Author Topic: Issue with Siglent PP215 Passive Scope Probe  (Read 2037 times)

Offline mawyattTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Issue with Siglent PP215 Passive Scope Probe
« on: June 19, 2021, 07:38:19 pm »
I've become a fan of Siglent equipment, but not because of any bias or financial gain, but simply because the Siglent equipment performs (well almost) and is reasonable. I've been delighted with the 1st Siglent DSO and this set a baseline for expectations which generally have been met by other Siglent gear we've purchased, almost $6K to date and more expected soon.

However, I am not happy with the output jack spacing on the SDP3303X, nor the menu and touch screen on the SDG2042X, not what I have come to expect from Siglent. Recently we became involved with a difficult & complex design which hopefully will lead to a custom chip developed in the future. During some testing we were tracing a problem with the DSO, only to find after many hours of swearing and frustration it was the DAMN PP215 Scope Probe causing the issue!! It was/is intermittent and wiggling the base causes the trace to jump around, not good thing to trace precision low level sensitive analog signals  :P

When I was still working a regular job (retired a few years ago), any of this non-sense would get cut in half and tossed into the garbage, had no time for faulty equipment, test leads or probes. Almost grabbed the snippers, but decided to tie the probe in a knot instead!!

Think some others have had issues with these PP215 probes, so going to get some SP2030A probes instead. Lesson learned again, and again, and again....... always check your equipment even when doing development work. It's always easy to blame yourself, your design, or someone else, when it's faulty equipment that has Murphy laughing at you |O

Do my best to keep the door closed and locked for Murphy, but he seems to find a way in now and then :o

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Issue with Siglent PP215 Passive Scope Probe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 07:54:21 pm »
I haven't had issues yet with the PP215, but I don't use them very hard or very much.  My PP510 is falling-apart junk by now.  I'd  recommend you look at Probemaster.

https://probemaster.com/4900-series-oscilloscope-probes/
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 08:15:07 pm »
Think some others have had issues with these PP215 probes, so going to get some SP2030A probes instead.
215 failures are rare IME but I have had just 1 dud from new and several 510 but recently duds are nonexistent although we now keep stock of a few of each as we check and compensate every probe before they go out the door.
510 have leapt in price where RRP is $25 now where once they were just $15 yet I have found some nice and more compact 100 MHz 10x autosense probes for just $15 our cost.

300 MHz 10x autosense 2030A are indeed the best bang for buck of probes Siglent offer but @ $59ea I went looking for better deals from Pintek where I found 350 MHz autosense 10x CP-3351R for $40 (our cost) so grabbed a few to properly evaluate them that I have yet to do.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 08:43:36 pm »
I'm not easy on equipment, but not abusive either. See no reason this probe should have become intermittent.

Had already ordered more probes (P2030A) and other equipment before I posted this, this included another SDS2104X+ (already have a 2X+) & SDP3303X-E (already have a 3303X_E also), these will supplement other equipment (lots of PS & Reference voltages involved, +75~150V, -75~150V, +13.75V, -13.75V, +12V, two +5Vs, +3.3V, +2.5V, and a few others!).

Curious to see what you find Rob, keep us informed.

Now back to designing ::)

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:01:50 pm »
I'm not easy on equipment, but not abusive either. See no reason this probe should have become intermittent.
Yes there's no reason why they shouldn't last a few years of normal wear and tear.

Curious to see what you find Rob, keep us informed.
I have 100, 350, 500 and 600 MHz passive 10x autosense probes from Pintek and one of their current probes to evaluate against Siglent's comparable offerings so there's a good bit of work to do that can only be done justice to over quiet spells during our winter months. Also a reasonably compact 1000x 8KV probe that I should write a little about too.
Wifes Bday in a few days and a road trip in the planning will both put any investigations on hold for a couple of weeks.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 08:55:00 pm »
Yeah Jason at Siglent NA has helped us on a couple occasions, both our fault, but he and Siglent came thru!!

Something that folks need to consider when acquiring new equipment, not the just price/performance ratio, but the customer service and FW update rate/quality.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:52:23 pm »
Sincerely 1970s, my  long experience is  there's nothing like a Tektronix probe

in the very wide range covers  every application

We have used Yokogawa, HP, Lecroy probes,OK  but never as good as an equivalent TEK.

see Tektronix Circuits Concept book Oscilloscope Probe Circuits

Some of our 1960s P6006 still work fine.

Certain types of Tek probes like the GHz  Zo P6136 are unique..no other sources.

Our lab has current, X10..100..1000, FET, differential, HV differential.

Enjoy

Bon Soirée

Jon

Jon
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 04:43:06 am by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 10:01:36 pm »
Over long experience there's nothing like a Tektronix probe

in the very wide range covers  every application

Jon
Agreed as they make them mostly all inhouse so totally control the QA/QC.
Like any product when part of it is imported QC becomes an issue.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 05:14:20 pm »
It must still remember price.

Tektronix TPP0250,  250MHz 10:1 probe, price 400 EUR (VAT 0)
Siglent cheap PP215 (200MHz 10:1/1:1), price 30 EUR (VAT 0)
If look only input cap., Tek <4pF, Siglent ~16pF

Tektronix TPP0500B, 500MHz 10:1 input C <4pF, price 660 EUR (VAT 0) 
Siglent  SP3050A (SP3150A),  500MHz 10:1  input C ~11pF, price 109 EUR (VAT 0)

All can understand it is not only quality control. They are totally different animals. Only others are really hard way developed, designed and manufactured.

But, who buy example Siglent SDS1204X-E if price is so high it also include 4pcs 400 eur probes. Just no one.

We have two kinds of stuff, cheap disposables --- and then there are these old HP calculators from the golden years that Ms. C. Fiorina destroyed.
Likewise also, we have, I too, a big box of very good (old) Tek probes that I will never give away or lend to anyone - not even for a moment.
But I must say I have also very good old HP probes (yes also some ones of them are really good including also longevity)

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 05:51:22 pm »
We have two kinds of stuff, cheap disposables --- and then there are these old HP calculators from the golden years that Ms. C. Fiorina destroyed.

Like my old friend the hp 32S II  ;)

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 12:14:50 pm »

Like my old friend the hp 32S II  ;)

Best,

Or like my older all fully working hp's like hp 67, 85, 71B, 91, 21, 25C, 33C, 32S, 28S, 11C, 15C(not this Limited Edition crap), 16C, 41CV and of course it is "full nut" version  and some more... example 67 is after 46 year still working perfectly (only magnetic card reader drive roller had to be renewed because the rubber got old. New rubber and maybe next 46 years but this I can not see. )
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 01:03:42 pm »
RF loop: Had some bad probes give misleading results or fall apart.

|Many probe specs  besides the (often inaccurate) C copm range, Cinput, claimed BW.

1/ Pulse abberation (overshoot, etc)

2/ Phase distortion

3/ Availability of accessories eg typs of ground retun leads, clips, bayonets', adapters

4/ Tip size and robustness

5/ Cable thickness, flexibility (especially poor on some Chinese) replacement cable (some TEK are plug in cable) type of BNC (special pins, shroud, compatibility) quality of BNC, ease of adjustment.

Besides Yokogawa and TEK, we have found a German probe firm PMK many diff/passive/active/current and a   X100  and 1000X safety rated probe.

https://www.pmk.de/en/home

https://www.pmk.de/en/products/5_mm_hochspannungstastkoepfe

We have the 100X PHV 100 on order

https://www.pmk.de/files/downloads/PHV%20Series%20Datasheet.pdf

Jon

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 05:57:47 pm »
If you're looking for PMK probes, you can also find them re-badged and sold by Keysight, R&S, LeCroy, Pico, etc.  In particular, the 2.5mm models and accessories are a popular re-badge, and they are fairly decent probes.

But, I would agree they're still not up to the build quality of the older Tek probes, such as the P613x family.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 10:43:00 pm »
Mark, we found  PMK probes Very useful in HV and SMPS work where a normal 400V TEKX10 is near limits on 360V bus especially with frequency derating.

Bought PHV2000  made a deal, two like new  EU100

X100 4 kV

https://www.pmk.de/files/downloads/PHV%20Series%20Datasheet.pdf

Jon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf