Author Topic: Recommendation on budget IR thermometer used also for cooking?  (Read 494 times)

Offline nightfireTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Recommendation on budget IR thermometer used also for cooking?
« on: February 19, 2022, 02:08:43 am »
To broaden my tools collection I would like to buy a IR thermometer, that should do the following stuff/will be used for these tasks:

- monitor temperature of Lithium batteries during charge/stress discharge on electronic load
- troubleshooting of PCB when possible parts are overheating
- cooking: As I do experiment with some things it is nice to really know how hot a pan or its content are actually- background: the magic temperature is around 140 deg. C, where the "Maillard reaction" really takes off, and where stuff actually gets a brown crust- when veggies get rid of lots of water, then basically you boil them in a pan which will not give great flavour...
(And preferrably to stay clear of 180 deg C, where other nasty stuff comes out of hiding)

And because I want to easily begin with this, I would like to buy some budget device, that is not utter crap, but may have some shortcomings. And if I really would need some better stuff, I will know exactly what and why I would need it when looking for some equipment from Fluke, FLIR oder Testo...
This means I wold rather shell out money in the 50 €€€ region initially- and some adjustable emissivity would be nice, because I would like to measure the temp of some pans (stainless steel, got rid of all non-stick-Teflon stuff long ago) which will mean they will have some metal reflection.

Are there any recommendations of some stuff that will fit into this category or maybe some more expensive stuff that maybe will be available on ebay for some decent price, like the Fluke 62 Max?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf