Author Topic: WTF is the price?!  (Read 20089 times)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Re: WTF is the price?!
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2019, 10:03:25 am »
I'm going to assume that can be fixed. Did he showcase that in the video and I missed it?
He showed the huge errors, but no way to fix them. The bad contacts obviously could be fixed.

Note that he paid 100€ for his, so very much normal he got pissed when the one interesting function is useless and the rest is barely as good as a $15 meter.
Could have been jsut a faulty unit, but it seems the seller didn't take care of him and didn't want to replace it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:33:58 am by Kilrah »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2019, 10:44:15 am »
When I went back to check the stores Dave linked that reported no stock I noticed most only took fewer than a dozen orders. Is that all they had or is something afoot and the price is about to go up?

I decided AU$17 isn't too much to lose so I ordered one from Manbo Life Store. But Geez Louise Ali express doesn't make life easy for payments. I don't use it often and I ended up with 6 orders awaiting payment verification (which I cancelled) because the system failed on the check of the card expiry date.

I finally decided to try another computer just to be sure it wasn't a browser problem. It seems it was. There is something about my Linux Mint18.2/Firefox 69 setup that doesn't like Aliexpress.

Edit: Now this seller is reporting item no longer available. The stock dropped from 960 to about 900 before I saw this. I wonder if I'll get mine.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:09:06 am by wilfred »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2019, 10:57:56 am »
I'm going to assume that can be fixed. Did he showcase that in the video and I missed it?
He showed the huge errors, but no way to fix them. The bad contacts obviously could be.

I had some possible contact issues. Didn't looks further as it ultimately worked.

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2019, 11:35:05 am »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
Everybody seems to, the well has emptied...

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2019, 11:45:04 am »
Ahahahah
WTF with display? You get what You pay, isnt it?  :-DD

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:49:08 am by 001 »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2019, 11:50:40 am »
Edit: Now this seller is reporting item no longer available. The stock dropped from 960 to about 900 before I saw this. I wonder if I'll get mine.

I ordered 2 from him about 4 hours ago, the page now shows '75 orders' so I guess the 1000 they all showed was the total pool  :-DMM
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:54 am »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2019, 11:58:44 am »
I still suspect most, but not all, of the listings were mostly-automated drop shippers with no actual inventory, designed to make a few bucks on price differences. We will find out soon enough. Any that end up not being able to deliver will have to cancel.

More likely if they don't want/cant send it they will just give you some phoney tracking number, and in a couple months when the shipping times out you'll lodge a dispute with Ali and eventually get your money back.

I have *never* (in many hundreds of ali purchases) had a seller cancel a deal, it always just never arrives, tracking code never works, whatever, but they will always try it on because some people will forget about it and not lodge a dispute in time.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2019, 12:01:39 pm »

I ordered 2 from him about 4 hours ago, the page now shows '75 orders' so I guess the 1000 they all showed was the total pool  :-DMM
That's a more generous take on it than I'd give them. I think they are exploiting the EEVblog effect. Dave all but came out and said this would happen. In fact he probably did say it.

Buy now ask questions later. Is the rule.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2019, 03:21:45 pm »
He showed the huge errors, but no way to fix them. The bad contacts obviously could be fixed.

At the end of the video he is also saying that there's some trimmers on the board and he was suggesting it might be for calibration / adjustment.

I guess we will all know in couples of weeks  :-DD

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2019, 04:01:51 pm »
That would be very very bad ... pots in a calibrator  ;D . Even recent chinese 10-20$ multimeters ( Aneng for example ) don't have pots anymore .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:08:36 pm by CDaniel »

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »
I had one in my shopping cart for $6.20 shipping included yesterday, but end up abandoning the cart.  Already too many handheld DMM as is, definitely do not need to add a low quality unit to the mix as I will never use it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2019, 04:42:28 pm »

That's a more generous take on it than I'd give them. I think they are exploiting the EEVblog effect. Dave all but came out and said this would happen. In fact he probably did say it. Buy now ask questions later. Is the rule.

Yup. Exactly so.

Bought mine on House of Happiness' 1st relisting of the product; they showed 1000 pieces in stock, 2 sold when I bought yesterday at like minutes before midnight Tejas time. It looks like they relisted a 2nd time after that, which was quickly shut down as OOS after just a few sales. We'll see if the fact I sprung the extra $2 for ePacket makes any difference.  :-//

mnem
Lets hope I make it there before they do... :o
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:44:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2019, 05:03:41 pm »
That would be very very bad ... pots in a calibrator  ;D . Even recent chinese 10-20$ multimeters ( Aneng for example ) don't have pots anymore .

Trimmers are not necessarily a problem when they are good quality. A lot of metrological instruments have those adjustments. Companies started removing manual adjustments since they automate everything to lower production costs.

Personally I would prefer if the instrument can be manually adjusted.

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2019, 05:36:21 pm »
Chinese pots couldn't be good quality  :P , anyway when you have precision laser trimmed resistors you don't want pots , that's old technology ( and cheaper ) .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:38:40 pm by CDaniel »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »
This is just a process calibrator, it's not a real dc calibrator. .02% isn't going to be hard to get with trimmers even cheap ones. Based on the parts used though I doubt they're the cheapest things they could find.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2019, 06:45:56 pm »
I bought 2 just to pick the LCD, IO hope they will ship, because of now all did an uptick one price, and it's quite  a lot

The party is over   :--

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2019, 07:38:58 pm »
Chinese pots couldn't be good quality  :P , anyway when you have precision laser trimmed resistors you don't want pots , that's old technology ( and cheaper ) .

Custom laser trimmed resistor ? I don't think we are talking about the same 8$ Process Calibrator anymore  ^-^

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2019, 07:46:42 pm »
Laser trimmed resistors you're not even talking the original 200$ anymore.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2019, 03:22:15 am »
Dave's You Tube video linked below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=y3h02BDPMJw

Unsure how to embed video as youtube icon missing from selection  :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:06:59 am by 1anX »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2019, 05:02:07 am »
Dave's embedded the video in the blog thread for it.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1248-insane-a-0-02-process-meter-for-$9-wtf/

Of course the dreaded "$" embedded character in a URL bug strikes. Isn't about time you fixed this Dave?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1248-insane-a-0-02-process-meter-for-$9-wtf/

I think that if you embed a time to start playing in the URL then it doesn't show as embedded. Never tested this theory.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:06:36 am by wilfred »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2019, 08:19:55 am »
I just felt a bit meh about this one. As a multimiter it's just your everage $5 one but it cantains a very accurate voltage/current source which is nice but who has a need for that. the 0.02% is for the current/voltage source, not the multimeter.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2019, 08:23:17 am »
People who work at disneyland taking care of machinery?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2019, 08:27:13 am »
what machinery needs testing with a voltage/current source?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf