Author Topic: JunTek PSG9080 Programmable Signal Generator (80 MHz - 300 MSa/s - 14-bit)  (Read 9546 times)

Offline jpshea

Re: JunTek PSG9080 Programmable Signal Generator (80 MHz - 300 MSa/s - 14-bit)
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2021, 12:58:19 pm »
Can the PSG9080 do (constant frequency) AM and frequency sweep at the same time?

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »
Can the PSG9080 do (constant frequency) AM and frequency sweep at the same time?

No, modulation mode and sweep mode are different modes and available on separate screens.

I'm wondering, what you're trying to do with AM modulation in sweep mode?  ???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:26:37 pm by radiolistener »

Offline XeRoX

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2021, 09:29:09 pm »
Hello!!

I just beginner in electronics.

I also bought JUNTEK PSG9080 in DEC 2020. I wanna pass out triangle signal to op amp but with external voltage offset by another op amp (both op amps are powering by external 9V BAT->3.3V LDO->OP AMPS). Then I connect GEN_GND (just GND without output !) to my offset amp then oscilloscope start display offset voltage with some noise component. My offset op amp produce 100 mV signal. If I try power generator from classical supply with 50 Hz transformer can it help me keep my 100 mV signal in clear?

Also I have another question about this generator - can I use it for getting amplitude-frequency response diagrams ? I saw sweep mode but can't synchronize gen output with "in X" on oscilloscope(( Does it really possible with such equipment?

Thanks all for answers !!

Offline jpshea

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2021, 03:38:21 am »
@radiolistener for EMC immunity testing

Offline ozcar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2021, 04:10:54 am »
Also I have another question about this generator - can I use it for getting amplitude-frequency response diagrams ? I saw sweep mode but can't synchronize gen output with "in X" on oscilloscope(( Does it really possible with such equipment?

If the sweep does not provide a sync output, maybe instead you could FM modulate one channel by the other.

Offline XeRoX

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2021, 10:06:09 am »
Hello!! My question about noise is not correct and actual more. I just used oscilloscope incorrectly. I connect generator out both to osc and op amp input. Then I try to get signals from generator and from op amp input synchronously I just connect offset amp output to GND by generator and oscilloscope cabels  :-[  Sorry for incorrect question.... Also I already have checked and working chassis of power supply 5V / 3A with linear stabilizer) I'm not sure that I need in such construstion in generator right now ......

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2021, 02:23:33 am »
I'm not sure that I need in such construstion in generator right now ......

if you want to put external voltage offset, you're needs to remove DC offset of generator.
Otherwise you can burn out generator with external voltage.

It means you're needs to connect output through some capacitor or transformer or use some buffer amplifier.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:25:22 am by radiolistener »

Offline DROBNJAK

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2021, 10:12:10 am »
I also really like the frequency fine tune in the menu which lets you adjust its output frequency to be more m from factory it is at 50% adjustment, I adjusted mine to 58% to get it almost bang on frequency, unfortunately though this adjustment doesn't have an effect on the frequency counter input, that seems to be a seperate reference (or is not software tied to the fine tuning).

yes, I also notice that frequency fine tune doesn't affect frequency meter.

Here is actual frequency output on my unit for 50 MHz setting and different frequency fine tuning value:
- 49.999713 MHz for setting 49
- 49.999765 MHz for setting 50 (default)
- 49.999817 MHz for setting 51
- 49.999869 MHz for setting 52
- 49.999921 MHz for setting 53
- 49.999973 MHz for setting 54
- 50.000026 MHz for setting 55
- 50.000078 MHz for setting 56

About 52 Hz per unit. 52*50 = ±2600 Hz tune range.
I think it's too high for usual TCXO, it will be better to have about 5 Hz per unit.

I have an application where I need the accuracy of 1 Hz or better at around 60-70 MHz.

Can you please tell me if you can achieve such accuracy with PSG9080 sig-gen?

What kind of signal generator can guarantee such high accuracy?

Offline mawyatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2021, 05:14:00 pm »
Doubt the PSG9080 or most lower cost AWGs can achieve that level of accuracy. Likely require an external reference like a GPS reference for use with the AWGs that have an external reference (10MHz) input.

Think most of the mid-level AWGs from Siglent and Rigol will work with an external GPS reference, I know our SDG2042X works with 10MHz external references although we don't have a specific GPS reference. The higher end AWGs from KS and Tektronix should also work with an external GPS reference.

Best,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:38:52 pm by mawyatt »
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

The following users thanked this post: DROBNJAK

Offline DROBNJAK

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2021, 08:43:47 am »
Doubt the PSG9080 or most lower cost AWGs can achieve that level of accuracy. Likely require an external reference like a GPS reference for use with the AWGs that have an external reference (10MHz) input.

Think most of the mid-level AWGs from Siglent and Rigol will work with an external GPS reference, I know our SDG2042X works with 10MHz external references although we don't have a specific GPS reference. The higher end AWGs from KS and Tektronix should also work with an external GPS reference.

Best,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that GPS reference is so good. That can save me some money.

On another note, in Rigol's DSG800 1.5 GHz spec sheet is says, pg.2 section: "Internal Reference Frequency", that it can deliver "< 5 ppb" frequency accuracy. That's 5 parts-per-billion which I find astonishing. Its just pitty it is out of my price range.

Is < 5 ppb frequency accuracy really common in that price range of AWGs?

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/jg/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Rigol-DSG800-Datasheet.pdf

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2021, 11:51:26 am »

Best,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that GPS reference is so good. That can save me some money.

On another note, in Rigol's DSG800 1.5 GHz spec sheet is says, pg.2 section: "Internal Reference Frequency", that it can deliver "< 5 ppb" frequency accuracy. That's 5 parts-per-billion which I find astonishing. Its just pitty it is out of my price range.

Is < 5 ppb frequency accuracy really common in that price range of AWGs?

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/jg/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Rigol-DSG800-Datasheet.pdf

This is only if you buy it with Optional OCXO reference.

Reference frequency 10 MHz
Temperature stability
In temperature range 0℃ to 50℃ , reference to 25℃ < 2 ppm
Aging rate < 1 ppm/year
With option OCXO-B08 < 5 ppb
With option OCXO-B08 < 30 ppb/year

+/- 5ppb is not very good.
+/- 50mHz @10MHz 

Also did not find what is initial accuracy after factory product line calibration. Hard to believe they can promise its initial limit is <5 ppb

standard version 2ppm alone mean max +/- 140Hz error with 70MHz and then also aging.

With Rb or GPS you can get lot of better than this OCXO Option version "5ppb" class what is "only"  5x10-9 + aging etc.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:00:56 pm by rf-loop »
If practice and theory is not equal it tells that used application of theory is wrong or the theory itself is wrong.
-
Harmony OS

Offline makoshatu

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2021, 11:34:23 pm »
Hi! Could anybody properly install the PC software for this PSG9080? I downloaded both the english and chinese version of the software from the Juntek website, but the zipped english version has CRC error. The CN version can be installed, however it could not register an .ocx controler. I added that .ocx file to the Windows and I registered it manually, so the software now can be run (an error message still show, but it can be okayed). Unfortunatelly, it does not show any text on the GUI, only the different values (frequency, amplitude, phase, etc.) can be set (if you know that what are you setting actually...).

Offline hflorin

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2021, 06:11:24 pm »
Hi there,

@SERJSOCHI

In your first post, you asked this:
Does this generator have a sweep sync output signal (see picture)?
    * sweep_sync.png (92.71 kB, 800x480 - viewed 533 times.)

In the second post I saw that you also bought one PSG9080:
Hi. I received this generator today. The speaker is very loud, sealed it with tape, now it sounds much better.
What is the best way to remove the gray bumper, as it interferes with placing the device on the shelf.

Please tell me, does this generator have a sweep sync output signal like in your picture?

Many thanks,
Florin

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Please tell me, does this generator have a sweep sync output signal like in your picture?

Unfortunately no, it doesn't have sweep sync output.
Hardware allows to implement it, so I hope manufacturer will add such option in the future firmware.

The following users thanked this post: hflorin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf