Author Topic: Automated voltage rail monitoring  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Russ.Dill@gmail.comTopic starter

• Contributor
Automated voltage rail monitoring
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:08 pm »
I get a piece of test equipment that will allow me to monitor several voltage rails as part of an automated test. I just need to measure DC levels. I don't care if it's USB, serial, network, or other.  Multiple channels would be nice, but if it's only one channel, I can buy multiple.

I see stuff like the USBee DX, but it's got way more features than I need and the cost is way too high, especially when you need more than 2 channels:

http://www.usbee.com/dx.html

Any tips?

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Automated voltage rail monitoring
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:53 pm »
I get a piece of test equipment that will allow me to monitor several voltage rails as part of an automated test. I just need to measure DC levels. I don't care if it's USB, serial, network, or other.  Multiple channels would be nice, but if it's only one channel, I can buy multiple.

I see stuff like the USBee DX, but it's got way more features than I need and the cost is way too high, especially when you need more than 2 channels:

Any tips?

That is QUITE pricey for what it is IMHO. I am not size is an issue but there are a variety of scanning DMMs out there. You don't mention, do you have a required precision or accuracy, minimum number of channels, voltage range?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:08:30 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »

http://www.mccdaq.com/

Will sell you USB data acquisition modules starting at $99 for 8 single ended 12 bit channels.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »

Will sell you USB data acquisition modules starting at $99 for 8 single ended 12 bit channels.

That looks quite good and likely would fit pretty well with the OP's requirements. Though I see no mentions of accuracy of the readings.

If he needs something a bit more high powered there are always the Agilent 34790A data acquisition systems. They can do more than just DC monitoring and are typically $500-900 on ebay, but can monitor a high number of channels and has 22bit (6.5 digit) and 0.004% accuracy.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:19 pm »

Any tips?

That is QUITE pricey for what it is IMHO. I am not size is an issue but there are a variety of scanning DMMs out there. You don't mention, do you have a required precision or accuracy, minimum number of channels, voltage range?

4 digits would be fine, accuracy really only needs to be around 10mV, voltage range +/-10V. I can always add more devices to get more channels.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:46:57 pm »
If you don't mind one that is a bit old, check out the Keithley 199 DMM (with the Option 1992 multiplex interface). It will give you up to 8 channels, controllable via GPIP.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:50:49 pm by PedroDaGr8 »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:16 pm »

They have an open source API that uses libusb, nice. It's .net/mono but really that's just a personal prejudice and not a technical one. I'll give it a go :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf