Author Topic: My Micsig received an update today! (19 June 2021)  (Read 10828 times)

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
My Micsig received an update today! (19 June 2021)
« on: June 19, 2021, 01:37:07 pm »
I was fiddling with my Micsig a few minutes ago and there was a new "Sys Update" button under "Apps":

I pressed the button, it downloaded something and installed it. I don't know if the main oscilloscope software has changed (yet) but a green "System Upgrade" icon definitely appeared on the scope's desktop.  :-+

Now let's see if I can find anything else that's new...  :)

nb. You need WiFi enabled to receive these, obviously. I always have it connected so I can use the built-in FTP server to copy screenshots to my PC.

Edit: The "System Upgrade" icon only opens a window that says "No new version!"

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:41:18 pm by Fungus »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: My Micsig received an update today! (19 June 2021)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 02:10:18 pm »
So, what is your current FW version?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 04:16:05 pm »
So, what is your current FW version?

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: My Micsig received FW update
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 12:52:34 pm »
This a process of upgrading Micsig oscilloscope via Android "App market". I have upgraded my unit few months back to 1.0.4. FW version 1.0.4 is currently the latest, there was no new FW available during this period for STO1104C/E series.

• Super Contributor
Re: My Micsig received FW update
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 02:11:03 pm »
This a process of upgrading Micsig oscilloscope via Android "App market". I have upgraded my unit few months back to 1.0.4. FW version 1.0.4 is currently the latest, there was no new FW available during this period for STO1104C/E series.

The download seemed quite small, too small for a 'scope software update.

OTOH this update wasn't there before and it did add the green "System Upgrade" to my 'scope. I wonder if Micsig is planning something bigger soon. I suppose time will tell.

PS: Does anybody else have this? Did you have the green icon before?

Offline Hundleton1

• Contributor
  • Also known as Ian
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 03:50:08 pm »
Looks like they just added a new system update app, I have the same now, it shows no new version at the moment but i guess something is to come.
A little bit Mad here and there.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 03:02:32 pm »
i guess something is to come.

It sure looks like it to me.  :)

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:55 am »
I just brought my Micsig STO1104C into life today. Mmm ... I did not look to the exact Android version and bulit...
It was packed @Micsig in Nov 2020.

From the "AppMarket", I installed "FTP Server" and "Sys Update", thus 2 new icons "AndroidFTP" and "SystemUpgrade" appeared on the desktop. Quite the normal behavior of any Android device.
Starting "SystemUpgrade", it downloaded "Version 17" (which was about 241 MB if I remember correctly). The process was interrupted by me by changing the network connection from WLAN to LAN, but resumend after disconnecting and reconnecting the network connection.
When download was completed (which took a incredibly long time) a button "Update" appeared. I hit this and the device did an usual OS update (with the android robot and a progress bar below), coming up to
Android 5.1.1. / Kernel 3.4.39 (Mon Oct 12 2020) / Built LMY48G release-keys Ver 17. ("Settings" > "System" > "About")

Stock ROM apps are normally updated with OS updates. My "Oscilloscope" app is now 1.0.108. ("Settings" > "Apps" > switch to tab "all" > "Oscilloscop").

If I remember correctly, it was 1.0.4. before, too.

Do not mix up firmware and app versions. I think, Fungus has just installed the Sys Update app from AppMarket yet.

edit: The "Oscilloscope" app itself is only ~28 MB. Upgrading the app should be much faster than this Ver 17 upgrade. But I think, they make heavy use of special OS features and newer app versions will not work with ancient OS builts, so upgrading OS is the better way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:03:08 pm by Pfriemler »
once you do it right, it works :-)

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 01:26:51 pm »
offtopic (but nowhere found a better place to post)

... WiFi ... I always have it connected so I can use the built-in FTP server to copy screenshots to my PC.

I have some problems with that: After boot, my STO1104C often fails to connect. I have to go to the home screen and call the Wifi settings to reconnect.
This can be a special issue with my AVM router and repeaters.
Did you ever experienced this?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 01:47:13 pm »

No, never had a problem.

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 06:35:26 pm »
... arrgh ... the notebook needs more than a minute to connect, too. Something's definitly going wrong here ...  |O

Another topic:
Has anyone else here updated to "version 17" / 108?

This was my first day exploring all the menus - I have a bunch of questions to answer, I think it's time for a bug thread since I haven't found anything like this for the MSO5k or the Siglents. Since they have the same UI and basically the same hardware, this could be a thread for all TO, ATO and STO models.

This stress test was the first for my device, for me - and also with the 17 version. Having read a lot of praise here on the forum about the mature software and stable running, I'm very concerned in the evening of the day that I must have "shot down" the Scope half a dozen times today, only a reboot got it going again. This could be an issue with my setup here (hope not with the WLAN), with my device hardware or with this new software...

I hope this is not normal like this. Once working, everything runs fine, but don't turn an encoder too fast ...
Generally I had 5 readings on screen, the hardware frequency counter running and a pair of cursor on the screen with up to 4 channels with signals up to 100 MHz running <10Vpp. That should bring no device into difficulties.

Do your Micsigs run more stable - and also after the upgrade?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:13 pm »
Do not mix up firmware and app versions. I think, Fungus has just installed the Sys Update app from AppMarket yet.

Yes, so far I only got a new Sys Update App. I'll check tomorrow if there's a "firmware" update.

I've had mine for nearly a year and it's never crashed or done anything weird.

Question: Does an Android "factory reset" revert to the original firmware?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:40:48 pm by Fungus »

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 08:03:04 pm »
I've had mine for nearly a year and it's never crashed or done anything weird.
Damned.

Question: Does an Android "factory reset" revert to the original firmware?

Very unlikely, as I think this update today was a firmware patch.

If the new version is buggy, only a dedicated firmware downgrade can help, which have to be proven by Micsig. Smartphones normally do not allow this due to security reasons, all the minor updates/upgrades known by Samsung&Co are "one way without return", at least if they were installed like this (the firmware patch is stored in a special area and the bootloader then switches to processes the patch, altering the installed firmware, then a reboot start the new firmware/OS, the user data are not affected. The patch files are deleted, different to Windows updates there are no uninstallation informations.

A factory reset only cleans user data space and - hopefully - wipe the cache partition. Android firmwares always contains more or less apps, which can be updated by user via app store or sideload (i.e. from usb memory) - the firmware versions remain "muted" in the firmware area, the updates are installed separately. A factory reset removes all updates and reactivate all pre-installed apps in the firmware.

Keep in mind: Never touch a running system.

If my unstable version is a firmware issue, I hope Micsig will fix it soon.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 08:31:33 pm »
The oscilloscope part isn't "firmware" though, it's just another app on the device.

ie. You can close it and re-launch it from the Android home screen.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 08:39:59 pm »
My ATO1102 is running Linux and is very stable. I do wonder why MICSIG moved to Android. :-//
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 04:35:29 am »
My ATO1102 is running Linux and is very stable. I do wonder why MICSIG moved to Android. :-//

Android is Linux  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:45:35 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, shakalnokturn

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 07:02:31 am »
Yeah I worded that badly. In my my software download area MICSIG described my unit as running “Linux” yet the STO series DSO was described as “Android”. MICSIG appeared to have changed from a pure Linux Kernel to the Android version. I have not delved deeper into the matter though.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 07:45:03 am »
Android is Linux. AFAIK MicSig has always used Android as the base OS for their tablet oscilloscopes. Likely due to better support for touchscreen and gestures.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 09:37:22 am »
Interesting. The labelling of the software update confused me. I thought it odd to change from one OS to another for a very similar product. Thank you both for clearing up this confusion for me  :-+ It is ‘early days’ for me and my ATO1102 unit but I must say I enjoy using it as I have become so used to touch screen tablets. I still use conventional DSO’s but the MICSIG is an interesting change of format. It seems very well designed and it’s software is stable  :-+
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:42:03 am by Fraser »

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 12:29:13 pm »
I have some problems with that: After boot, my STO1104C often fails to connect. I have to go to the home screen and call the Wifi settings to reconnect.
This can be a special issue with my AVM router and repeaters.
... arrgh ... the notebook needs more than a minute to connect, too. Something's definitly going wrong here ...  |O
I have not experienced such behavior from STO1104E. WiFi connects straight away (if I leave it on in settings)  after booting. No problems with enabling/disabling WiFi or FTP via WiFi.

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 07:20:55 pm »
So I think it's time to inform my dealer and Micsig about my problems as soon as possible. There are definitely some issues with the horizontal encoder (it seems that the scope app is not able to process the commands fast enough. In addition, it could be that the scope hardware freezes periodically. However, maybe it is "only" a software problem
Only today the following happened:
(a) after starting the scope, there was no data acquisition, no lines, even when channels were turned on/off. Seems like the hardware is not responding, but the UI is. I had to turn off and wait a minute for it to work again.
b) while displaying a simple 27 MHz sine wave on one channel, the oscilloscope did three restarts in a row with no user action.

Wifi was better today. The Wifi icon still shows an exclamation mark (disturbed internet connection) - this is also (strangely) the error message, meaning: "no internet connection, no further connection attempts are made". However, Internet access works flawlessly...
After all, the thing connected by itself today. Once up and running, access via app, PC software and FTP is trouble-free.

And another strange observation I made today:
"Settings" > "Apps" > "All" reports version 1.0.108 for "Oscilloscope". In the AppStore the app "Smart Oscilloscope" still has the version 1.0.4. as already posted here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:20:36 am by Pfriemler »

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 07:31:18 pm »
For further investigation:
would you please report the Built-Version of the Androidt, as I did before:

Android 5.1.1. / Kernel 3.4.39 (Mon Oct 12 2020) / Built LMY48G release-keys Ver 17. ("Settings" > "System" > "About")

If someone uses the Ver 17, too, and have no bad experiences, I think there's no other way to return the whole device.
If your Micsig runs stable and you do not have the Ver 17 installed, a firmware downgrade or a patch could help me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:10 pm »
I just brought my Micsig STO1104C into life today. Mmm ... I did not look to the exact Android version and bulit...
It was packed @Micsig in Nov 2020.

From the "AppMarket", I installed "FTP Server" and "Sys Update", thus 2 new icons "AndroidFTP" and "SystemUpgrade" appeared on the desktop. Quite the normal behavior of any Android device.
Starting "SystemUpgrade", it downloaded "Version 17" (which was about 241 MB if I remember correctly).

Was this new 'scope that you updated immediately without using the previous version?

I haven't had time to check for updated 'scope App for mine yet. I've been out of the house all week.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 07:30:29 am »
I just tried it and my Sys Update app still says "No new version!"

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:25 am »
Yes, I did update immediately after unboxing.
again: What is your exact model and firmware?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:14:41 am by Pfriemler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf