Author Topic: Is it possible to generate waveforms with an "upgraded" Rigol DS1054Z?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline typoknigTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm getting ready to upgrade from a Bitscope BS10U to my first "real" dedicated scope. I've watched all of Dave's videos on the DS1054Z and with it's feature set, popularity, and "upgradeability" it seem like my best choice. One feature that a non-upgraded DS1054Z for sure doesn't have is waveform generation. The DS1074Z does have waveform generation and seems to share the exact same hardware as the DS1054Z, but it is unclear to me if there is an upgrade path that would enable waveform generation on the DS1054Z.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
No, only the models with -S (DS1074Z-S) have the components populated for the waveform generator.

• Regular Contributor
Ok, I see now reading the Q/A on Amazon for the DS1074Z that commenters have said the same thing. The "S" models must have different hardware. You say that the components are not populated, does that mean the PCB between the "S" and non "S" models are the same and possibly just missing a few key parts? I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to add signal generation to a DS1054Z or a DS1074Z via a hardware mod.

• Regular Contributor
Thanks, that answers all of my questions!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf