Author Topic: Is the SDS2000X HD worth the upgrade from the SDS2000X Plus or Rigol DHO1000?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline antianTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi, I'm looking to get a new upgraded scope for my work that only works with analog signals and ideally I need a minimum of 200 MHz BW with 500MS/s on all 4 channels. I have a budget of ~$2000 USD but if I wait a bit I can probably go up to ~3000 in a month or two or I can ask for more funding from another source. I've traditionally used Siglent or Tektronix scopes and used the high-definition acquisition modes for effective 12-bit but now a hardware 12-bit sounds very attractive and the price of the Rigol DH1000 hacked at $599 (currently on sale) sounds almost too good to not try. The SDS2104X Plus based for $1399 can be hacked it seems to the 350 MHz and that can operate at 10 bits, although the BW drops too 100 MHz which isn't ideal but I might be okay with 350 MHz with traditional high resolution mode. Does anyone have any recommendations on if the upgrade to the SDS2000X HD would be worth it from either scopes? And if between the two, is the SDS2000X plus worth basically two Rigol DHC1000? I am a little hesitant on the Rigol scopes because I have seen some people reporting more issues and more noise.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Welcome to the forum.

FYI
SDS2000X Plus and SDS2000X HD are both 500 MHz designs and each run two 2 GSa/s ADC's allowing for 350 MHz operation on all 4 channels while retaining 1 GSa/s sampling on each channel.
However to operate with all 4 channels active BW is auto-reduced to 350 MHz to meet Nyquist whereas when only 2 channels are used/active and one assigned to each 2 GSa/s ADC, their full 500 MHz BW is maintained.

The HD model is a professional product with very low fan noise for this class of instrument.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: antian

• Contributor
Hi thank you, is the fan that big of an issue? I'm guessing that it could be swapped out for something if alot of people complain about that. I think I'm wondering if the 12 bit will be worth the cost upgrade since I believe if you use the SDS2000X plus in the 10 bit mode it reduces the BW to ~ 100MHz according to the data sheet so the SDS2000 plus even if it could be hacked will not be able to operate at 200 MHz with the 10 bits, unless I am mistaken. It seems the SDS2000X HD is the lowest entry from siglent for 12bit with at least 200 MHz BW, until the SDS1000X HD is released.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Hi thank you, is the fan that big of an issue? I'm guessing that it could be swapped out for something if alot of people complain about that.
The 2kX HD has a properly controlled fan whereas 2kX Plus does not.
They both use 80mm fans.

I think I'm wondering if the 12 bit will be worth the cost upgrade since I believe if you use the SDS2000X plus in the 10 bit mode it reduces the BW to ~ 100MHz according to the data sheet so the SDS2000 plus even if it could be hacked will not be able to operate at 200 MHz with the 10 bits, unless I am mistaken.

Quite correct, all SDS2000X Plus models are 100 MHz BW limited when 10 bit mode is engaged.

It seems the SDS2000X HD is the lowest entry from siglent for 12bit with at least 200 MHz BW, until the SDS1000X HD is released.
At this time, correct.
SDS1000X HD has a single 12 bit 2 GSa/s ADC, shared by all channels as is the sample memory whereas units that run dual ADC's also have dual memory packages so memory is just halved and not quartered like scopes with a single ADC/ASIC.
My 200 MHz prerelease unit limits BW to 100 MHz with all channels active.

SDS2000X HD models have recently dropped in price and are currently offered with a promotional options bundle for a nice additional saving.
If you can stretch to the 2kX HD and add the option bundle I'm quite sure you wouldn't regret it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
They both use 80mm fans.

No, 92mm...Both.  ;)
And yes, the HD is quiet, nearly dead. :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
They both use 80mm fans.

No, 92mm...Both.  ;)
And yes, the HD is quiet, nearly dead. :D

It is specified for environmental temperature range 0 - 50 °C
Put it to 50 °C room...or a test cabinet modeling environmental substances...    is it still silent. ;)
But yes, on my table, normal around 22°C room temp... barely audible when you listen really closely and when other devices are turned off. Does not include the start-up phase when the fan runs at high power.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:11:27 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
I don't think you can buy the upgrades to the SDS2000X HD with 100% discount. Something to keep in mind.

• Contributor
right I looked and it seems like there isn't any hack for the SDS2000X HD currently, is that correct?

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
I don't think you can buy the upgrades to the SDS2000X HD with 100% discount. Something to keep in mind.

;D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
right I looked and it seems like there isn't any public hack for the SDS2000X HD currently, is that correct?
FTFY  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
:o I'll keep that in mind. Do you think the SDS2000X is worth the upgrade from the Rigol DHO1000 that can be hacked to the DHO1204? It seems some people have some issues with it but its at a lower price point

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
:o I'll keep that in mind. Do you think the SDS2000X is worth the upgrade from the Rigol DHO1000 that can be hacked to the DHO1204? It seems some people have some issues with it but its at a lower price point
Of course it's cheaper, the rigol is not a 500 MHz design !
Time you spent some study on datasheets.

Don't forget some study of the acquisition systems mentioned in replies 1 and 3.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
Sorry I meant to clarify that the comparison would be at the same BW of 200 MHz so SDS2204X HD vs DHO1204. For my work I work in only analog resolving random voltage peaks that can be sensitive to noise so I'd typically use at least 200+ MHz but I have a tektronix for the higher BW. The SDS2204X HD at $3200 is assuming it is not hacked and the DHO1204 is $1099 at current sale price or DHO1074 hacked at only $599. The DHO1204 can do the 200 BW at 500 MS/s on 4 channels and the SDS2204X HD can do 1GS/s.  The 500 MS/s is probably sufficient for the 2x the BW requirement. It's basically a $2k difference between the DHO1204 and SDS2204X HD.

The following users thanked this post: Ogim

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
It's basically a $2k difference between the DHO1204 and SDS2204X HD.

Those 2 scopes are in different worlds. Yes, the SDS2204X HD is absolutely a better scope. Do you benefit from that or not? You have to study the datasheets and see what features you might actually need. The DHO is an entry level scope, and the SDS is a pro level scope. Both cars have 4 tires, which one is right for you is the question.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
The SDS2204X HD at $3200 is assuming it is not hacked and the DHO1204 is $1099 at current sale price or DHO1074 hacked at only $599.

And "scopes" from Fnirsi are even much cheaper than the both mentioned, everything is relative. ;)
I switched from an SDS2000Xplus to a 2000X HD last year.
I was a little disillusioned at first, as the advantages were not immediately apparent to me.
That has now changed dramatically. ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Sorry I meant to clarify that the comparison would be at the same BW of 200 MHz so SDS2204X HD vs DHO1204. For my work I work in only analog resolving random voltage peaks that can be sensitive to noise so I'd typically use at least 200+ MHz but I have a tektronix for the higher BW. The SDS2204X HD at $3200 is assuming it is not hacked and the DHO1204 is $1099 at current sale price or DHO1074 hacked at only $599. The DHO1204 can do the 200 BW at 500 MS/s on 4 channels and the SDS2204X HD can do 1GS/s.  The 500 MS/s is probably sufficient for the 2x the BW requirement. It's basically a $2k difference between the DHO1204 and SDS2204X HD.

As others have said, the higher price buys you a much better scope. But given the requirements you have described, and the massive price difference, I would tend to say: If all you need is 200 MHz bandwidth, no logic analyser, no Bode plots -- get the DHO1074, hack it to 200 MHz and try it out.

If it turns out to meet your needs, you have saved yourself $2600. If it does not, replace it with an SDS2204X HD, and either sell the DHO or keep it as a third scope -- its price is almost insignificant in comparison. ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
If it turns out to meet your needs, you have saved yourself $2600. If it does not, replace it with an SDS2204X HD, and either sell the DHO or keep it as a third scope -- its price is almost insignificant in comparison. ;)

I would agree for hobby on a budget get the DHO, but this is a work purchase, OP saves no money either way. Use the max budget for work.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor

Depends on where you buy the upgrades from  ;D

I have an SDS2000X HD on a VESA PC monitor arm at my desk, and It's hands down the best scope I've used. I've had an R&S RTB2004 at my desk for the last four years, and the plan for the SDS2000X HD was to use it as a second scope at the lab, while still using the RTB2004 as my everyday scope. But after getting familiar with the SDS2000X HD, I had to admit that I liked this one even better. And that says a lot because the RTB2004 is a very refined instrument; much better than any Rigol I've used.

The fan is very silent, and the scope can be remotely controlled using SCPI commands, the self-hosted web interface, or using VNC. Very convenient if you quickly want to grab a screenshot. The only complaint I have compared to the RTB2004 is the boot time. The Siglent uses about a minute to boot, while the RTB2004 uses about 15 seconds. Not a big deal since you can leave the scope powered on due to the fan noise being barely noticeable.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:08:23 am by hansibull »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline fhw72

Depends on where you buy the upgrades from  ;D

;D X-Mas time: I'm contemplating to upgrade to HD (I already have a SDS2000X+ - which has the 100% discounted upgrades).

Maybe you can give a hint?  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 06:43:55 pm by fhw72 »

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests New
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36 »

36 pages!  How many bugs and missing features have been addressed in the HD model?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
36 pages!

This means what ? Every post a bug ?  ;)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
36 pages!

Every complaint post triggering four further posts from the Siglent crew which explain why it has to be that way? ;)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
36 pages!

Of course! We always stay on topic and keep opinions and rivalry out of every thread. 🤣🤣🤣
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
So I can assume none/nothing have/has been addressed?

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
So I can assume none/nothing have/has been addressed?

You can assume whatever makes you happy. Or read some of the threads if you want. Or look at revision histories of the firmware that mention a lot (but not all) of the improvements. The world is your oyster!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf