Author Topic: Integrated uCurrent in new Rigol DP2031 lab power supply?!  (Read 5227 times)

Offline hansTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Integrated uCurrent in new Rigol DP2031 lab power supply?!
« on: September 12, 2022, 09:33:29 am »
Just saw this pop up today: https://www.rigol.eu/products/dc-power/dp2000.html

Rigol has added a low-range current readback mode where the resolution is improved by factor 100x. Programming is still in mA level.

The programming and readback accuracies are slightly improved compared to the DP800 series. Readback is 0.15%+5mA (was 0.2%+5mA) and now also has a low-current range (up to 10mA) with 0.25%+28uA spec. The EEVblog's uCurrent does +/-0.1%+50uA in 1mV/mA range or +/-0.05%+50nA in 1mV/uA range, with a max +/-2.25A or +/-2.25mA measurement range, respectively..

I suppose it's not a bad addition, but it doesn't look like it's going to beat the uCurrent in pure accuracy.  28uA offset is still quite high if you're targeting <100uA applications. It could be OK if the offset remains reasonably consistent across output voltage changes (high CMRR), and/or it's possible to zero the instrument's offset as you may typically do before starting a low current measurement..

Other improvements are a (much) shorter processing time and dwell time.

There are also seems to be a new DP900 series, but that doesn't come with an uA current range and output/sense terminals on the back.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Integrated uCurrent in new Rigol DP2031 lab power supply?!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 10:17:05 am »
Looks like they copied this feature from the Keysight E36xxx series. Burden voltage, the distinguishing feature of the uCurrent, is not an issue for current sensing inside a power supply, because the sense lines will have been connected past the current shunt.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 10:46:10 am »
Auto-ranging low-current readout is a feaure I find really useful on my Keithley 2280S.
On a bench supply doing development it's a really useful feature - it doesn't really need to be that accurate most of the time, as long as offset isn't too bad.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 02:59:07 pm »
I wonder if they actually have the bandwidth to back up the 7.5ks/s sampling. It doesn't look like they have decreased the output capacitance (programming speed similar to DP832). If I remember correctly the fast-sampling Agilent PSUs used to have a separate high-frequency measurement path (current transformer?) to get around that.

If they are actually serious about it, the analysis functions may need some work as well. It looks like there is no way to trigger measurements (just real-time/trend display) and statistics are very limited. But maybe they will improve on that with future firmware updates.

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 07:41:46 pm »
It is really unfortunate that they kept the same crappy user interface, with the circular numbers and everything... just give me a normal keypad already

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 08:10:10 pm »
Yeah... When I saw the photo, I thought "well, it's a pity they didn't re-design the terrible front panel but I guess they wanted to save money". Then I realized that they did. And not only did they keep the weird "keypad", they actually made it even worse by adding funky, slanted buttons around it. I mean, why?

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 10:29:44 pm »
Yeah... When I saw the photo, I thought "well, it's a pity they didn't re-design the terrible front panel but I guess they wanted to save money". Then I realized that they did. And not only did they keep the weird "keypad", they actually made it even worse by adding funky, slanted buttons around it. I mean, why?

Have you actually used one?
Its not perfect no, but, I prefer it slightly over the RD6006 with a standard numpad, and way better than anything without a numerical keypad at all. Its not like I am using it for 8hrs of data entry.

On the Rigol I can hit: 1, 0, mA to set 10mA. On the RD6006 for example, you hit ISET, ., 0, 1. Still good, but, can be less intuitive sometimes.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Xoff

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 10:42:59 pm »
Fully isolated channels, faster processor.
Touch screen.. never thought of wanting that in a PSU?

There is also the DP900. Seems like a good price for $379.
https://www.rigol.eu/products/dc-power/dp900.html

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 10:40:23 am »
Looks like the DP932U version has hidden banana plugs :(

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 02:33:25 pm »
Its not perfect no, but, I prefer it slightly over the RD6006 with a standard numpad, and way better than anything without a numerical keypad at all. Its not like I am using it for 8hrs of data entry.

Yes, it works ok and there are worse. But it is just such an unforced error. It is like they went out of their way to come up with something funky that is objectively worse than it could be. Same with the weird buttons on the new one. They had perfectly fine buttons and then someone went "wait, lets rotate the labels at different angles, nobody else does that".

Well, it says +-240V to ground, if they take that seriously then they have to. They seem to be targeting the education market. Safety is kind of a big concern there.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 10:08:37 pm »

[]https://www.rigol.eu/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/images/20220819/20220819175544_62ff5e2006b15.png[]

The normal banana plug one is limited to 30V and is more expensive. New regulations?

Yes, it works ok and there are worse. But it is just such an unforced error. It is like they went out of their way to come up with something funky that is objectively worse than it could be. Same with the weird buttons on the new one. They had perfectly fine buttons and then someone went "wait, lets rotate the labels at different angles, nobody else does that".

Everyone who comes up with a new UI idea thinks its good/futuristic/whatever. No one is going to purposefully design something bad.
But yeah didn't realize they played with the angles of the existing buttons. The only one that might make sense is they indented "Preset" perhaps someone complained it was too easy to press..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:10:42 pm by thm_w »

Offline Remek

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 12:10:07 am »
Do you know if It is possible to hack lower models to DP2031? I am expecting my new DP932E to arrive tomorrow and wondering if it would be possible to “upgrade” it. Having integrated uCurrent sounds useful

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 07:24:30 am »
Do you know if It is possible to hack lower models to DP2031? I am expecting my new DP932E to arrive tomorrow and wondering if it would be possible to “upgrade” it. Having integrated uCurrent sounds useful

Can you share your first impression about the DP932e? I’m really interested, but the lack of the timer (arbitrary generator) (exclusive for the A and U version) holds me back.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 09:16:37 pm »
I can soon give impressions of DP2031, as I'm hoping to pick one up tomorrow (Monday)

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 07:05:01 pm »
Grrr... same silly circular numeric keypad.

Imma nope out of this one too.

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 08:22:42 pm »
Hi, some news for the DP932E? I'd like photos, expecially from the back of the power supply. Thanks :)

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 09:43:22 pm »
Any updates on these new DP900 and DP2000 models? Im interested in the HW differences and if they can be "upgraded"  :-+

I was all set to pick up a DP832 and perform the DP832A upgrade, but the DP932E offers some nice features that are easily worth the extra $50 (if it can be upgraded).

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 10:26:15 pm »
I can post some pictures when mine arrives, causes it's sealed and delayed and delayed. But ETA is Monday.

The following users thanked this post: radensb

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 02:19:47 am »

How are you liking the DP932E? Would you be able to share front and back pics?

I am also curious about the upgradability. Have you tried the procedure to update the DP832 to the DP832A??
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-help-hacking-dp832-for-multicolour-option/msg4028779/#msg4028779

It would be great to know if any (or all) of the exiting procedure works!

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 06:35:32 pm »

I am also curious about the upgradability. Have you tried the procedure to update the DP832 to the DP832A??
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-help-hacking-dp832-for-multicolour-option/msg4028779/#msg4028779

I think that asking for trying the dp832 hack has no sense for the newer model. Maybe I'm wrong?

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 06:36:57 pm »
I can post some pictures when mine arrives, causes it's sealed and delayed and delayed. But ETA is Monday.

:-/O

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 07:47:32 pm »

That is coming. Just received it today.

The following users thanked this post: radensb

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 07:53:08 pm »

I think that asking for trying the dp832 hack has no sense for the newer model. Maybe I'm wrong?

I dont see how it could hurt. My assumption is that to make these things a cheap as possible, they reuse as much as possible and perhaps the same exploits remain? It may very well be the same core OS and configuration as the Dp800 series.

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 07:54:29 pm »

That is coming. Just received it today.

Sexy.  :-+

Stress test time?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: giubin

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:53 pm »

Sexy.  :-+

Stress test time?  ;D
Really sexy... btw i'm waiting some news about the dp932e  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf