Author Topic: Just bought a 'used' Agilent U1242B Meter from Keysight on eBay  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Just bought a 'used' Agilent U1242B Meter from Keysight on eBay
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:36:56 am »
I've been so happy with the quality, accuracy, and usability of my U1252B that I thought I'd get what looks like its baby brother to replace the Fluke 117 meter I just gave to my son; I owned the Fluke for a while but wasn't using it as it has no uA range and is better suited for house electrical work. 

The Keysight listing said 'used' but it's tested, guaranteed for 30 days, comes with a set of test leads, and the pictures (assuming they are of my actual unit) look like new. It has basic DC accuracy of 0.09%  :-+, some thermistor-related features and a 4-20 mA function too.

I was going to make a 90% offer but the eBay system told me there were 2 counter-offers pending so I hit the [buy it now] button and paid full price which was $141 (+ 6% tax in Michigan so $150 total).

Any thoughts, comments, or advice on this meter?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Just bought a 'used' Agilent U1242B Meter from Keysight on eBay
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:48:38 am »

Just don't "rub"  ::) too much on the printed label at the DMM's body. see for your self at below close up photos of my U1242B.

Even my cheap decades old 2 bucks DMMs don't have this kind of paint quality.  :-[

Its never exposed to any liquid nor solvent or any nasty chemical, only normal usage using various and "quality" test leads that have normal shrouded banana plug, no cheap test leads ever plugged on it.

Oh .. I don't have sweaty fingers either.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:50:15 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:20:19 pm »
I think that this DMM has a bad access for fuses, it is not easy to replace them. Am I right?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 03:47:31 pm »
There are two youtube videos which demonstrate some odd behavior of the meter. Any comments if they are anything to be concerned about?

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
I have u1241b.
The fuses are not easy to replace as it is in my video.
I have not checked the odd behavior but it is fine dmm for me so far.
https://youtu.be/sffTKC8Vn-4

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 11:19:20 am »
In a world where I can click on the [Buy it Now] button in Amazon on a Saturday for an electronic item and have it appear on my doorstep with no shipping charges the following day - on a Sunday! - it's slightly frustrating to have to wait for Keysight to even ship a used item I paid their asking price days ago.  To be fair, their listing did say...

"Estimated between Mon. Sep. 30 and Wed. Oct. 2 - Includes 10 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment"

But the listing details also says "Ships within 5 business days after payment from Roseville, CA, USA" so what exactly is happening at Keysight in Roseville?  Are teams of white-lab-coat-wearing Keysight technicians hooking my used U1242B meter up to $1 million worth of fancy test gear and ooohing and aahing at the results?

The eBay listing specifically says "Full working condition. 30 days warranty. Tested or calibrated" but points out that, if there's no picture showing a Cal certificate, (there wasn't one) then it's not calibrated.  So what does "tested" mean? If they tested it on the volts range and found it reported 11 volts when testing a 5 volt supply, what would they do then?

OK, this post is a bit of a whining vent on my part and maybe they are thoroughly testing my used meter. I ordered and paid on 9/10 so Keysight are still within their stated timing but they need to ship by 9/17 to stay compliant.

But hey, like Kevin Bloody Wilson, that bastion of Australian culture would likely say, Keysight yer c%#$s, where's me f#$%ing meter?  :-DMM
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:45:47 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:58:19 am »
I think that this DMM has a bad access for fuses, it is not easy to replace them. Am I right?

Bad fuse access is a punishment for those who don't use their meters correctly. :popcorn:

(Seriously: if "bad access for fuses" is an issue, you need to look somewhere between the meter and the chair for the problem)

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 12:01:47 pm »
Great piece of equipment, the only thing I cant stand is how ugly it is. Other than that i would own one.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »

Bad fuse access is a punishment for those who don't use their meters correctly. :popcorn:

(Seriously: if "bad access for fuses" is an issue, you need to look somewhere between the meter and the chair for the problem)
I agree that fuses blow when people don't use the tool properly but having to take the whole thing apart and remove the PCB is pretty extreme action to change a fuse.  All my use is on low power stuff so I'm unconcerned.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 01:20:01 pm »

Minor but important, don't use alkaline, use LSD NiMh cells instead, they should be more than enough and probably will last very long time.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 04:03:35 pm »
Minor but important, don't use alkaline, use LSD NiMh cells instead, they should be more than enough and probably will last very long time.
Why not?

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 05:00:08 pm »
Looks like a nice meter, congratulations.

With regard to the shipping, if they clearly state on the sale that you will receive it on 9/30 - 10/2, then there is little else you can say.  It does not make sense to compare it to Amazon's one day shipping, which is only for certain items.  It is like complaining my car does not accelerate like a Tesla Model S.  If you don't get it by 10/2, then it is a different matter. 

I looked at the same DMM at Amazon, it is $437 new, and "usually ships within 2-3 weeks".  So I guess $141 is a really good deal, and you don't get it any faster via Amazon.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 05:32:38 pm »
I agree that fuses blow when people don't use the tool properly but having to take the whole thing apart and remove the PCB is pretty extreme action to change a fuse.  All my use is on low power stuff so I'm unconcerned.

The pain you feel is just carelessness leaving the body.

PS: Don't those things at least have some sort of input jack alert?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 05:59:57 pm »
Although I don't have the same models as you, I really like my handheld HPAK meters - well featured, accurate in the years of service and, save an annoyance or two, do the job with quite the excellence.

I don't use rechargeables on my meters, but I switched to Lithium non rechargeables simply because I am afraid of having a battery leak. My U1273A draws quite the power, thus the concern is not too pressing. However, the U1282A is extremely low power and the risk of leaving batteries that become old and leaky is higher.

Regarding fuses, I always ran into accidents that required the occasional fuse replacement. Having to open the entire meter is not an issue in my opinion, but having to remove the PCB is quite extreme.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:01:36 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 06:09:47 pm »
Looks like a nice meter, congratulations.

With regard to the shipping, if they clearly state on the sale that you will receive it on 9/30 - 10/2, then there is little else you can say.  It does not make sense to compare it to Amazon's one day shipping, which is only for certain items.  It is like complaining my car does not accelerate like a Tesla Model S.  If you don't get it by 10/2, then it is a different matter. 

I looked at the same DMM at Amazon, it is $437 new, and "usually ships within 2-3 weeks".  So I guess $141 is a really good deal, and you don't get it any faster via Amazon.
I think you must've entered the wrong part number, a U1242B is listed at $277 on Amazon and the Keysight website says typical price of $236.

I was being whiney, I can't complain on the actual dates as long as it come by when they say it will; I was just asking why does it have to take so long to ship?

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 10:44:07 pm »
My bad, I thought it was a 1252B and did the wrong lookup.

I think this is always a challenge with working directly with large companies that rely most on distributors and retailers to serve the general public.  The direct channel (new or used) may not be the fastest. 

I agree with you that if you mostly work on low power circuits, the odd for blowing fuses is pretty low. 

I like the orange LCD, but the slanted button reminds me of some HP calculators like the 33S.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 05:22:27 am »
I'm going to hijack the thread a little bit - a couple comments on the questions about Keysight shipping time, eBay/refurb, and the Roseville site.

1. Shipping time - yes, I 100% wish it were faster and there may or may not be some initiatives that are exploring options. Shops like Amazon, etc., make the bulk of their income because of their sales volumes, product diversity, and availability (quick ship times, things are in stock). An OEM like us (Keysight) loses very little business due to a slower shipping time. We do, however, save $ by doing it, which directly translates to pricing decisions. It takes FOREVER to get stuff we order internally, so I feel your pain :). That being said, often our authorized distributors DO have faster ship times if they've opted to stock an item.

2. eBay/refurb - I'm a huge fan, and wouldn't hesitate to spend my $ on a Keysight refurbished product through eBay. Our overhaul process is pretty extreme and the warranty backs up any rare latent problems that might pop up. The actual process can take a lot of different forms depending on the product, and it's not uncommon for multiple hands in multiple countries to touch a refurb product or board. Which brings us to Roseville, CA.

3. Roseville is the main service center for the USA & North America (and maybe South America?), there are other hubs around the world that are roughly equivalent. If you (USA) drew the short straw and had a scope with a bad acquisition board, it'll end up in Roseville, where they'll put in a new (or reman) board and ship the scope back. Your board then gets evaluated and possibly repaired to be sold in a refurb scope. So, it's not crazy for a place like Roseville to be the last place a refurb scope ends up before it lands on your bench. The situation varies with the complexity level of the equipment in question, but this is a general common situation. At the same time, your item could ship out of our place in Malaysia, which would account for the longer ship times.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, nctnico, edavid, Gandalf_Sr

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 06:08:10 am »
I've been so happy with the quality, accuracy, and usability of my U1252B that I thought I'd get what looks like its baby brother to replace the Fluke 117 meter I just gave to my son; I owned the Fluke for a while but wasn't using it as it has no uA range and is better suited for house electrical work. 

The Keysight listing said 'used' but it's tested, guaranteed for 30 days, comes with a set of test leads, and the pictures (assuming they are of my actual unit) look like new. It has basic DC accuracy of 0.09%  :-+, some thermistor-related features and a 4-20 mA function too.

I was going to make a 90% offer but the eBay system told me there were 2 counter-offers pending so I hit the [buy it now] button and paid full price which was $141 (+ 6% tax in Michigan so $150 total).

I think you would've been fine just doing an offer.  If that one sold, then that seller would have listed another refurb for sale immediately. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 10:36:19 am »
I think you would've been fine just doing an offer.  If that one sold, then that seller would have listed another refurb for sale immediately.
Yeah but the asking price is/was only $141 and my experience that Keysight don't usually accept anything less than 90% of that, we're talking about $14.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 10:06:38 am »
Well the U1242B finally shipped and is supposed to get to me by 8 pm tomorrow via FedEx ;D

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 10:59:47 am »
Is that complete with all accessories, box & document as like new one ?

If it is, the standard U1242B also came with a calibration certificate too as below example.

Yes, I got two, don't ask.  :palm:

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 11:07:14 am »
The official Keysight ebay store is indeed a good place to get like new gear for quite a bit less money.

Not all of Keysights handheld meters come with full measurement calibration certificates even when new. But the used scope i got from the ebay store came in a original new box and with a fresh calibration certificate, but did not include accessories like probes. It also shipped from Malaysia.

It looks like the ebay store is just a way for Keysight to push out of gear that they can't quite pass off as new, but they try to get as close as they can by fixing up the gear if necessary. Im guessing this is also where the gear that is hauled all over the world to show off on trade shows ends up after a few years.

They also have another ebay store where they flog off other non Keysight brand gear. Im guessing its things they got as part of some tradein promotion or stuff they got long ago to see what there competitors are doing. The last time i looked things there ware not that great of a deal since a lot of it was pretty old stuff that could be gotten for a better price elsewhere.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 12:06:26 pm »
Well the one I bought was described as "used" and the listing said this...

Keysight Used
U1242B

Key Features
Full working condition
Tested
30 days warranty
Options
No Options included

The description said that, if no Cal certificate was shown in the pictures, then it wasn't Cal'd but, like I asked before, what does 'tested' mean? And what do they do if they test a used piece of used gear and it doesn't come in spec? And why would a meter that's being sold new by them be sold as used? In the latter case I could guess open box/return so maybe the meter I get will still be in Cal? I think it's possible to look up Cal certs from the Keysight website by serial number.

I bought a used scope off them a while back and it stated 'calibrated' on the eBay description but they were telling me that it wasn't going to be calibrated but that, if they did calibrate it, it would take longer to ship (like they were trying to discourage me).  I pushed back and it was then calibrated :D even though it took a week longer to arrive.

Who knows, maybe I'll get 3 calibrated ones with all accessories? We'll find out tomorrow  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 06:35:42 pm »
Well it arrived but I only got one :( 

Been testing it out; it's the one on the right but you can see that the U1242B is clearly related to the U1252B. All seems well but there's no clip to hold the U1117A onto the back although, if I hold the U1117A against the back of the U1242B, the Keysight Meter Logger App on my iPhone sees the meter. How is that supposed to work if they don't hold together?

Readings seem ever so slightly low but within 0.07% so I can't really complain.

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 09:12:29 pm »
Excellent, I am glad you got the DMM early. 

I presume you are feeding a 5V reference voltage in your picture, so a 0.04 error is well within spec, very good for a handheld DMM with a 6000 count resolution, it is a great buy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf