Author Topic: If Brymen BM869s is cheaper and as good, why people would still buy Fluke?  (Read 194913 times)

Offline kasone

• Contributor
Wraper, The Fluke lifetime warranty applied to me. If you want search my post on Fluke warranty for details.

Also, one function that the Flukes(76, 77, 177, 179, & 83-V) that I have experience with have that I do not see mentioned is the fact that in the diode test mode, when the diode is forward biased, the Flukes give a short beep to indicate a good diode. Reverse bias gives no sound on a good diode. As a technician who does a lot of repairs, I appreciate this feature as I can quickly tell if a diode is good or bad while concentrating on where my test leads are at.

If this feature is on other meters, I do not know about it.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Wraper, The Fluke lifetime warranty applied to me. If you want search my post on Fluke warranty for details.

Also, one function that the Flukes(76, 77, 177, 179, & 83-V) that I have experience with have that I do not see mentioned is the fact that in the diode test mode, when the diode is forward biased, the Flukes give a short beep to indicate a good diode. Reverse bias gives no sound on a good diode. As a technician who does a lot of repairs, I appreciate this feature as I can quickly tell if a diode is good or bad while concentrating on where my test leads are at.

If this feature is on other meters, I do not know about it.
From Fluke website:
Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty
Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996). The warranty does not cover manuals, fuses, disposable batteries, damage from neglect, misuse, contamination, alteration, accident or abnormal conditions of operation or handling, including failures caused by use outside of the product's specifications, or normal wear and tear of mechanical components. This warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable. This warranty covers the LCD for 10 years only (state-of-the-art for LCDs). To establish original ownership proof of purchase is required (20, 70, 80, 170, 180 and 280 models). THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS ARE INTENDED FOR SALE AND USE IN THE CHINESE AND HIGH GROWTH MARKETS ONLY AND AVAILABLE FOR WARRANTY PROTECTION ONLY IF SOLD, PURCHASED AND USED SOLELY FROM AN AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR WITHIN THESE TERRITORIES: 101, 106, 107, 15B+, 17B+ and 18B+. THE WARRANTY FOR THESE PRODUCTS IS VOID IF THE PRODUCT IS SOLD, PURCHASED OR USED OUTSIDE OF THESE TERRITORIES, OR FROM UNAUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS AND NO WARRANTY COVERAGE, SERVICE, REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT WILL BE PROVIDED.

Offline kasone

• Contributor
I am just sharing my experience with Fluke service.

Others on this site have also reported this kind of service from Fluke, so I am not alone. see here: Multimeter repair time again! Fluke 177, reads -.8 ohms 

Fluke is a top notch company which is willing to help the users of their equipment in my opinion.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
*snipped Fluke warranty text*

That's just to insure themselves if they decide for whatever reason to deny claims. It's like Victorinox, their warranty states that abuse and normal wear is not covered, but when you send in a knife with a broken off blade, or even a knife where nothing is broken and it's just scratched and dinged up, they just send you a brand new one, no questions asked.
for(;;);

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I find it interesting that when it comes to the discussion of warranties, only the letters of a warranty as written are important when it is some company that people don't want to trust, but when it is a company they prefer to trust anecdotes are more than sufficient to support their position.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Fluke is a top notch company which is willing to help the users of their equipment in my opinion.
As anecdotal evidence, Brymen also gave me good service on a meter out of warranty and purchased at eBay. Check:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/excellent-brymen-customer-support/

I find it interesting that when it comes to the discussion of warranties, only the letters of a warranty as written are important when it is some company that people don't want to trust, but when it is a company they prefer to trust anecdotes are more than sufficient to support their position.
Lightages, I agree this is unfair but as I said in the other thread: Brymen, on the other hand, will always be put to test in its pursuit of perfection.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
I wonder if Fluke will exchange my volt stick? I accidentally gave it a wash with my clothes.  :'(
After drying it out it and changing  batteries it does seem to mostly work but I no longer trust it.

Hopefully it will no questions asked, but somehow I doubt it.

I will give them a try.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Brymen, on the other hand, will always be put to test in its pursuit of perfection.
Oh I agree this is a fact of life. The newcomer, or underdog, is always put under more scrutiny than the established players, regardless of any recent problems for the established. It is the way for anything and anyone. Then there are some who are religious in their faith of a brand without any chance of consideration for a different brand. I think the word "religion" is quite apt.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
Then there are some who are religious in their faith of a brand without any chance of consideration for a different brand. I think the word "religion" is quite apt.

Indeed, it's almost like some people think Bryman is the meter messiah  :-DD
for(;;);

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Then there are some who are religious in their faith of a brand without any chance of consideration for a different brand. I think the word "religion" is quite apt.

Indeed, it's almost like some people think Bryman is the meter messiah  :-DD

Are you referring to me? If not, who?

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
I really wish that Dave would lock this thread. It is nothing more than dick waving contest between Fluke fanboys and Brymen Fanboys.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Why? As long as it stays civilized, it is beneficial to highlight the strong and weak features of both meters. That should answer the OP's original question. There is no bad meter here, just different beasts. Pick the one that fits your needs better.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
After watching some videos it seems that Fluke has a better fuse access than Brymen. Why can't all Brymen meters be like BM257?
Overall, Brymen is still very good bang per buck.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I would guess that it is difficult, and expensive, to design and build a CATIV/1000V meter with easy fuse access.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
After watching some videos it seems that Fluke has a better fuse access than Brymen.

Access to change the fuse is a very minor point, it should be an item that seldom needs to be replaced.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Yes, but I like when fuses are easy accessible. Unlike my Uni-t UT70A.  :--

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor

If you're blowing a lot of fuses then you're doing something wrong.

Opening up a meter to change a fuse should be a punishment - to remind you not to do that again.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek

If you're blowing a lot of fuses then you're doing something wrong.

Opening up a meter to change a fuse should be a punishment - to remind you not to do that again.
I have no way, ADHD makes me do dumb things quite often.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
If you're blowing a lot of fuses
No, I am not.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
If you're blowing a lot of fuses
No, I am not.

Then what's the problem?  :-//

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
I have no way, ADHD makes me do dumb things quite often.

Blow your last fuse then get one of these: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

Problem solved.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:37:27 pm by Fungus »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
I really wish that Dave would lock this thread. It is nothing more than dick waving contest between Fluke fanboys and Brymen Fanboys.

At least that means there is not just all Fluke fanboi's around , how boring would that be!
Soon

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Do Fluke, Hioki and Keysight DMMs have lower power consumption than Brymen? According to product datasheets I think so.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor

Of course! With a subject line like that? I'd be disappointed if it wasn't - it would mean the forums are dead.

People in here waving dick means the forums are alive and well. No need to lock anything.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: rch

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
I wonder if Fluke will exchange my volt stick? I accidentally gave it a wash with my clothes.  :'(
After drying it out it and changing  batteries it does seem to mostly work but I no longer trust it.

Hopefully it will no questions asked, but somehow I doubt it.

I will give them a try.
And I taught that my dad is the only one who forget things in the pockets who later go to wash (aka money).
they should put make "washing machine safe (WMS)" products.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf