Author Topic: Just bought a GW-Instek GPP-4323 power supply-First impressions etc.  (Read 8460 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Just bought myself a GW-Instek GPP-4323 power supply from ELESHOP in Holland.
Cost breakdown as follows:

GW Instek GPP-4323 power supply    GPP-4323    1    €553.68 (£488)
GW Instek GPP-series LAN card    GPP-LAN    1    €30.00
Subtotal    €583.68
Shipping & Handling    €10.00
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)    €593.68
VAT-GB (21%) €124.67
Tax    €124.67
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)    €718.35

Total of £635.06. I paid 21% VAT whereas the VAT rate in the UK is 20%. Farnell quote £471 + VAT, so I could have got it for less with free postage and less VAT but no stock. SJS electronics quote £560.
I will post my first impressions when it arrives.

David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Just bought a GW-Instek GPP-4323 power supply-First impressions etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:48:01 pm »
It's here and I'm happy with it. Nice quiet fan. Rotary encoder for control knob. Comes with 4 sets of leads with crocodile clips on one end and 4 mm recessed banana sockets on the other. And a green earth lead with a green 4 mm socket on the end.
Nice compact size and easy to use. The annoying beeper can be turned off. The sockets are recessed but I've bought some Pomona 2894-2 and 2894-0
adaptors that will allow more options.

https://uk.farnell.com/pomona/2894-2/adapter-binding-post-banana-plug/dp/2526681
and
https://uk.farnell.com/pomona/2894-0/adaptor-binding-post-banana-plug/dp/2406327

I've checked some voltage outputs and I'll post the minimum and maximum outputs per channel later.
A bit annoying that it didn't come with a 3 pin UK IEC lead but soon remedied. Quick start guide is useless.
More later.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:49:41 pm by djsb »
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

The following users thanked this post: AllTheGearNoIdea

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:48 am »
Yea, I'm still waiting on mine, got another month or two to go still.  I just HAD to have the LAN option for my GPP-4323, even though it can only be installed at the factory...  In China...  In the middle of a pandemic...  And I placed the order anyway in February...  I'm not sure I thought that one through well enough.   |O

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:10 pm »
I saw this PSU in a different thread and am rather tempted by it, but i _hate_ the recessed non-binding posts. So just to clarify, when you ordered it the eleshop photo showed normal binding posts, but the unit you received came with the recessed sockets? I'm hoping that their stock changed and they updated the picture, but it's probably in vain.

I also quickly checked tequipment and while they have it for a decent price it wouldn't generate a shipping quote - unfortunately they probably aren't allowed to send one to the UK :(

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:59:39 pm »
I think the EU/UK get recessed sockets and other markets get binding posts.

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 10:07:49 pm »
I'm in the US and received binding posts.  Quite happy with this PS so far, although I haven't really used the programmable load function yet.

1067440-0

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 10:49:03 pm »
I just got the GPP-4323 couple days ago. TME had limited discount and it was the last in stock. The first impressions went from being impressed about the relatively compact form, well thought-out user interface and very quiet operation, to disappointment about unnecessary last digit for the not that great accuracy, to again being impressed by the low drift and stability especially of the lower range aux channels.

Let's get some less well known specs overview out first:
The readback resolution is 0.1 mV and 0.1 mA but the instrument is specified with horribly coarse 0.03% + 10 mV and 0.3% + 10 mA, both for setting and readback values, which almost nullifies the usefulness of the fourth digit beyond decimal point. In reality the accuracy is quite bit better, it seems this GW Instek is covering the imprecise zero offset and internal resistor parallel to the output which will affect the low current readings at higher voltages. The set and readback are not coupled into feedback loop, so they can both drift independently.
The CH1 and CH2 are identical main outputs, 0-33 V and 0-3.2 A (so a little more over the official datasheet range) while also being able to sink 0-33 V and 0-3.2 A in load mode, being limited by 50 W total input power. OVP and OCP limits go even more beoynd that range, 0.5-35 V and 0.05-3.5 A. There's rather large 470 uF capacitor and 470 Ohm parallel resistor at the output terminals.
CH1 and CH2 have internal relays to change into classic serial or parallel mode. They also have internal relays to switch over to load mode, really welcome innovation. The voltage at the jacks has to be low (<1V) or none to be able to switch between he source and any sink (CV, CC, CR) mode, otherwise it will fail with error message couple seconds later. That's perhaps why there is no front panel voltage reading under 1 V input but you can read it remotely. You can set 1.5-35 V in CV mode but if you are in CC or CR you can use the load basically down to zero or at least to very low values limited by lowest resistance of the loading circuitry. In practice I was able to sink 100 mA at 20 mV, 1 A at 200 mV, 3 A at 600 mV. That's totally usable to discharge any batteries in the available current range. The CR mode has only 1 Ohm to 1 kOhm range, so it's limited in range and resolution but still better than nothing. Unfortunately when you get back to supply mode the channel uses the same values last set for loading and doesn't go back to last used sourcing voltage and current.
CH3 and CH4 look symmetrical inside but are different. CH3 goes 0-16 V and 0-1.1 A and CH4 goes only 0-5.5 V and 0-1.1 A but it's significantly more accurate and stable, thanks to higher resolution per volt of the ADC/DAC. There's smaller 100 uF capacitor and 1 kOhm parallel resistor at the output terminals.
All channels are completely separate and isolated, major advantage against similarly priced multichannel supplies. From my simple test I saw no detectable change in the CH3 output when I put CH1 into source and CH2 into load mode, drawing and burning some 30 W.
You can have some idea from this 10 minute voltage stability reading. The power supply values include both set+readback inaccuracies together while I'm measuring the most stable CH4 with 34401A and it's stable down to the 0.1 mV:

Here are some voltage and current readings through the range with my uncalibrated Agilent 34401A. The short circuit current aren't much useful for absolute accuracy because in use there will be some portion of small current getting lost in the parallel resistor connected to the output, and I don't know at what input was it calibrated in factory. But it's useful to have some comparison across the channels. I also included another current measurement from the more accurate CH4 at 10 V, being loaded by CH1 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSAmuvfcysmZyoXO-G8Ks2CuzfTUr3kWx1BcEYiueAI9lsqgBrvoLWwYOEaJRnOpns1F91hRUq4cZEK/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true
1204648-1

CH2 stability, the worse of the main two channels based on power supply readback range of vlaues. Still, it's regulated well within 1 mV (tested without load). 0.2 mV per division.

CH3 stability, the rock solid aux channel, albeit limited only to 5.5 V

CH4, the better aux channel

Now for usability and user interface. In my opinion the front panel is well laid out, the controls are useful and easy to operate. For testing the supply when I need to change the output by small increments I use only the rotary encoder. It feels pretty good with noticeable but not too hard clicks. Unfortunately later I found that the resting position isn't so stable and there's small amount of play clockwise that can increment the value without moving to the next click. It doesn't happen often but sometimes I would find out that I dialed one more than I wanted. Otherwise I could count that each click was precisely one increment.
Memory button is strangely used only to save or load all channel presets. There is screenshot function but burried in System-Setting-Hardcopy. However it doesn't work! Both saving channel values recording and the "Hardcopy" doesn't save anything to the USB stick. I tried both 4GB ones with same result. Even worse, the Hardcopy button freezes your supply, you can't even turn any channel off until you remove the stick. And that's with latest, couple months old 1.16 firmware. The only thing what I found works on the USB stick is saving and recalling the channel presets. Quite limited function if you ask me.
Then there are more advanced functions of sequencing (for example you can make ramp up but you're very limited by 1 point-1change per second), delays, monitor alarms. You can also change the display style, there are 5 regular ones and two waveforms. But only the first one shows all 4 channels together with both set voltage and set current visible. If you don't need that or want to see only one channel at a time then it can be useful to have much larger font on the display. The look is quite pleasing, certainly better than average with good readability. Unfortunately the large LCD is also very reflective so at different angles you can see more what's on your desk or behind you rather than the power values. In darker corner it's not a problem.
Another problem recessed jacks, by that I mean both the safety EU style plugs and the indented lower panel. If you look at it down you won't see any of those channel labels. I solved it by printing transparent label on the bottom. Closer examination reveals venting holes under the display/button bump, so that's perhaps the reason for that shape, still doesn't explain why GW Instek couldn't label the channels at the bottom. There's also no color coding which could be certainly useful to orient yourself in the unusual CH4-CH1-GND-CH2-CH3 arrangement.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:12:13 pm by jnd »
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, jjoonathan, spiff72, arvidb

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 12:06:43 am »
Did somebody say "no color coding"? My time to shine! On a GPP-4323, no less.

The following users thanked this post: MazeFrame

Offline Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 08:31:02 am »
Hello

are you still satisfied with the GPP-4323.
Are there any annoying noises like transformer humming etc. coming from the unit?

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards and stay healthy!
Markus
Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 12:52:57 pm »
Yep, it still works just as well as it did on the first day. No hum, no egregious fan revving, it just works. I'd still recommend it.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, Markus2801A

Offline Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 09:29:58 am »
Yep, it still works just as well as it did on the first day. No hum, no egregious fan revving, it just works. I'd still recommend it.  :-+

Very cool to hear that you are satisfied.

In the meanwhile I got my unit too! It's indeed a very great device. Build quality is superior to the Owon Unit I had before (and returned it because of the annoying humm noise!).
I really like it! Its Firmware is March 2021! v1.17 :-) seems to be brand new.

Fan Noise is audible but its not annoying its relatively quiet :-)

Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 03:12:05 pm »
I have a question:

is there a current offset ?

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »
GPP-4323 ripple test (by jjoonathan, author of color coding video)

https://youtu.be/UxEG-gMXnoQ

And review of GPP-4323
https://youtu.be/SE7xzR4Q4mA
Edit:  I like this review  :-+ It makes a pretty good case for the product - Instek should consider jjoonathan‘s feedback on the product features and they should adopt/convey his rationale about the value proposition regarding the multiple PSs + the load function in their marketing
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:05:46 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 06:21:14 pm »
Yes, it does have a small but annoying offsets. While I like mine, I really wish GW Instek would share the calibration procedure so I could try and eliminate them. I've had a poke around in the firmware but am not experienced enough to work out how to access the calibration routine.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 07:35:26 pm »
Yes, it does have a small but annoying offsets. While I like mine, I really wish GW Instek would share the calibration procedure so I could try and eliminate them. I've had a poke around in the firmware but am not experienced enough to work out how to access the calibration routine.

Korad provides a front panel calibration procedure - has anyone asked GW Instek if they can provide one?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 07:52:31 pm »
Given the small offset I strongly doubt you can make it any better. Just look at how small it is compared to the full range. IOW: don't mess with it; you'll likely make it worse.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 08:23:28 pm »
32V/3A is quite a lot. Does it have a switching pre-regulator?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 08:52:55 pm »
32V/3A is quite a lot.
Hardly, plenty of linear PSU's have such specs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 09:08:32 pm »
set it to:

12V  5mA to understand why the question for this small offsets is interesting  :)
We have to add it to the setting. I have payed this 800€ to have a trustful current control in small areas.
Otherwise any chinese PSU for 120,- can do the job also
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:11:09 pm by Martin.M »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 09:57:11 pm »
set it to:

12V  5mA to understand why the question for this small offsets is interesting  :)
We have to add it to the setting. I have payed this 800€ to have a trustful current control in small areas.

Exactly!! Lots of folks that haven't worked in research labs with advanced SOTA semiconductors that are highly susceptible to damage by just slight over voltage or over current, don't appreciate having a precise voltage and current limit. Almost 50 years ago we lost well over $20K of chips because of a lab supply slight overshoot on start up, that's why I won't consider Korad (think a Rigol also had an overshoot issue), I'll let others play Russian Roulette :o

I hosed up a SDP3303X-E by not following the calibration procedure and created a current offset that now I can't remove...all my fault |O
With this offset I'm reluctant to use this supply now for any precision work, since I know from experience it will come back and bite me sooner or later. Just now, I've got ~$3K of chips sitting on the other side of the supplies I'm using, so very careful with setting a reliable and accurate current limit, as well as voltage.

The SDP3303X-E are good (after augmentation), and I can rely on a few ma for current limit if required, but suspect the GPPs are better.

Wish someone would figure out how to remove this current offset on the one SDP3303X-E we have, the other 2 are fine. However, for now it's not going to see any serious use because of the offset.

Best,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:29:10 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 10:27:11 pm »
set it to:

Exactly!! Lots of folks that haven't worked in research labs with advanced SOTA semiconductors that are highly susceptible to damage by just slight over voltage or over current, don't appreciate having a precise voltage and current limit. Almost 50 years ago we lost well over $20K of chips because of a lab supply slight overshoot on start up, that's why I won't consider Konrad, I'll let others play Russian Roulette :o
But main thing is that wanting a few mA from a PSU which has a 3A range is too much to ask. You are working next to the noise level of the current sensing circuitry of a regular power supply in such a case. For these kind of jobs you need a PSU with dual current range (like the older Agilent 663xx series which still has a >1mA setpoint uncertainty) or an SMU.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:41:39 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 10:46:33 pm »

But main thing is that wanting a few mA from a PSU which has a 3A range is too much to ask. You are working next to the noise level of the current sensing circuitry of a regular power supply in such a case. For these kind of jobs you need a PSU with dual current range (like the Keysight E3631x series or the older Agilent 663xx series) or an SMU.

Agree, the best case is using a supply with the proper current limit range, and Keysight and others higher end types have these. However, some of the mid price range supplies mentioned are quite good down in the ma range, know the SDP3303X-E when augmented and calibrated (please follow the Siglent cal routine) is OK. Did quite a bit of testing before I would consider using the SDP3303X-E for the development work we are currently involved with. Haven't used any of the GPP stuff you and others have, but from what you've posted and others this seems like superb equipment  :-+

One thing about these newer medium cost range supplies, they seem to be utilizing the new Sigma-Delta ADCs and DACs chips which provide large dynamic ranges and likely why they can dive down into the ma range and still support 3 amps. These chips are remarkable considering the cost, and many are finding their way into mid range DMMs as well.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 12:01:47 am »
set it to:

If you want really good control of 12V in region of 5mA NONE of the general purpose PSU are to be trusted. Even expensive Keysight or R&S.
They all have output capacitors that will discharge significant energy in DUT if it suddenly starts to pull large current.
Simply put, you set PSU for 12V and 10mA and connect small LED with PSU output enabled and you will kill the LED, unless it is one of those high power types..

For instance, my Rigol DP831, outputs 4,9mA when set for 5mA and 12 V. Quite better than specs. But that holds only if you set current with outputs OFF, connect the load and then enable PSU outputs. This way output capacitors inside PSU (those soldered directly to output terminals) are discharged, and will actually contribute that output voltage will slowly ramp up until output current reaches 5 mA. For a red LED about 2 V. It will ramp up slowly because it will need to charge capacitors in addition to supplying current to DUT. But if you disconnect the load, capacitors will charge to full voltage and if you connect DUT again, it will discharge full voltage into DUT, without current limit. Current limit circuit is before output capacitors.

On top of that,  5 mA on a 3 A is well in the error band on that GW Instek PSU that in datasheet has specified:

Line Regulation ≦0.2%+3mA
Load Regulation ≦0.2%+3mA
Ripple & Noise ≦ 2mA RMS(let's say P-P on that would be 10mA)

It is not clear whether 0,2% is from full scale or set value...

Anyhow, you can have up to 6 mA offset and 2mA RMS fluctuations and your PSU would be in spec.

IN addition to all mentioned, most of the general purpose PSU you can buy, despite having both voltage and current controls, are not very good at switching from CV to CC mode and back. They can have delays in reaction, in which output is not very controlled. These are milliseconds (or microseconds) but you can  get spikes of overvoltage/overcurrent. You wouldn't see them on multimeter, but will see them on a scope.

If you have to have control of 5mA at 12 volts, you have to have something called SMU (source measure unit) that will have fine control, or at least a precision power supply that is made for small currents ( smaller than 100 mA maybe) and have small output capacitor ( so it cannot discharge significant energy into DUT).
Odds are it would be quite easier for you to make one that would be good for your purpose than find something to buy that won't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm afraid that you bought device that is not what you expected. Not that it is not a good device, it is quite good general purpose PSU, but not what you though it would be.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 01:17:59 am »
A side note: it is a good custom to set a PSU to a voltage which can't harm the DUT even when you are only interested in sending current through the DUT. The amount of energy in the output capacitors goes up exponentially with the voltage so the lower the output voltage, the less damage a discharge can do. Setting a PSU to 12V / 5mA to test an LED is not a good way of doing such a test. Look up the worst-case forward voltage first and set the PSU to a little bit above the worst case forward voltage.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 01:41:12 am »
This sorta gets into the grey area of what is safe regarding energy discharge. Eons ago when working with Rad-Hard designs I recall a spec that was 10mJ per supply line as the maximum available energy source for safe recovery from an event. The assumption was that all the energy would discharge into the forward biased chip to substrate junction caused by the nuclear event, if the chip was junction isolated.

A little math shows the maximum capacitance as:

C = 139uF for 12 volts
C = 800uF for 5 volts
C= 1837uF for 3.3 volts

Edit: Corrected above.

Of course the 10mJ is from long ago, and one would expect modern chips to be more sensitive, how much more sensitive I don't know.

The message 2N3055 coveys is important, you want the lowest possible output capacitance from your supply. The popular concept of loading the supply lines with lots of capacitance to reduce ripple effects may not be a wise choice!!

Using a supply that misbehaves when entering or leaving CC is also a recipe for disaster, as is voltage overshoot on startup or shut down. The only supply I'll comment on is the ones we selected for the critical use in the on-going development project, which is the Siglent SDP3303X-E. These have been tested, augmented to 3303X and calibrated and behave well.

All this reminds me that we are entering an area with the ongoing project where over $10,000 of chips could be instantly ruined by a mistake. We've taken measures in the power supply design to provide protection from reverse voltage, over voltage, excessive current and so on, but need to revisit the main bench power supplies and check them out very carefully. We've already put a new ODA HV Lab Type supply thru a loaded multi-day burn in outside. It had a horrid smell from the lacquer used to seal the two power transformers, so another good reason to burn in outside :P 

Best,

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:55:42 am by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf