Author Topic: Is there any good reason to get the DP832A?  (Read 28132 times)

Offline SteveRosenlundTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is there any good reason to get the DP832A?
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:41 am »
Like the title says, is there any good reason to buy the Rigol DP832A over the DP832 for an additional $350?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Is there any good reason to get the DP832A?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:29 pm »
Moar digits and moar colors. Look, it has even a funky looking display to match the funky looking controls. You remember when this was a success?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:11 pm »

Moar digits and moar colors. Look, it has even a funky looking display to match the funky looking controls. You remember when this was a success?

Lol so no real benefit.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
I dont want to partypoop, but I am very happy with my HP 6624A. Four channels, Kelvin capable, loud and cheap to buy. Plus, no Rigol/Siglent whatever...trusted experienced PSU design company.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:54:16 pm »
I also have 2 HP/Agilent supplies and would never trade them for Rigol. Bargains on eBay and they will easily outlive me.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 06:02:56 pm »
Get the DP832, then apply the Riglol codes to unlock the extra digits and features for free  ;)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »
Get the DP832, then apply the Riglol codes to unlock the extra digits and features for free  ;)

This.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:02 pm »
Thank you all for your comments. I have the DP832 in my cart at TEquipment. I spent some time looking at the HP6624a and thank you for that recommendation. For now though I'm going with the DP832.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:54:35 am »
Thank you all for your comments. I have the DP832 in my cart at TEquipment. I spent some time looking at the HP6624a and thank you for that recommendation. For now though I'm going with the DP832.

You'll be very happy with it and won't regret the funky color scheme of the A.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 05:46:17 am »
Of course then this shows up:

and you're totally having second thoughts about the whole DP832 thing, right?  >:D >:D >:D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:38 pm »
How very timely. Weird. Cool video though.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 12:17:56 pm »
Look at the TO220 at 12:16. WTF is up with that? The tab is so thin it looks like it's made out of foil. Did Rigol use "Chinese special" components?

Also, a TO220 output transistor for a 100W power supply? That's gotta be a joke.

Might as well go for the Korad KA3305 and have the same crappy design and components for half the price, minus the flashy front panel. Wait, let me correct that, the KA3305 has much beefier TO-3P pass transistors:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/inside-the-new-korad-ka3305p-linear-psu/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:28:41 pm by mos6502 »
for(;;);

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »
This is why my supplies are HP/Agilent from eBay. I can count on them to deliver even if I do stupid things. One less distraction, one less worry. On top of that, I have spent much less than DP832 in the process.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 08:06:36 pm »
This is why my supplies are HP/Agilent from eBay. I can count on them to deliver even if I do stupid things. One less distraction, one less worry. On top of that, I have spent much less than DP832 in the process.

Me too, though I wonder whether the problem is a budget-priced mosfet or the circuit design allowing excessive Vgs to occur when the output is abused sufficiently.  But, then again, the fact that some mosfets are specifically sold for extended SOA in the linear region makes me wonder if that wasn't sufficiently considered in the design.

This makes me think that before my next power supply project, I want to build a "power supply abuser" test rig.  This could be a really fun project. :)

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
Stop complaining!

Dave is fixing a board revision that is no longer been manufactured since 5 Nov 2013. Revision 02.20 of the TopBoard uses a IRFP260N in TO247.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
I am not complaining - just pointing out why I avoid Rigol. They are 'cheap chasers' that will do anything to keep the price low. I choose not to deal with the outcome of being cheap.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:41 pm »
What with his new BK Precision blowing a fuse in short order for no good reason too, I wonder if his office complex is experiencing unusual power surges from the local utility transformer or something?

I whacked my DP832 up to 3.2A and repeatedly shorted and unshorted all the outputs and never had a problem (other than the usual croc clips trying to weld themselves to each other  :-DD ). Indeed Daves is the only DP832 I have heard of this problem with.

That's not to say I don't appreciate my old HP 6632B mind.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:54:14 pm by Macbeth »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:32 pm »
Regrettably I had an identical fault with my DP832. Until now I just thought I was unlucky.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dp832-smoked-channel-1/msg619848/#msg619848

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 11:10:54 pm »
Stop complaining!
Dave is fixing a board revision that is no longer been manufactured since 5 Nov 2013. Revision 02.20 of the TopBoard uses a IRFP260N in TO247.

Ah, didn't know that, thanks.

Offline haveissues

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 01:25:30 am »
Stop complaining!

Great if you happen to have a newer version of this power supply.  Not so great for those that have older ones. 

Offline haveissues

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 01:36:07 am »
Does anyone know if they fixed the power on spike on newer revisions?  Mine has a big enough spike to turn on the backlight on an LCD in my circuit for a split second when turning on the mains power for the supply.  I now know to unplug the outputs when turning the supply on but it's kinda annoying and I'm sure it is just a matter of time before I forget and fry something more sensitive.  I tried contacting Rigol since it is still under warranty but they basically said tough shit.

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 02:33:24 am »
Rigol power supplies are junk. Cheap, yes. The early designs were done by neophyte engineers and Dave's teardowns and repairs prove that. Perhaps they are better today, but when they were fist released I got a loner and was not impressed. I swear by Agilent and Rhode and Schwartz lab supplies and have used them for over 40 years. If you can afford something better, then do so, otherwise you will find yourself repairing it when you have other stuff you would rather be doing. Do you like to drive your car or spend time fixing it?
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Remember Dave gets this stuff for free so companies like Rigol get free exposure. Dave does not have to play favorites here and so you get the real picture from his reviews and teardowns. So far, Dave has validated my initial opinion of this PSU. I have some Rigol gear and am quite pleased with the performance and price point. Big negative for Rigol is their software is pathetic.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 02:46:38 am »
Do you like to drive your car or spend time fixing it?

I want my bench supplies to be nearly invisible to my design, validation, test, and assembly processes. I don't want to guess or worry about what it is doing. I want it to just work so that I can concentrate 100% of my available brain power on the design task. When I was younger and had less money, I still chose to buy the better tools and choose projects that were suitable to my smaller, but high quality tools.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 03:03:58 am »
Look at the TO220 at 12:16. WTF is up with that? The tab is so thin it looks like it's made out of foil. Did Rigol use "Chinese special" components?

No, just an ordinary ST package.

Offline theirishscion

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:04 am »
How very timely. Weird. Cool video though.
Oddly timely for me as well, I was planning on pulling the trigger on a DS1054Z and a DP832 this morning when I saw today's EEVBlog. I'm relieved to hear the board has been revised since Dave's version, I haven't seen another DC lab PSU on the market with anything like the same (hacked) feature set for the bucks. They don't seem to have a bad reputation otherwise, based on the bit of research I've done. I'm a hobbyist now, I haven't pushed electrons around with commercial intent in a decade and a half so I don't need something professional, but something with a professional feature set and a toy price would be just lovely, thank you very much. We're living in the golden age of test equipment; the last RS232-decoding capable DSO I used (a very nice HP of some flavor) cost ~18,000 pounds when it was new.

On the plus side, the extra time spent reading up on all this clued me in to the Tequipment/EEVblog discount code. Now I just have to persuade someone to PM it to me :-)

Anyway, best of luck with yours

///d

Offline Meth

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:17 am »
Hi,
I'm currently in the market for a bench power supply for home use and like most people want a bargain in the process - more features than I know what to do with, at price that's too good to be true.
But above all else it must be reliable.

I've been drawn to the Rigol DP832 lately and although there's plenty of posts about problems, these by and large seem to be resolved in the latest hardware (I'd most likely be buying new if I get the discount code :) ).
For the OP, from what I've read the `A` model isn't worth the extra cost for a home user, what with all the solutions that can be achieved from searching the forums so I'm looking at the non-A model.

From my point of view - what are the main alternatives to the DP83x units in terms of features/price range before I commit to going this route?
In terms of "toy" features for a home user, I really like the LXi idea having previous experience in designing software to control ATEs.
I've looked at the siglent units that I can get cheaper but I'm not convinced.

I'm mostly looking at something for small digital circuits but I do have a large collection of vintage (germanium) audio amplifiers I need to get around to fixing.
There's plenty of (i'll call them clones of someone's design) units on auction sites that are cheap, but I worry they won't be reliable/clean outputs.
I would probably prefer a TTi/Agilent Unfortunately the availability of Agilent/keysight PSUs in this price range (even 2nd hand) doesn't appear to come up in the UK as much as the US.

Thanks!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 02:45:36 am »
Well I've got my DP832 from TEquipment and it's working very well. Couldn't be happier. The ovp and ocp work very well. The outputs are very accurate according to my fluke 289 and fluke 87V.

Offline gvenn

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:03 pm »
Even though the topic is old (and there are others which are older), I thought I would paste in to help those trying to find the differences between the Rigol dp832 and dp832A.

According to: http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-063a/1/-/-/-/-/DP800%20Selection%20Guide.pdf

The following exists:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Select and order the options
DP832A/DP831A/DP821A/DP811A
For these models, the high-resolution setting, trigger, monitor, analyzer as well as the RS232 and LAN communication functions are all standard functions. You can select and order the following option according to your need.

DP832/DP831/DP821/DP811
For these models, the high-resolution setting, trigger, monitor, analyzer as well as the RS232 and LAN communication functions are all optional functions. You can select and order the following options according to your need.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:47 pm »
I've never had any trouble with my Rigol power supply. Apart from the annoying UI, it has served me very well indeed.
Of course I would rather have a Keysight et al, but for the same features, I'd be looking at at least 4x the price.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:23:32 pm »
Even though the topic is old (and there are others which are older), I thought I would paste in to help those trying to find the differences between the Rigol dp832 and dp832A.

According to: http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-063a/1/-/-/-/-/DP800%20Selection%20Guide.pdf

The following exists:

Select and order the options
DP832A/DP831A/DP821A/DP811A
For these models, the high-resolution setting, trigger, monitor, analyzer as well as the RS232 and LAN communication functions are all standard functions. You can select and order the following option according to your need.

DP832/DP831/DP821/DP811
For these models, the high-resolution setting, trigger, monitor, analyzer as well as the RS232 and LAN communication functions are all optional functions. You can select and order the following options according to your need.
Thanks for that! I totally Riglolled  :-DD I'll be here all week but don't try the veal, try Riglol 1.03d when you want to make options standards  ;)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 12:41:36 am »
Nothing against Rigol, they actually provide a lot of gear at decent prices and some of their stuff is pretty decent.

However I never considered their power supply. It is not exactly cheap and you can usually score great HP power supplies off ebay all the time, often for much less money too. I'd rather get a solid HP PSU and use that extra cash towards an instrument that's harder to get.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:23 am »
"It is not exactly cheap and you can usually score great HP power supplies off ebay all the time, often for much less money too."

This may be true in the US, but in other areas of the world, great ebay scores are far and few between.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:16 am »
"It is not exactly cheap and you can usually score great HP power supplies off ebay all the time, often for much less money too."

This may be true in the US, but in other areas of the world, great ebay scores are far and few between.

That's true, I would rather buy a new PSU with warranty.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 03:16:45 am »
that segmented pye display on the "A" variant is seriously f-ing ugly!
they should have just used the digital display of the lower model and made it multi-coloured.

is it actually a colour display, or a monochrome display with an RGB programable backlight?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 06:52:01 pm »
@stj,

They are both exactly the same power supply, only firmware is the difference.

Yes the (adjustable colour) monochrome display on the DP832 is actually a full colour display not a backlight. Just about everyone hates the DP832A bizarre triangular coloured pie arrangement. So much so that Rigol introduced the "classic" version of the 3 columns of the DP832, but colour coded them and used a normal font instead of a 7 segment font. They also dropped the greyed out 00.000's when the channel is switched off.

As far as UI goes I still think the more plain DP832 is better. I actually like the 7 segment effect as it's in keeping with all my other ancient gear  :-DD

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »
So, I went to eBay looking for the HP6642A and most seem to be priced around $250.  So, I need 3 of those boat anchors to make up for one Rigol DP832.  $750 vs $450 and a LOT more real estate on my pathetically undersized bench.  I'll pass...

There is infant mortality in every product.  Dave blew an output transistor/MOSFET - so what?  It happens!  In the case of his now obsolete board, it looks like there was a problem at manufacturing.  The board was reworked before he ever got it.  What's that about?  And there has been a design change (diodes).  Does this help protect the MOSFET?

Bottom line:  The PS you buy today is only marginally the same as the one in the video in the area of the pass transistor.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 09:05:17 pm »
So, I went to eBay looking for the HP6642A and most seem to be priced around $250.  So, I need 3 of those boat anchors to make up for one Rigol DP832.  $750 vs $450 and a LOT more real estate on my pathetically undersized bench.  I'll pass...

There is infant mortality in every product.  Dave blew an output transistor/MOSFET - so what?  It happens!  In the case of his now obsolete board, it looks like there was a problem at manufacturing.  The board was reworked before he ever got it.  What's that about?  And there has been a design change (diodes).  Does this help protect the MOSFET?

Bottom line:  The PS you buy today is only marginally the same as the one in the video in the area of the pass transistor.
I don't know if I like the HP6642A.. I don't like loud equipment if I can help it. I don't usually work on high powered circuits personally and I prefer linear power supplies, for their super clean power and silent operation. I own a few of E3611A and a E3620A. You can also score an E3631A used for less than the DP832. (as others have pointed out, in the US at least).

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 09:13:36 pm »
I have an HP 6624A 4 channel linear supply - one more than the Rigol. $75 on eBay. Bullet proof and reasonably clean. I also have some other Agilent supplies that are outside of the capability of any Rigol. All of them under $200. Total of 6 channels and 1500w for around $450. They would, however, collapse the legs of an Ikea workbench.  :popcorn:

Ugly as a cows ass and big though. I have learned how to control it with LabView which keeps me from dealing with the buttons on the box itself. I have not been happy with any Rigol product and in general prefer to go with old school on the power supplies. My primary considerations are performance and reliability, not size or weight. Some of the 'boat anchors' are very high performance if you can get over the 1985 look and the giant 60lb chassis.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 09:31:27 pm »
That 60lb (28kg) chassis makes you go  :wtf: :rant: indeed. Over the past few years I have acquired several HP/Agilent power supplies from different years but I did say goodbye to my HP6002A though.

Edit: I have converted all my HP PSUs with a temperature controlled fan unless it already had one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:44:10 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:51 pm »
I love my DP832, well worth it for me.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 09:57:25 pm »
@rx8pilot,

My HP 6632B is slimline, compact and bijou as boat anchors go. It actually serves a good purpose as a platform for my LCD monitor to stand on to raise to comfortable eye level and therefore doesn't take up any space at all. It is also my most often used supply vs. the Rigol DP832 sitting next to it.

Unfortunately those of us outside the USA don't get the good deals on this older kit, even if we win an ebay auction that allows a sale outside USA (because all the good cheap gear is ex military and comes with absurd international resale restrictions), the insane prices for international post from the USA totally ruin the deal. Why is it that a DHL or Fedex from Shenzhen or HK only cost say $50 while the same from the USA is $500? Is there some reason the USA does NOT want to export to the rest of the world? This is then magnified in the EU at least because the delivery charge is added to the cost of goods and then the 20% VAT is added, possibly duty too. So a $75 PSU becomes $690. Of course then the courier charges an extra fee on delivery of around $20 - $40 for their amazing ability to do the 20% sum, so call it $720 for an ancient obsolete scrap PSU, as excellent as it may be.

Yeah I am jealous of your easy pickings in the USA, you even get free water heater 'scopes too  :-DD.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »
Unfortunately those of us outside the USA don't get the good deals on this older kit, even if we win an ebay auction that allows a sale outside USA (because all the good cheap gear is ex military and comes with absurd international resale restrictions), the insane prices for international post from the USA totally ruin the deal. Why is it that a DHL or Fedex from Shenzhen or HK only cost say $50 while the same from the USA is $500? Is there some reason the USA does NOT want to export to the rest of the world?
I wondered about this too, can't remember where I read it, but Chinese government apparently subsidizes international shipping.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 10:10:29 pm »
That 60lb (28kg) chassis makes you go  :wtf: :rant: indeed. Over the past few years I have acquired several HP/Agilent power supplies from different years but I did say goodbye to my HP6002A though.

Edit: I have converted all my HP PSUs with a temperature controlled fan unless it already had one.

Mine doesn't often go to the high amps to require this intervention, but it is available if needed... Personally I prefer the screaming fan at 5 amps...

Quote from: HP 6632B, 33B, 34B Service Manual
Manual Fan Speed Control
Under some circumstances such as testing acoustical devices where the fan noise would interfere with the test, it
would be advantageous to reduce the fan speed. If the test requires a very light load, the ambient temperature is low
and the duration of the test is short, the fan speed may be temporarily reduced. The turn-on default is "Automatic" so
this procedure must be performed, as needed, every time the line voltage is turned on. To manually control the fan
speed:
a. Simultaneously depress the "0" and "9” keys. EEINIT <model> will be displayed.
b. Using the Up/Down annunciator keys select FAN:MODE<AUTO.>.
c. Using the Up/Down arrows select FAN:MODE <MAN>
d. Press "Enter"
e. Simultaneously depress the "0" and "9" keys. EEINIT <model> will be displayed.
f. Using the Up/Down annunciator keys select FAN:SPEED <data>
g. Press "Enter Number".
h. Enter the desired speed (numeric entry range is 0 to 100%)
i. Press "Enter"

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:01 pm »
I remember living in Singapore and buying underwater camera stuff from B&H Photo in New York City, shipped UPS.  The shipping cost seemed insignificant, the duties were non-existent and the delivery was sudden.  Certainly no worse than when I order from California.

I really think it is a trade situation between the US and the EU.  And it's kind of a one way deal because when I have ordered stuff from GB or Germany, no extra charges.  Shipping was minimal, no duties, no taxes, just an ordinary every day transaction.  Admittedly, the value isn't high (less than $200) but still, no extra cost for ordering international.  Same with Australia.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:44 pm »
Yeah I am jealous of your easy pickings in the USA, you even get free water heater 'scopes too  :-DD.

Those points are not lost on me - I am very grateful to have easy access to some of the older gear as well as new parts and services here in the USA. I also got lucky that the ridiculously heavy duty workbench I use was a dumpster dive acquisition and enabled me to use the old HP gear. My previous bench was a folding table that would have been instantly destroyed with all my old stuff.

....and of course the endless supply of hot water courtesy of Keysight!

That 60lb (28kg) chassis makes you go  :wtf: :rant:

Safe to say that I do not regularly re-arrange my bench. The weight is stunning. I may build a new technicians assembly and repair bench and the DP832 would be a good option since that bench would be much smaller - PSU, small scope, DMM. I doubt I would bother with the color screen, saving some money would be higher priority than color LCD for me. 

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 10:21:01 pm »
Unfortunately those of us outside the USA don't get the good deals on this older kit, even if we win an ebay auction that allows a sale outside USA (because all the good cheap gear is ex military and comes with absurd international resale restrictions), the insane prices for international post from the USA totally ruin the deal. Why is it that a DHL or Fedex from Shenzhen or HK only cost say $50 while the same from the USA is $500? Is there some reason the USA does NOT want to export to the rest of the world?
I wondered about this too, can't remember where I read it, but Chinese government apparently subsidizes international shipping.
I think that is with the China Post items not international couriers. The international postal union allows market distortions (because, hey, it's a fucking government union!) and so China can send an international mail package for 1 Yuan while the USA or UK will be charged $10 or £10 for the same item. I think the commercial courier situation in the USA is just idiotic price gouging by both the courier company and mostly the sellers who seem totally disinterested to the point of losing sales in this new global financial world we all live in!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 10:32:41 pm »
I remember living in Singapore and buying underwater camera stuff from B&H Photo in New York City, shipped UPS.  The shipping cost seemed insignificant, the duties were non-existent and the delivery was sudden.  Certainly no worse than when I order from California.

I really think it is a trade situation between the US and the EU.  And it's kind of a one way deal because when I have ordered stuff from GB or Germany, no extra charges.  Shipping was minimal, no duties, no taxes, just an ordinary every day transaction.  Admittedly, the value isn't high (less than $200) but still, no extra cost for ordering international.  Same with Australia.

It is an EU thing. Dave tells us of $1000 gear before the customs bother with it. The UK is bad enough because we have to put up with this nonsense, but actual real EU countries like Germany get it far worse. Dave will not deal with Germany because they are so fucking shit.

Hopefully with BREXIT we in the UK will no longer have to have such absurd customs import levels and join our commonwealth countries with more equitable policies. I'm not holding my breath now Sharia May and Sadiq Khan are running the country though...

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »

Safe to say that I do not regularly re-arrange my bench. The weight is stunning. I may build a new technicians assembly and repair bench and the DP832 would be a good option since that bench would be much smaller - PSU, small scope, DMM. I doubt I would bother with the color screen, saving some money would be higher priority than color LCD for me.

Could you expand on the 'color screen' comment?  I am considering the DP832 but I won't buy it if the only color display I get is red and in every advertisement I see, the screen is red.  Red simply isn't a good color for me.  I thought I had read that the display color could be chosen from a menu but manuals don't always get it straight.  I would be happy with yellow or light green.  Evan cyan would work but red is out of the question.

I doubt that I would want to pay hundreds more to get the 832A if that's what it took to get a different color.  I'd probably just buy another brand and skip Rigol for being not defective-color-vision friendly.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 12:07:07 am »
You can change it to green or cyan as well as red.

The following users thanked this post: rstofer

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 12:59:52 am »
There is also a white color for the screen. So 4 in total. Not terribly exciting, but if a red screen is the only thing preventing you from buying it, then you should be good.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:54 am »
There is also a white color for the screen. So 4 in total. Not terribly exciting, but if a red screen is the only thing preventing you from buying it, then you should be good.

It's the next thing up.

Offline BLF Lexel

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 11:35:27 pm »
I made a stupid mistake, I changed the color to green, when I got the DP811 it had yellow screen and i liked it
now there is no way to change it back to yellow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf