Author Topic: Just orderd my first Scope rigol 1052e  (Read 3754 times)

Offline radiogeek97Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Just orderd my first Scope rigol 1052e
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
Well
 call it a near mid life chrisis but since I found Dave's blog, I have rekindled my interest in electronics.  That being said I wanted to pass along some info that some other beginners may find useful.  First off what I decided to buy was a Rogol 1052e  ;D For a beginner like me I think that will give me something decent to learn on. Plus If i decide to "modify" it well that can be done to  ::)
     BY far the best price I have found was from rigol itself!  i went to www.rigolna.com and they had the scope listed for 329$ usd  ;D  it gets better I had some questions so i called the number rigol in OH well the guy told me that I could save an additional 30$ by answering 6 questions before I completed the transaction  AWsome I got the scope for $299 plus $15 s&H to boston.   The other interesting thing was that on rigol's webpage they had a link to dave jone's video where he did the step by step 100mghz hack of the 1052e  WTH   I brought this up to the rep on the phone and he said well that used to be popular when the 100mghz version was like double the price.  So I am thinking IF the manufacturer of the product has this associated with their sales webpage they are tacitly promoting this.  Mabee the new 1052e scopes from rigol can be still hacked???   can anybody confirm or deny thie?   I will post the sales link below any comments or insight welcome.  Hope anybody looking for a 1052e may save a little $ as well

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/?gclid=CKznq_SI87UCFcqd4Aod3joAxg

Offline jwrtiger

• Contributor
Re: Just orderd my first Scope rigol 1052e
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:33 pm »
I think that the newer model of this scope can not be hacked to upgrade it to the 100 MHz bandwidth.  I could be wrong so someone else might hop in with a better answer.  I have the 100 MHz version and have been happy with it except that the fans is a bit loud.   I have another fan so I may modify it.  I bought mine for around $400.00.
John

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »
i heard the same thing however i did go out and get a stright thru series cable just incase the "bug" has not been fixed by rogol  :scared:

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:17 am »
Any particular trick to getting the $30 price discount?

I'm looking to get my first scope, and the low-end Rigols seem to be my best bet. Bench space is very limited for me, and the price is in my current range (have spent a few thousand $ on other equipment for my workshop in the past 6 months, so the wife is losing patience with it). I've been delaying the scope purchase, but a price discount on top of the already low price would be all the incentive I need. Especially if the bandwidth hack still works. But even if it doesn't, I would be happy with just a 50MHz unit for now. My needs are very basic.

Offline Uffe

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:22:57 am »
I bought a 1052e a month ago and it could be downgraded and  changed to 100 MHz bandwidth and then upgraded to version 4 and still working with 100 MHz bandwidth.
I followed the thread on here and it worked.

//Uffe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:47 am »
Mac
     follow the link here :
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/?gclid=CKznq_SI87UCFcqd4Aod3joAxg

after you add the item to your cart hit check out then there is a tab on the right that says recieve addditional discount click that and answer the questions you have to get all 6 for the 30$ but you can take it over and over  >:D after that i believe it automaticily apls the savings. 

Uffe thanks for the heads up I am sure I will be looking more into that down the road. 

Offline daijo

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
Having one stuck in customs going in to Japan now. Hope they wont add to much and I can get it before the weekend :) $299 + just slight of $80 for shipping from Hong Kong. Retail price here in Japan seem to be well above $500. Hope end up below that  :-\ Initial plan was to pick one up from China myself next month but got impatient |O

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:01:41 am »
Thanks radiogeek, that worked.

Wasn't quite planning on getting the scope just yet but figured it won't get any better price or value than $314.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:29:40 am »
me neither my scope is @ THE  local fedex depot now  :D   did you   notice dave's video on the rigol webpage on how to do the 100mghz mod??working a 16hr day now hope to find some time tomrrow to try mine out.  good luck

john

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:09 am »
The method lined out in dave's video doesn't seem to work anymore. There is however a new one or even a few actually. However it seems that some scopes have been bricked in the process. That has nothing directly to do with the hack, just the normal risks of firmware-flashing, but still something to be aware of. Personally i wouldn't and haven't hacked my DS1052E until i have a real need for the extra bandwidth.

Just my 2cnts
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:14 pm »
i am lucky if i know how to use 1/2% of the 1052e's capability yet.  However I am one of those nerds who want to do it just for the sake of learning  ::)  However by the time I am ready to need the bandwith maybee the new " upgrade" will be perfected better.   I have bricked a few mobile radios in my day due to "unofficial upgrades"  However I have always had friends in low places with the know how to walk me back from the brink.     Thanks for all your imput  I will post the firmware and HW versions and all pertinent data on the unit when it arrives from Rigol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf