Author Topic: DMM Viewer for Gwinstek GDM-8251A  (Read 2040 times)

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DMM Viewer for Gwinstek GDM-8251A
« on: November 23, 2022, 03:58:46 pm »
On Gwinstek web site it says the DMM Viewer software came free with the GDM-8251A.  I bought it used and didn't get any software.  They don't appear to have the software on their web site.

Does anyone by any chance have the software they could share with me?  I'd like to see what sort of data is being sent to the PC from this meter.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: DMM Viewer for Gwinstek GDM-8251A
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:03:44 pm »
Try downloading from here https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GDM-8255A
Also IIRC unless you log in, not all of the download options may be shown.
EDIT: nope, does not show even when logged in. Also apparently GDM-825xA share the same firmware, so GDM-8255A software should work.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:12:16 pm by wraper »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 04:51:02 pm »
Their log in is broken. I've created two accounts now and can't get in :(  Very frustrating.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 06:04:37 pm »
Extract both archives to the same folder. Too large to upload as a single file.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 06:05:27 pm »
Part 2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:11:05 pm »
Thanks got both of them and put into the same folder :)

Offline Perkele

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 07:47:01 pm »
This model should be supported by sigrok. A GUI that supports multimeters is called SmuView.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 03:41:19 am »
This model should be supported by sigrok. A GUI that supports multimeters is called SmuView.

I'll check out Sigrok and see what that is all about :)  Thanks.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 03:58:07 am »
Try this link.  It is not the GW-Instek DMM Viewer, but is a custom-written program called tsDMM-Viewer.  It is in Japanese and English and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might be interesting. 

https://www.ts-software-jp.net/download/tsdmv1530.zip

Otherwise, HKJ might be able to tell you how to add support for your meter to Test Controller or explain why it might not be possible.  Test Controller supports your UT61E, so it is worth downloading and trying just for that.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 04:16:18 am »

Darn it, the Sigrok doesn't run on my Apple Mac Mini M1.

I am thinking about getting an older Mac Mini for like $150, just to install MS Windows on it.  I can sit it on top of my mini m1, should look nice.  I need a PC for all these PC only apps I've been running into in the electronics realm.  (I used PC's for years my first being an IBM XT clone.. the first MS Windows I used was Windows 386 back in 1989 or so; switched to Mac back in 2008 -- hackintosh rather.. then bought a legit mac, the mac mini m1, last year.)

Try this link.  It is not the GW-Instek DMM Viewer, but is a custom-written program called tsDMM-Viewer.  It is in Japanese and English and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might be interesting. 

https://www.ts-software-jp.net/download/tsdmv1530.zip

Otherwise, HKJ might be able to tell you how to add support for your meter to Test Controller or explain why it might not be possible.  Test Controller supports your UT61E, so it is worth downloading and trying just for that.

Yeah I want to try out Test Controller as well. :)  Yeah I didn't see the 8251A meter listed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 04:25:55 am by JenniferG »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 04:30:21 am »
Apple Mac Mini M1.

Oh dear!  Get a cheap used PC laptop for those apps.  I have my decade-plus old laptop just for banging around with this sort of stuff.  That setup is also handy when you need to leave it connected or in an odd place while you use your main computer normally.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 04:46:01 am »
Apple Mac Mini M1.

Oh dear!  Get a cheap used PC laptop for those apps.  I have my decade-plus old laptop just for banging around with this sort of stuff.  That setup is also handy when you need to leave it connected or in an odd place while you use your main computer normally.
That makes sense, vs. changing the HDMI input on my monitor.  Would be nice to see both at same time.  What do you think about a 2015 or so macbook with bookcamp for windows?   I don't know which cheap PC notebook to buy.. I haven't followed PC's in a while.   Would be nice to get a decent one for say $150.  Lenovo Thinkpad?

EDIT:  e.g. Just found this i5 Lenovo Thinkpad, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd for $79:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284843129039
EDIT #2: seems like a really good deal, Went ahead and bought it, altogether with tax and shipping it was around $100.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:10:56 am by JenniferG »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 05:33:47 am »
I haven't followed PC's in a while.   Would be nice to get a decent one for say $150.  Lenovo Thinkpad?

I don't know the market either, although the one you found looks pretty good.  The problem I have is a lot of people beat up their laptops pretty badly while I keep and prefer mine in nice unbroken condition.  So my used laptops are all ones that I bought new years and years ago.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 05:42:53 am »
I haven't followed PC's in a while.   Would be nice to get a decent one for say $150.  Lenovo Thinkpad?

I don't know the market either, although the one you found looks pretty good.  The problem I have is a lot of people beat up their laptops pretty badly while I keep and prefer mine in nice unbroken condition.  So my used laptops are all ones that I bought new years and years ago.

This was a business laptop so hopefully it's not beat up too much; if it does have problems I'll return it.  I do notice the keyes are a little glossy here and there but that's expected due to the ABS material used on keyboard.

EDIT: oh sweet, if I want to replace the glossy keyed keyboard, it's only $23 for a new for this model :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303128388447
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:46:35 am by JenniferG »

Offline Perkele

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 07:35:30 pm »

Interesting. It should support ARM64.
Does it work with Rosetta, or whatever Apple's x86 emulator is called these days?

Offline ci11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 03:48:30 am »
Here is a picture of TS DMM Viewer running on a Win 11 Thinkpad logging my Tek DMM4050 aka Fluke 8846A. Software supports many DMMs and runs beautifully. Both the analog meter (upper left) or graph can be toggled to full screen, and fonts can be selected.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 03:50:54 am by ci11 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 11:05:53 am »
Here is a picture of TS DMM Viewer running on a Win 11 Thinkpad logging my Tek DMM4050 aka Fluke 8846A. Software supports many DMMs and runs beautifully. Both the analog meter (upper left) or graph can be toggled to full screen, and fonts can be selected.

That's sweet!  Can't wait for my Thinkpad.  It's only TFT not IPS display but for the price it should be good enough.  I didn't know the T450 Thinkpads came with IPS option when i bought this TFT one yesterday.  What model is your Thinkpad?  Ya know I didn't know how popular thinkpads were when I bought it. I just thought it looked nice and looked like it was probably well built.  Then I found out how popular they are after I bought it.. right up there with the macbook I guess.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:09:21 am by JenniferG »

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 12:33:49 pm »

Are you sure? Maybe they don't provide binaries, but surely building from source should work? You can probably also install it through Homebrew.

Offline ci11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 12:56:20 pm »

That's sweet!  Can't wait for my Thinkpad.  It's only TFT not IPS display but for the price it should be good enough.  I didn't know the T450 Thinkpads came with IPS option when i bought this TFT one yesterday.  What model is your Thinkpad?  Ya know I didn't know how popular thinkpads were when I bought it. I just thought it looked nice and looked like it was probably well built.  Then I found out how popular they are after I bought it.. right up there with the macbook I guess.

If the seller hasn't shipped your Thinkpad, you can always request a cancellation and look for another one with an IPS screen.

Thinkpads have always been built to exceedingly high engineering and ergonomic standards, including passing MIL-spec endurance tests and complying with worldwide ergonomic standards/best practices. In addition, nearly every replaceable part on every Thinkpad ever made can be found on the used market and IBM / Lenovo publishes service manuals for most of them so they can be repaired step-by-step in the field - something IBM started doing in the early 80's. I am a little biased as I worked at IBM for nearly 19 years and even did a tour in the PC division development labs. if you tinker, the Thinkpad / Windows ecosystem is much less frustrating and cost effective.

The Thinkpad in the picture is a X61 Tablet circa 2007 which I owned since new. Still working well despite its 1.7GHz processor and SATA I interface.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 07:46:44 am »
Just out of curiosity. If I use this GDM-8251A say once per day or every other day, does it make sense to just leave it on 24/7 and just press the  ON/OFF momentary button to turn only the display off?  Or is it better to power it up and have it boot each time?  Just wondering which would be less wear and tear on it.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 03:11:42 pm »
Just out of curiosity. If I use this GDM-8251A say once per day or every other day, does it make sense to just leave it on 24/7 and just press the  ON/OFF momentary button to turn only the display off?  Or is it better to power it up and have it boot each time?  Just wondering which would be less wear and tear on it.

I'm pretty sure there is no real long-term advantage to leaving it on all the time, even in standby.  One thing I worry about with meters that turn the display 'off' is whether or not they are maintaining power to the VFD filament.  If so, then there is continuing wear if it is on.  If not, then the VFD would take some time to come on.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 04:10:16 am »

Got my thinkpad a couple days ago.  To my surprise the keyboard is in very nice condition, not glossy.. sort of new looking.  Case in great shape as well.  Screen isn't that great but it works and the entire thing plus win 10 pro license cost me only $100 including tax and shipping.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf