Author Topic: Rigol DS1052E channel 2 failed  (Read 3191 times)

Offline jms2Topic starter

Rigol DS1052E channel 2 failed
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:58 pm »
Hello,
I've got a frustrating problem with my Rigol DS1052E which I have owned for nearly 2 years now. It has had little use because I'm an electronics newbie, and on reflection I'm pretty sure that the problem with Channel 2 has been there since the very beginning - I just decided it was probably me doing something wrong!  ;D

Anyway, the problem was originally a lot of very high frequency noise on Channel 2. Swapping probes (or removing them) did not make any difference, but switching to a longer timebase did make it go away.

Now that I've decided it must be a real problem, Channel 2 now only flatlines - I get nothing at all on it. I'm pretty certain that something is broken.

I have tried approaching Rigol's UK distributor (Telonic) to make a warranty claim, but they referred me to Rigol in Germany. They won't help because I bought it from a non-approved supplier apparently. Telonic won't offer to repair it even in exchange for money (!) so I'm stuck.

My questions are:

1) Can anyone recommend someone who can repair it (for money).
2) Alternatively, do I have any chance of repairing it myself?

John

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
Re: Rigol DS1052E channel 2 failed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:28:01 am »
First, turn on your country flag so readers will know where you are.

Second, here are the schematics from dave's links; http://rigol.codenaschen.de/index.php/Schematics

Third, You may need another scope to fix your 1052.

Fourth, because of the price of a new 1054Z, it may not be worth putting too much money into your 1052.  You will have to decide.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:40 am »
Hi, thanks for the reponse. Figured out how to display where I live - obviously that's relevant for potential repair sites!

I should add that I have not done the 100Hz mod (or any other mods) to this scope. If it is a hardware fault (as I suspect) then it has been present since build.

I'm hoping it is something as simple as a dry joint, because I'd potentially be able to fix that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:39:42 am by jms2 »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »
Drieg is on eevblog, the question is is it worth the cost to ship it to him?

Repairing it yourself only you can answer that.  Even if you diagnose the problem, can you replace the part?

Channel failure is a good bet for successful repair because you can say inject a 1kHz signal into channel 1 and 2,  use your DMM counter to check the signal path flow and compare channel 1 and 2 side by side.  Whatever is missing is probably a fault.

It could be something as simple as a loose connection than a full part failure.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:56:40 pm »
Thanks, thats useful.  I think it could well be a loose connection,  and if so I can probably fix it. If it is something else then I can't fix it, but what I've concluded from the responses on here is that scope repair is not a readily available service!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf