Author Topic: If you can't afford a DS1052E...  (Read 5382 times)

Offline ikraseTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
If you can't afford a DS1052E...
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:25:49 am »
I think I'm going to need a scope for my upcoming mass spectrometer work.

(I will also need a function generator but for that I will get a FeelTech or JDS.)

While the DS1054Z and the cheaper DS1052E look like pretty attractive options, they still cost a bit more than I want to spend.

I don't really want to buy an older DSO. (Brick-like proportions, uncommon interfaces, remarkably poor performance in some metrics compared to newer low-cost gear, etc)

What do you think the best option is? Are there viable options below the level of a DS1052E? Find a used Rigol or Siglent scope (seems uncommmon)?

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Re: If you can't afford a DS1052E...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:48:10 am »
You do not want one the cheapest scopes on the market that still kinda works and is not a toy..
You do not want an old DSO (the once that are still really usable cost more as the Rigol, they perform often better but indeed are big)

That leaves you the choice between an analog scope and the Chinesium toy scopes, and maybe some of the cheapest scopemeters with a whopping 1 MHz bandwidth.

I want a 50 GHz VNA for the price of an antenna analyser  >:D
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:49:29 am »
Q1) What frequency ranges do you need to look at?

Q2) How many channels?

Q3) Any other required features?

There's mini oscilloscopes around, eg. these. They work OK within their limitations (up to about 8MHz), the main problem with them is the awful user interface.

If you only need audio frequencies then a PC sound card  might do.

Getting hold of a second-hand 'scope is risky and availability will depend a lot on where you live. Most second-hand stuff tends to be very old (and  huge!)

The DS1054Z is really the one to aim for. You wouldn't regret spending the extra money.

PS: It's hard to recommend a DS1052E, the difference between a DS1052E and a DS1054Z is massive in terms of features.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:55:41 am by Fungus »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:59:26 am »
Siglient SDS-1072CML+ $298 Aust which is around $$250 USD
https://www.wavecom.com.au/product_view.php?id_product=1024

Its a little bandwidth limited but cheap. Pity your in USA.  I suspect you can get cheaper used in USA...the Australia used market is outrageously overpriced. 
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:47:38 am »
All replies are becoming pointless if the OP doesn't provide the maximum budget. Freebie ? $1 ? $10 ? $100 ?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:07:34 pm »
All replies are becoming pointless if the OP doesn't provide the maximum budget. Freebie ? $1 ? $10 ? $100 ?

And requirements other than cost, like Fungus asked.

Offline ikraseTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:27:11 am »
Yes.

For right now, I'm essentially looking at 5 megahertz... and the requisite harmonics incl. square waves.

In the near future though, I anticipate working with HF ham radio equipment.

I don't initially see why I would need more than two channels, and I don't have the serious need for SPI on the scope, but I can see why it would be nice for only slightly more cost.

I was hoping for a budget under 200 and ideally under 150, though at that rate it starts to look like "wait for somebody to sell their used Rigol" or "Save up for the lowest end Rigol/Siglent" is a better option.   

"Older DSOs Considered Harmful" is indeed part of what I was hoping to hear (or not hear) from this. Though still a bit intrigued by what is wrong with i.e. an HP 546xxB.

Thank you, everybody.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:45 am »
For right now, I'm essentially looking at 5 megahertz... and the requisite harmonics incl. square waves.
5MHz square is you need like 50MHz DSO BW to comfortably look at it.

In the near future though, I anticipate working with HF ham radio equipment.
save up from now you are going to need it when people start advising on spectrum analyzer, VNA etc, those are not cheap even 5th hand.

I don't initially see why I would need more than two channels
with this kind of mentality, still you need to save up because you are going to need more. sooner or later.

and I don't have the serious need for SPI on the scope, but I can see why it would be nice for only slightly more cost.
you can get clone salae logic 8 or 16 for this, cheap so no worry for now.

I was hoping for a budget under 200 and ideally under 150, though at that rate it starts to look like "wait for somebody to sell their used Rigol" or "Save up for the lowest end Rigol/Siglent" is a better option.   
if you buy the cheap crap arm DSO kit, which within your budget rate (incl FG i guess) soon you'll realize you'll need to save up for DS1054Z. my advice borrow money from parents, friends or boss, buy a DS1054Z (or siglent whatever at the same spec), and then work hard from that and pay the bill later. or if borrowing is not an option, then buy the arm cheap crap DSO (or used CRO) and then save up you are going to need that.

"Older DSOs Considered Harmful" is indeed part of what I was hoping to hear (or not hear) from this.
no, if you are in the USA (minimal to none shipping cost) and you know how to look for. make sure the used CRO is in working properly condition before buying. analog CRO is a lot better than cheap crap arm DSO.

Though still a bit intrigued by what is wrong with i.e. an HP 546xxB.
nothing wrong if its working. even some fanboys here swear by the analog CRO even if they can afford a DSO. ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:30:15 am »

So forget 8MHz bandwidth...

I don't initially see why I would need more than two channels, and I don't have the serious need for SPI on the scope, but I can see why it would be nice for only slightly more cost.

Are you ever going to spend time working on anything digital? If not then 2 channels is usually OK.

There's a 2-channel Siglent for about the same price as the DS1054Z. Might be worth considering.

2nd hand for under 200 is very unlikely.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:35:30 am »
There's a 2-channel Siglent for about the same price as the DS1054Z. Might be worth considering.
what are you smoking my friend? mine is tobacco leaf and disclaimer: its not good for health ;D i dont find it any rational people suggesting 2 wheeled machine with 4 wheeled machine, if both at the same price. afaik beside extra 2 channels, DS1054Z is the deepest memory in the price range...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:38:36 am »
"Older DSOs Considered Harmful" is indeed part of what I was hoping to hear (or not hear) from this.
no, if you are in the USA (minimal to none shipping cost) and you know how to look for. make sure the used CRO is in working properly condition before buying. analog CRO is a lot better than cheap crap arm DSO.

Though still a bit intrigued by what is wrong with i.e. an HP 546xxB.
nothing wrong if its working. even some fanboys here swear by the analog CRO even if they can afford a DSO. ymmv.

I have nothing against above good suggestions, just adding a little tiny details as devil loves to hide in there.  >:D

When you decided to buy an used and "working" CRO, "IF" bad luck strikes by tomorrow, and suddenly its dead, just pray that you don't need the "2nd" scope to fix it as most cases do.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:47:58 am »
If I were in your position, with very tight & limited budget, but still assuming the target is benchtop DSO, then I see the world is not only evolves between Rigol vs Siglent only, or Keysight, Tektronix, RS and etc.

Ignore the nay sayers about other "inferior" brands, like Owon, Atten and etc, look for the one that fit in your budget, forget about 100 MHz ... even 25 MHz is better than no scope at all.

My 2 0802 resistors worth.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
what are you smoking my friend? mine is tobacco leaf and disclaimer: its not good for health ;D i dont find it any rational people suggesting 2 wheeled machine with 4 wheeled machine, if both at the same price. afaik beside extra 2 channels, DS1054Z is the deepest memory in the price range...
On both counts yes and no !

2 wheeled Siglent machine runs to 2x the speed.
4 wheeled machine vs 4 wheeled Siglent is behind on memory depth. 24 vs 28 Mpts. (14 x 2)

There is no best scope, only one that best suits needs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:13:00 pm »
Dont forget about USB scopes..

https://resource.digilentinc.com/downloads/Academic_Prices.pdf

https://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-student-bundle/

Also I think Dave talks about them in his how to build your own lab video

About two minutes in or so

Share me