Author Topic: I think I know why so many test leads...  (Read 8110 times)

Offline stazeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
I think I know why so many test leads...
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:08:22 am »
So, I'm trying to outfit myself with some test leads, and I think I just realized why people have so many... Because they're not modular.

Seems to me, you should be able buy two 48" (or 60") male to female leads, then add say, a male to male banana plug on the end for straight banana connections, or a male banana to aligator, or minigrabber, or whatever.

But from what I can tell, something like this doesn't exist. Anyone have any thoughts about this, or can point me in a direction? I realize as you get more equipment you need more leads, but it seems silly to have your leads be specialized like this.

Heck, even ends that were female banana to minigrabber would be fine, then you could use standard male to male banana cables.

Thanks!
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I think I know why so many test leads...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:26:29 am »
I normally don't like to advertise outside the buy/sell forum but what you are looking for seems to be exactly the kind of stuff I sell. My eBay link is in my signature. Have a look.

Cheers,
Franky
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:00 am »
Fluke has a fairly extensive line of modular clips, probes, clamps and wires and extensions. Thats why I went with their stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:46 am »
I normally don't like to advertise outside the buy/sell forum but what you are looking for seems to be exactly the kind of stuff I sell. My eBay link is in my signature. Have a look.

Cheers,
Franky

Indeed, some of this does appear to be what I'm after. Cool!
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:34:39 am »
Fluke has a fairly extensive line of modular clips, probes, clamps and wires and extensions. Thats why I went with their stuff.

Yes, and I have a fair amount of fluke stuff. but obviously you pay for it. I was looking at pomona stuff (which is the same as fluke, just a bit cheaper). =)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:19 am »
yes, I'm just daft and didn't search the right way. I see there are adapters now.

|O

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:07:09 am »
:)
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:16 am »
There are yet others that sell modular leads, such as Probemaster (excellent quality, and come in cheaper than either Fluke or Pomona). Worth a look IMHO if you can get them (US based, and primarily direct sales from what I can tell). BTW, their leads use silicone insulation, not PVC (much more flexible, and don't stiffen up over time as PVC does).

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:56 am »
So, I'm trying to outfit myself with some test leads, and I think I just realized why people have so many... Because they're not modular.

There are a few reasons not to go modular. You always miss that one adapter you knew you had, but can't find now. And every additional connection means an additional risk of something more going wrong, especially if you have cheap stuff.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:06 am »
As practical as modular test leads are, they also add resistance to the measuring path so in some cases is not recommended.
 :)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:40 pm »
So, I'm looking at all the lead options, and it seems like all the banana to banana leads are all PVC coated, except the sheathed ones, which don't really work for me unless I buy several sheathed to standard adapters.

For example (standard banana plugs):

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d_b_1_01.pdf
http://www.probemaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_14&products_id=213

Sheathed Banana plugs:

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d6727_001.pdf
http://www.probemaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_13&products_id=171

I mean, I can buy the wire (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pomona-Electronics/6733-0/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv8kklI404Qlaxjgs%2fYCix1) and make my own... which might be cheaper in the long run, but I figured I'd ask. Maybe this IS the only way to get silicone leads with "cheap" ends. =/

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »
As practical as modular test leads are, they also add resistance to the measuring path so in some cases is not recommended.

If the tiny resistance of the test leads has a significant effect on your measurement, you should be using a measurement technique that eliminates the effect. Kelvin measurement is possible without specialized equipment.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline eevblogfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:48 pm »
hey

I find myself using nothing more then banana to mini crock clip .  you may want also stackable banana to banana plug patch perhaps few of them , and some coax to coax 1M ones . af for the rest . can;t see justifying , look , you can use mail/femail  coax to mini/micro grabber or banana or crock clip or double banana connector ( low noise stuff ) and only if EMF and temp noise and that matter---> only then get yourself proper costume stuff , untill then - simply no need ( to my opinion any way  :-// )

Cheers ! :P

Offline mikes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »
... Anyone have any thoughts about this, or can point me in a direction? I realize as you get more equipment you need more leads, but it seems silly to have your leads be specialized like this.
Mueller makes some nice kits. You pay for quality, though.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »
I guess I should be a bit more specific.

I'm mainly interested in some banana to banana for things like my power supply to breadboard, then maybe some adapters for those banana jacks to something else so I could use them with my DMM, etc. But maybe I'm just cursed to having a rack of leads and to live with it.

I bought some cheap elenco banana to aligator leads (PVC) just to start with, but they're not the greatest.

Guessing I'm just going to have to either get PVC, or buy some wire and make my own. Seems like I could buy a 50' roll of silicone wire, then some of these: http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d1825-4897-4899-6545_101.pdf and just MAKE my own cables. Weird that that's something we have to do given Pomona's catalog.

Offline mikes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:59 pm »
So you just want silicone banana-banana? Google is your friend.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 06:04:41 pm »
well, ideally from Mouser or something like that. but yeah...

interesting though... caltest stuff is generally quite expensive. These are pretty reasonable.

Cool.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:51 pm »
I suggest home made like here.  I got the high quality Pomona silicone super fine stranded wire as shown in the same thread here. It is handy to have around to make quality leads of the length you want.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 06:36:35 pm »
I just bought some of the caltest ones from testpath. For now, I think these will work. But yes, next time I think I'll just make my own. =)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:39 pm »
Actually, canceled that order. Think I am going to just buy wire and make them myself.

alm

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:20 pm »
Hirschmann also make nice silicone-insulated banana leads, although not very easy to get in the US.

One additional disadvantage of modular leads is weight. The connector adds weight at the worst possible spot for things like grabbers and clips. This can pull the clip off, pull the PCB of the bench or even damage the pin in the case of tiny SMT components.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »
Yeah. Realized that as I was shopping.

At this point, I just bought a few adapters (banana couplers, shrouded to non-shrouded), some black silicone wire, and some solderless ends. This should get me most of what I need right now. I will eventually buy red wire, and some minigrabbers, but for now, I just wanted good hookups between my PSU and breadboard... and it should be easier in the long run to just make this stuff myself.

Thanks!

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
RadioShack of all places has an interesting set of adapters but a bit on the spendy side.

Micro Scale Test Lead Kit has short adapters from test leads to several useful items:
  • (2) Alligator-clip attachments (red, black)
    (2) Micro-plunger clip attachments (red, black)
    (2) Breadboard-pin attachments (red,black)
    (2) Needle-pin attachments (red, black)
    (2) Pin-socket attachments (red, black)
    (2) Magnetic-probe attachments (red, black)
    (1) Battery-current probe attachment
    (2) Nano-plunger clip attachments (red, black)

The magnetic probes are cool...make fast battery connections with them.  The battery current probe is a piece of double-sided circuit board designed it insert in between batteries in a battery pack.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:25 pm »
I actually have some of these. They're not bad, but they're pretty much only for probing. =/

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »
That's actually not too spendy for what you get - test leads are usually a bit expensive. I wonder if they are any good, though.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf