Author Topic: Keysight 3000T scope 1 GHz(or more) hardware upgrade mod  (Read 35026 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Re: Keysight 3000T scope 1 GHz(or more) hardware upgrade mod
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2022, 03:50:59 pm »
The 500 MHz mod for the T series should be roughly the same as the A series however I don't think anyone has ever actually done it to verify 100% the exact components that need to be changed.

I haven't seen it done either and agree that it would be roughly the same. There's not a lot of difference in signal paths between the A/T/G versions.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, maxwell3e10

Online TheSteveTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2022, 04:22:57 pm »
The 500 MHz mod for the T series should be roughly the same as the A series however I don't think anyone has ever actually done it to verify 100% the exact components that need to be changed.

I haven't seen it done either and agree that it would be roughly the same. There's not a lot of difference in signal paths between the A/T/G versions.

The 1.5 GHz mod is more fun, wouldn't you agree?  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
VE7FM

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2022, 07:18:14 am »
Agreed. I'm impressed that people are willing to hardware mod such an expensive high end scope.

After Steve lead the way, for others should be child's play (except me, of course... :) ).
I did the 500MHz mod on a 3104T. Working perfectly. Before calibration, the bandwith was about 750Mhz, which gets "corrected" in calibration.

I did not even know that it was for the A model. Everything seems to be identical.

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055, maxwell3e10

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2022, 05:38:57 pm »

The 1.5 GHz mod is more fun, wouldn't you agree?  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
To summarize the basic difference if  I understand it correctly: upgrading up to 500 MHz requires changing a few L, C and R per channel. The most difficult part is unsoldering the RF shields. To upgrade to 1 GHz requires changing relays and other multi-terminal components which are trickier to desolder.

Online TheSteveTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2022, 07:06:52 pm »
Pretty much, the 1 GHz mod is a much more extensive upgrade - and it costs a lot more because of the Teledyne attenuator relays.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: maxwell3e10

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2022, 03:33:04 am »
Pretty much, the 1 GHz mod is a much more extensive upgrade - and it costs a lot more because of the Teledyne attenuator relays.
It's good to know the price difference between 500M and 1GHz versions is not just pure mark-up  :)

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2022, 09:53:13 pm »
It's good to know the price difference between 500M and 1GHz versions is not just pure mark-up  :)

Not pure ... let's just leave it at that.  The R&D for a company the size of Keysight to develop a 1GHz scope is probably significant.  It was done a long time ago though, just like the Megazoom IV.

I had all parts on hand for the 1GHz mod and decided to try the 500MHz first, which was simple.  I've gotten used to 0402 and 0201 parts though so the component swaps were for BIG components.  I thought I had marked photos of the 3000T to follow.  Matter of fact, it was the 3000T because it was a 3014T but had footprints for the Teledyne relays.  3000A did not.

There are around 132 or so components for the 1GHz mod.  I would have done it but finally, a pristine 3104T appeared and with option bundle to boot.  Someone on here grabbed the parts just to get the 4 relays in the set.

The following users thanked this post: maxwell3e10

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf