Author Topic: Crazy used Test gear prices in Australia  (Read 2453 times)

Offline HarbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Crazy used Test gear prices in Australia
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:38:07 am »
Seriously, some of these sellers down here must think we are crazy..........I could fly my family to the states , buy the same thing, fly back and still be in front.......they are totally nuts, and that's exactly why I buy all my stuff overseas.....some of the same items have been on Ebay for years !!!

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
Re: Crazy used Test gear prices in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:37 am »
Yep. I hear you.. and then when something good (and rare) comes up, we all try to out-snipe each other :)

To whomever won the Goodwill curve tracer last night - no hard feelings, you were willing to pay more than I.. Now I just need to build one  :-+

Most of my test gear addiction equipment was purchased from the US and even paying the shipping it was still better and a much larger choice.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:16:35 am »
If you are only doing low voltage Transistors etc, have a look at the little "Peak" job.......it plugs into your computer via USB and does curves.....its a great little unit.

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:38:33 am »
If you are only doing low voltage Transistors etc, have a look at the little "Peak" job.......it plugs into your computer via USB and does curves.....its a great little unit.

Haha.. yes, but where is the fun in that  :-DD

To be honest, I could build a curve tracer using Python, GPIB, my voltage/current calibrator as the step generator, and my HP 66332A dynamic measurement DC source (kind of half a SMU) or another power supply and one of my Keithley meters.

Actually, the HP 66332A was my best score in Australia. got it for a really good price. So there are some deals out there.

I'm mostly a software / micro-controller guy, so the chance to do some analogue design is a welcome learning exercise. And besides, I want to use my analogue 'scopes more  :-/O

Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:24 pm »
Yes they are great supplies, I have a couple of them....one brought here and the other from the UK..... I like the little Peak instruments as they fit in a tool bag/brief case so when I do site visits I can take lots of test gear with me to do an onsite repair......and if I need to I can take broken items to the lab after a fault is confirmed and cant be dealt with there and then........and believe me thats a huge advantage when some of the sites are remote and involve a walk for the last bit, usually up a very steep hill lol.
Its the one thing I enjoy about modern gear......I can have 2 complete sets one very portable and one Lab Grade.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 01:28:31 am »
Yep. I hear you.. and then when something good (and rare) comes up, we all try to out-snipe each other :)

To whomever won the Goodwill curve tracer last night - no hard feelings, you were willing to pay more than I.. Now I just need to build one  :-+

Most of my test gear addiction equipment was purchased from the US and even paying the shipping it was still better and a much larger choice.

I was bidding on Ivans Curve tracer and it ran over my bid  ;)

Most but not all of my test gear has come from Overseas. The best chance of finding affordable locally is with bad descriptions or titles. The Likes of Mr Marshman asking bullshit $ for ancient gear and having it go around for years doesn't help pricing reality in Oz.

My 6632a Agilent came out of Melbourne for under $500 is tip top condition.

Buying ex US is a case of wait for the right item then pay 200+% of the purchase price to get it here and still get it cheaper than local |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:17:28 am »

I was bidding on Ivans Curve tracer and it ran over my bid  ;)

yes, and mine.. :) Oh Well. Building one is now on my "when I get a chance" list..  8)

Most but not all of my test gear has come from Overseas. The best chance of finding affordable locally is with bad descriptions or titles. The Likes of Mr Marshman asking bullshit $ for ancient gear and having it go around for years doesn't help pricing reality in Oz.

My 6632a Agilent came out of Melbourne for under $500 is tip top condition.

Buying ex US is a case of wait for the right item then pay 200+% of the purchase price to get it here and still get it cheaper than local |O

Yes, most of the stuff I bought  was shipped with the eBay Global Shipping, it seemed to be the best value for money, unfortunately that means that I wasn't able to buy some stuff I wanted because the seller was activated for it. I'm read some complains about the system from others, but seemed to work for me at least. Shipping is still a significant part of the purchase though. As you say even taking that into account, it was still cheaper than some local options.

Ash.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:36:10 am »
My fairly recent Valhalla 2703 AC Calibrator Anchor which came from California had an extended road trip of 3000 miles to Kentucky then a few flights back to LA on it's way to me via Hawaii and a stop over in Sydney for $400+

Evilbays Global Shipping farce isn't helping the $$ :horse:

I did however score the Fluke 515A on Thursday from Melbourne for what I consider a bit of a bargain >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:11 am »
My fairly recent Valhalla 2703 AC Calibrator Anchor which came from California had an extended road trip of 3000 miles to Kentucky then a few flights back to LA on it's way to me via Hawaii and a stop over in Sydney for $400+

Evilbays Global Shipping farce isn't helping the $$ :horse:

Weight.. very heavy stuff is very expensive to ship.. sadly. I think the most I've paid on shipping on global shipping was about $200, but I had this factored into the price and it still was worth it. The real problem is we live about as far away from available test gear as we can get  :(

I did however score the Fluke 515A on Thursday from Melbourne for what I consider a bit of a bargain >:D

Ah - that was you :) Congrats. I think it certainly was a bargain. I wasn't willing to go much higher. I already have a DC calibrator so the AC side would have been nice, but  :-// Enjoy it!

Ash.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 05:38:09 am »
I buy all my stuff at Hamfests----you have it it in your hands there & then!
Also, it has to be "dirt cheap", or I can't afford it! ;D

I've given up looking at eBay, as whatever you look for, you are confronted by a million Chinese companies selling something you don't want!

Some US stuff looks cheap, but the seller doesn't want to be bothered with selling outside the "contiguous US states", so quotes packaging & shipping figures like $2790!

There are several Oz companies which buy tons of stuff & ask ridiculous figures on eBay.
Even with reasonable Oz sellers, Interstate shipping is often nearly as much, or in some cases, more than the price for the purchase.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 08:50:21 am »
Not only Australia with those prices...........

One reason to like Ian, AKA Toploser with his sales, even if he goes crazy in having to ship, but overall worked out to a tenth of the local price.

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:55 am »
I buy all my stuff at Hamfests----you have it it in your hands there & then!
Also, it has to be "dirt cheap", or I can't afford it! ;D

I'd love to find local Hamfests - any pointers on where to ask/look? I'm in Brisbane.

Ash.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf