Author Topic: It's important the frequency test of handheld LCR meter?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline leftekTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
It's important the frequency test of handheld LCR meter?
« on: September 28, 2021, 05:55:10 pm »
Hello, i would like to buy a handheld LCR meter. I see the GW-INSTEK LCR-914 that have 1khz frequency test. It's low? I must to go for higher model LCR-915 with 10khz ?

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: It's important the frequency test of handheld LCR meter?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:00:29 pm »
Hello, i would like to buy a handheld LCR meter. I see the GW-INSTEK LCR-914 that have 1khz frequency test. It's low? I must to go for higher model LCR-915 with 10khz ?

It depends on what values you want to measure.  For example I found that for wide-ranging repair use, a 10kHz LCR was marginal but 100kHz is good enough for almost everything I do, which means maybe sort-of accurate down to the 1pF range. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: leftek

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:48:41 pm »
I don’t know the current prices, but the DER DE-5000 has 100, 120, 1k, 10k, and 100kHz test frequencies.  At 1 MHz and above, component fixturing becomes more critical.  For low pF measurements, the higher frequency the better.  For larger values, you may run into self resonance problems by 100 kHz.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 06:56:12 pm »
When someone asks "what kind of VNA/SA/whatever I need: 100MHz or 40GHz?" my answer is: you don't need any until you understand what you actually need :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:58:19 pm by ogden »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 09:19:38 pm »
+1 for DER DE-5000
It will get you started and might be the only LCR meter you need, and it will save you a bunch of Euros vs the  LCR-914 and 915

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 09:57:41 pm »
In most cases the test frequency does not matter beyond how it affects the measurement capability.  Line frequency capacitors are specified at 100 or 120 Hz.  Old impedance bridges use a test frequency of 1 kHz.  Capacitors for switching converters are specified at 100 kHz.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 05:30:25 am »
When someone asks "what kind of VNA/SA/whatever I need: 100MHz or 40GHz?" my answer is: you don't need any until you understand what you actually need :)

If you don't understand the question, it's not necessary to write anything out of topic.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 04:59:39 pm »

If you don't understand the question, it's not necessary to write anything out of topic.

Cool down, kid. I very well understood your Wrong Question. I can rephrase for those who don't get VNA alegory: "I shall get Yaris or Veyron?" ;) You shall be first telling what you think you will be doing with LCR meter, then ask what high frequency LCR meters are good for.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 05:16:27 pm »
Cool down, kid. I very well understood your Wrong Question. I can rephrase for those who don't get VNA alegory: "I shall get Yaris or Veyron?" ;) You shall be first telling what you think you will be doing with LCR meter, then ask what high frequency LCR meters are good for.

The Wrong Question was -> "It's important the frequency test of handheld LCR meter?"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:09:11 am by leftek »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 05:48:27 pm »
You shall be first telling what you think you will be doing with LCR meter, then ask what high frequency LCR meters are good for.

Why would it be necessary for us to know exactly what the OP is going to use the LCR for in order to provide a simple explanation of the implications of the test frequency?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 06:07:53 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 06:01:51 pm »

Regardless of what you will be doing with LCR meter, test frequency poses significant limitations even for quite basic measurements. Writing "you don't need any until you understand what you actually need" as minimum is lame. Even for rookie, LCR meter can be a quite useful tool. What was asked is a very valid question, and not everyone who actually needs to make measurements @ 100kHz (for they rather basic needs) knows that they actually need such measurement frequency.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 06:55:52 pm »
Why would it be necessary for us to know exactly what the OP is going to use the LCR for in order to provide a simple explanation of the implications of the test frequency?

Implications of the test frequency were explained already. My point was about asking better questions. You guys don't get sarcasm. It is always good to know intended use of hardware in question and experience of the OP. Very often people asks "how to do X" without explaining reasons, then after lenghty discussion about "how to do X", everybody realizes that OP actually is trying to solve problem "Y" and best solution is "doing Z", not "X". Just two cents.

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 08:05:23 pm »
leftek:

Having a LCR meter that can operate at higher frequencies can be useful if using the capacitor at a frequency other than what is specified on the datasheet.

DER EE DE-5000 is a good choice as is the East Tester ET4510...though the ET4510 has a bit of a strange UI...

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, ogden, leftek

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 03:18:17 pm »
I wasn't aware of East Tester.  Thx. 
How about the East Tester ET430 Handheld Digital?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 06:22:52 am »
Thank you for your information. I will try to buy the higher frequency in order to have the choice.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 05:13:26 pm »
Thank you for your information. I will try to buy the higher frequency in order to have the choice.

If you (hopefully) plan to learn more, get better at electronics then indeed it is wise to buy equipment with extra performance margin, especially if you can afford it :)

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 09:00:50 pm »
Writing "you don't need any until you understand what you actually need" as minimum is lame.

:palm:   Lame is not getting what actually is said by that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf