Author Topic: Keithley 2100/Current Style Handle and Rear Case Bumper & Screws wanted!  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

The Keithley 2100 Meter project arrived safely this morning by R.M., but as I feared, both the handle, rear case bumper and it's screws were missing and I don't want to be carrying this quality instrument about in big bags, etc., on public-transport all the time when I want to use it at my friend's!

These meters are supplied complete when brand new and it infuriates me that people remove these handles and finishing parts and don't pass them on with the instrument when they no longer need it!

Since Keithley were taken over by Tek, the "Find - A - Part" service to order online directly has gone which I find equally infuriating!

Is there any UK/European Member:-

a) Who can supply me with the missing handle, rear case-bumper and the fixing screws (I think they be UNC American-type thread so I'll need the original screws) at a reasonable price please? I'm happy to reimburse postage, or, if there's anyone in the UK willing to pass these on not too far away from Birmingham I can collect - again any reasonable price paid on collection, please? OR:-

b) Can advise me if these items are the same part nos across all the modern-style Keithley instruments and advise me of the part nos. so I can send an enquiry to Tek?

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:28:02 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Keithley 2100/Current Style Handle and Rear Case Bumper & Screws wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:53 am »

Since Keithley were taken over by Tek, the "Find - A - Part" service to order online directly has gone which I find equally infuriating!

I can only speak of Germany:
Since the takeover by Tektronix, this service by Keithley in Germany is horrible, to say the least. It is so bad, that because of this I might never buy a new Keithley instrument again.

I also heard from a cal lab, that some Keithley instrument that are being sent to service in Germany, will be forwarded to the US and back to get a service. And parts are no longer sold separately in Germany.

Good luck.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »
The magic search term is "2000-BenchKit".
It is discontinued AFAIK, but still available if you are lucky to find stock.

edit:
That kit won't give you the rear "bumper"/bezel or screws, just the handle and feet. The screws are imperial not metric. Off hand I'd guess 8-32 but I can measure later if you want (from a 2001, not 2100, but should be the same).
If you are patient and lucky you might score a Keithley 7001 scanner mainframe with the needed parts. They often sell for less than $100. But as expected, units with the handle are uncommon. These were probably most commonly rack mounted.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:11:06 pm by macboy »

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:24 pm »
Will a well stocked hardware store in the UK really not have "imperial" sized hardware? I'm surprised. Canada has been "metric" for 4 decades, but metric hardware is still the exception.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:40:22 pm »
I don't think the handle/mounts etc from the other 2000 series Keithley meters will fit will they? The 2100 is not made by Keithley, it is a rebadged meter from Array in China.
VE7FM

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:34 pm »
Quite right you are, TheSteve, I was thinking of the 2010 which is similar to other 2000 series. The 2100 is different.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:36:03 pm »
Hi!

These "Keithley 2000 Benchkits" aren't only getting scarce and expensive, those suppliers who do have stock (in single figures!) are now refusing to ship to the UK as well - I tried three and none of them accepted my order, finally managed to get one on order from Radwell of all places!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:39:11 pm »
Hi!

These "Keithley 2000 Benchkits" aren't only getting scarce and expensive, those suppliers who do have stock (in single figures!) are now refusing to ship to the UK as well - I tried three and none of them accepted my order, finally managed to get one on order from Radwell of all places!

Chris Williams

I don't think it will work for your meter, see posts above.
VE7FM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:26:56 pm »
Hi!

I don't think it will work for your meter, see posts above.

Having studied the available pictures and documentation of the "Keithley 2000 Benchtop Restore Kit" this does appears to be the case!

I have emailed Radwell and politely requested if they could cancel the "Benchtop Restore Kit" order and make enquiries into obtaining the parts from Tek for me, and await their response!

As an alternative, does anyone know if there are other "badge - engineered" versions of the Keithley 21oo/Array M3500a in exsistence, or any cheaper instruments which compatible case-works I can scavenge?

For what I paid for the 2100 I'd be happy to spend another £100-£200 for the missing handle and rear panel - if I could find them!

I did make further enquiries of the original eBay Seller and he knew nothing about the missing bits, but it came from SOMEWHERE that's removed them!

Chris Williams

PS!

I'll post pics later! If the worst comes to the worst are there any other options for reassembling the parts into a different case to make some sort of finished looking instrument? I can't take it to my friend's as it is!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:00:22 pm by Chris56000 »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 03:52:19 am »
I don't think the handle/mounts etc from the other 2000 series Keithley meters will fit will they? The 2100 is not made by Keithley, it is a rebadged meter from Array in China.

Will a well stocked hardware store in the UK really not have "imperial" sized hardware? I'm surprised. Canada has been "metric" for 4 decades, but metric hardware is still the exception.

I would guess that the 2100, being a rebadge of a Chinese product, uses metric screws. It should be possible to cobble something together.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf