Author Topic: jds6600 hacks?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline pauleTopic starter

jds6600 hacks?
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:22 pm »
Question about hacking the JDS6600.  Remember when the Rigol scopes came out with different top frequency options and prices?  Software hacks were worked out to allow the lower freq scopes to be upgraded to the higher freq.  Looks like the JDS6600 may have the same potential.  anyone looking at the physical/firmware to see what the differences are between the 15, 25, 30, 40 and 60 mhz versions?  is it hardware differences or just firmware differences.  Way beyond my technical ability to look at this, but I know there are some really saavy folks out there.  I think I am about to grab a 40mhz version based on reviews here and on youtube...  thx

Offline RK_aus_S

• Contributor
    • Roman Kuechler
Re: jds6600 hacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 05:13:58 pm »
I consider the same things. It should be possible to hack the device to get the full 60 MHz version. I'm quite sure, all 4 versions (15, 30, 40 and 60 MHz) have the same hardware...

Maybe I can revive this topic here?

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Re: jds6600 hacks?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:12:46 pm »
it's already overclocked. So I think that model rated for lower frequency is just factory rejected 60 MHz version. I think they tested it on the factory and if it doesn't fit with 60 MHz specification, they rated it as a lower frequency on which it still works stable.

Since it's already overclocked (160 MHz DAC works at 250 MHz), there is a risk that it can fail or it's parameters will be degraded after short period of time.

So, I even don't see the reason to hack it. It's already hacked from the factory.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf