Author Topic: I just got my first oscilloscope!  (Read 1169 times)

Offline altmangfTopic starter

I just got my first oscilloscope!
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:48 am »
I finally got an oscilloscope! It's a Tektronix 2335 given to me by a generous neighbor in exchange for a 6-pack of Sanitas Black IPA. Nice!

Looking forward to calibrating the unit, as I'm sure documentation is readily available online. I've never calibrated a scope...what could possibly go wrong.  ;)

The handle is/stand is missing. Did these scopes use a standard form factor for the case? Maybe handles from other Tek oscilloscopes will fit?

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: I just got my first oscilloscope!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:59 am »
Congrats!

The following users thanked this post: altmangf

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 09:02:12 am »
Don't even think about calibrating it until you are very familiar with how scopes and probes should be used and how they work. You run the risk of misunderstanding something and screwing up your scope!

Have fun using it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: altmangf

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:53:45 pm »
^^^^ This!

Why mess with it?  Scopes are an 'about so much' kind of instrument.  A little + or - doesn't mean much.  I've been using scopes for a very long time and I have never removed the cover from my Tek 485.  It still shows traces, they pretty much look like what I expect and the Time/Div seems pretty close.  I don't even have the service manual because I know I don't have the tools or the capability to service it.  It works!  No need for me to break it...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf