Products > Test Equipment

Is Rigol DS1054Z still a good entry level DSO to have in 2022? Need advice...

(1/4) > >>

GeorgeLouis:
Planning to buy an entry level DSO and viewed videos of Rigol DS1054Z in EEVBlog youtube channel. Currently in a cross road where I cannot decide to go in the path of Rigol DS1054Z 4CH DSO or Rigol DS1202Z-E 2CH DSO. Unfortunately Siglent SDS1104X-E seems to be bit expensive for me (in India). Below are reasons for buying DSO and need an advice to go with 4CH 50 MHz (Rigol DS1054Z) or 200 MHz 2 CH (Rigol DS1202Z-E)

1. My plan is to relearn the  Analog Electronic circuits with  the help DSO.
       a. Basic to Advanced  Oscillator & Amplifier circuit design (VCO, Collipit Oscillator etc, tinkering with OP-AMP's configurations etc)
       b. Basic power supply design (Linear LM317, LM337 Based as well as SMPS's, buck boost converters Viper22a etc)
       c. AM & FM circuits basics (If possible other digital communications like PCM, PSK etc)
       d. Thyristor based circuits (AC light bulb dimmer circuit etc), Motor controller design ESC(a bit of digital electronics too), H-Bridge etc.
       e. Some high voltage stuff like Tesla coil design.
2. For digital signal part I have a Chinese cheap logic analyzer which serves me till now. So NOT planning to go with a DSO which have Logic Analyzer in it.
       a. Occasionally program Microcontroller but never used DSO to analyze any part of it.
       b. So not sure how DSO become handy in the case of Digital Electronics, please point any use of DSO below for Digital electronics part.
3. Also planning to get deep in to the design of SMPS later. (One book suggested you need at least 100MHz DSO, but number of channels are not specified)

Above mentioned are purposes for which the DSO which I plan to buy will be utilized. Need help and advice with below confusions

1. Do I need a DSO with higher bandwidth for learning  analog electronic stuff mentioned above.
2. Is having a 4CH DSO is better for my learning plan. Do I get more clarity in the learning by using 4CH DSO to measure multiple point in the circuit than going with a 2CH DSO ?
3. Rigol only provide 4CH 50 MHz and 200MHz 2CH DSO in my 'Budget Range' and cannot go with Siglent as it is bit expensive for my buget.
4. From EEVBlog youtube channel came to know about Rigol DS1054Z hack to 100MHz So can I forget about Rigol DS1202Z-E 200MHz 2CH DSO option by rigol.
5. More over for Rigol DS1054Z the current seller I am planning to contact is providing all paid options FREE for limited time( memory depth options, serial bus decode etc...). This optional offer is not given for the Rigol DS1202Z-E.

Good suggestions and advice are needed. I am confused by watching too much DSO review videos, reading PDF on how to choose a good DSO, but still cannot settle on one DSO for my learning plan and requirement.  My budget range is is b/w $500 - $600 ( Maximum Budget: Rs45,000 in Indian Rupee).
Hope my above requirement give you guys clear idea what I am up to so that you people could point me in the right directions.

Fungus:
What is the difference in price between them in India?

I'd get 4 channels and unlock it to 100MHz.

nctnico:
Try to get the GW Instek GDS-1054B. It has a faster platform compared to the DS1054Z and can be hacked to 100MHz as well. Price depends on region though.

T_guttata:
On the rigol you can save a print screen with one press. What I'm missing though is the same possibility to save the raw data (CSV). Don't know if the GW Instek is better in this regard?

Otherwise I'm ok with the Rigol DS1054Z. I unlocked it to 100 Mhz and have used it for display of transients in the range of microseconds.

tautech:

--- Quote from: GeorgeLouis on January 24, 2022, 09:14:45 am ---Planning to buy an entry level DSO and viewed videos of Rigol DS1054Z in EEVBlog youtube channel. Currently in a cross road where I cannot decide to go in the path of Rigol DS1054Z 4CH DSO or Rigol DS1202Z-E 2CH DSO. Unfortunately Siglent SDS1104X-E seems to be bit expensive for me (in India). Below are reasons for buying DSO and need an advice to go with 4CH 50 MHz (Rigol DS1054Z) or 200 MHz 2 CH (Rigol DS1202Z-E)

--- End quote ---
Welcome to the forum.

Is SDS1104X-U available to you in India ?
They do have lesser specs than 1104X-E however measure up pretty well against the other DSO's you're looking at.
Comparison chart attached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version