N number  and model parameters setting. Then you must load back to oscilloscope part of memory with modified model parameters. You can also probably able to add label function, segmented memory option from STO2000 series models, but I never tried this. So I think it does not make sense to pay more for STO1104E model. HW in model C and E is identical. Motherboards in both are the same STO1000_V5X_MB. Of course STO2000 HW is different. I think there will be somebody who will make complex tool for hacking/unlocking micsig STO1000 series features similary as with Siglent oscilloscopes.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:29 pm »
What about converting to ATO1104?

Offline Micsig_support

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2021, 08:16:51 am »

are  you using in automotive diagnostic area?
JL

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2021, 09:30:45 am »

Myself no. But is the € difference in any specific software that comes with the scope?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:37 am »

is the € difference in any specific software that comes with the scope?

Yes, the "A" versions have "automotive" functions.

See the comparison chart: https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Micsig-STO1104C.html

You also get probes with alligator clips and needles:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:41:04 am by Fungus »

Offline Monty

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »

You need ROM file from automotive version. You can try it yourself.

Offline Micsig_support

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2021, 10:31:21 am »
hi, this is the ATO1104 standard accessories right now.

And we also send free carry strap , screen make and BNC cap which we did not put them on.
JL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf