Author Topic: Keysight New instruments  (Read 34870 times)

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
Re: Keysight New instruments
« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:58 pm »
I believe Keysight did a special-edition skinned 3000 series scope for Dave.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:08:47 pm by iainwhite »

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2021, 03:19:12 pm »
Speaking of which, where do people go to get one-off front panel stickers printed? I have been using inkjet-on-nice-paper, laminating with one-side-sticky vinyl transfer sheets, and cutting on a vinyl cutter -- but the consumer vinyl cutters (mine is a Silhouette Cameo) have abysmal dimensional accuracy so I wind up doing a dozen runs before I get a cut that the buttons actually fit through  :palm:

Clearly whoever made the special edition sticker has this figured out.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2021, 05:44:06 pm »
Speaking of which, where do people go to get one-off front panel stickers printed? I have been using inkjet-on-nice-paper, laminating with one-side-sticky vinyl transfer sheets, and cutting on a vinyl cutter -- but the consumer vinyl cutters (mine is a Silhouette Cameo) have abysmal dimensional accuracy so I wind up doing a dozen runs before I get a cut that the buttons actually fit through  :palm:

Clearly whoever made the special edition sticker has this figured out.

Is the Cameo good enough to cut the letters/lines straight out of black vinyl?  -  I think my old KNK Zing might just be able to do that, as long as you are not using  font size 3 or something...   I.e. the relative accuracy inside the graphic is quite good, but it is hard to aim on a printed sheet (even though the KNK has a laser for that).

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2021, 06:51:01 pm »
Yes, the cameo does a surprisingly good job even if you are cutting letters and the narrowest part is <1mm. What it doesn't do very well is hold dimensional accuracy as it rolls the workpiece in and out. If you are cutting a front panel, you'll find that the holes for the bottom buttons are out of registration by a whole mm. It can be painstakingly made to work by bracing the substrate so that it rolls straight, measuring with calipers and calibrating out the offset du jour, and running enough repeats until one behaves well enough -- but that's a right pain the butt. Does KNK Zing do a decent job with dimensional accuracy -- say, 0.1mm over 100mm, or thereabouts?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2021, 07:59:11 pm »
Yes, the cameo does a surprisingly good job even if you are cutting letters and the narrowest part is <1mm. What it doesn't do very well is hold dimensional accuracy as it rolls the workpiece in and out. If you are cutting a front panel, you'll find that the holes for the bottom buttons are out of registration by a whole mm. It can be painstakingly made to work by bracing the substrate so that it rolls straight, measuring with calipers and calibrating out the offset du jour, and running enough repeats until one behaves well enough -- but that's a right pain the butt. Does KNK Zing do a decent job with dimensional accuracy -- say, 0.1mm over 100mm, or thereabouts?

I haven't actually measured it, but I've never noticed a problem with the accuracy of the KNK feed - it clamps the workpiece (i.e. the plastic "board" that the work is stuck to) really hard with knurled rollers.  I have made some quite big things with it (e.g. 24" long) and didn't see signs of twisting or turning.  Not sure if it will hit 0.1% but the next time I take it out for a spin, I'll try to take some measurements...

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2021, 09:11:09 pm »
So I just had an idea, what if someone were to manufacture new cases for oscilloscopes, kind of like designer-style housings.  Would engineers buy that sort of thing, where they'd pull the guts out of one and put it into the new case?  Or would it risk the stability of the oscilloscope to put it in a new housing?

The only way I could see such offerings as being successful is if the new cases offered additional functionality.   For example a new case that slotted the O'scope chassis next to a 0-6 VDC power supply.   Or maybe a case that offered a significant (+8 hours) battery powered option.   I can't see much interest in swapping a case just for the laughs.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2021, 04:03:13 am »
I haven't actually measured it, but I've never noticed a problem with the accuracy of the KNK feed - it clamps the workpiece (i.e. the plastic "board" that the work is stuck to) really hard with knurled rollers.  I have made some quite big things with it (e.g. 24" long) and didn't see signs of twisting or turning.  Not sure if it will hit 0.1% but the next time I take it out for a spin, I'll try to take some measurements...
The Silhouette Cameo also feels like it has a solid clamp, but I think the error gets in when small angular deviations at the extremes of travel get amplified as it goes back and forth. Adding guides to force straight sliding seems to fix the problem, it's just extremely cumbersome. In any case, I'd appreciate those measurements next time you do a print.

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2021, 06:50:54 am »
Does anyone know which is the actual specification for the physical size of the signal generator? this link https://www.keysight.com/zz/en/assets/3121-1004/data-sheets/EDU33210-Series-20-MHz-Function-Arbitrary-Waveform-Generators.pdf says it's 314 W x 130 H x 165 D (in mm) but this link http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/EDU33212-90002.pdf says 313.6 W x 164.7 H x 124.58 D Which one is correct? from the looks of it, the second one is the corerct one and the first one swapped their H and D measurements? I'd like to be sure which one it is, since if it is the second one, i'll have to move up one of my monitors to make it fit under there, and i'd like to do that in advance, but wouldn't like to do that and end up not having needed to! maybe Daniel could help clear things up? (it does make more sense it's is 165mm tall, but i want to be extra sure) Thank you!

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2023, 09:40:19 am »
These aren't so new now - so hopefully there is some user experience to draw on.

I wonder if any of the EDU33212A users on EEVBlog are using this AWG with their own arbitrary waveforms - in the video the demonstrator has the AWG attached to the laptop but it is not in remote. When I connect it to my computer I can't get out of remote to upload an external file, as shown?

Any users out there?

https://learn.keysight.com/arbitrary-waveform-generator-awg-basics-and-beyond-for-usb4-compliance-testing/lesson-6-lab-software-create-waveform-without-programming?fbclid=IwAR1Gmfn6e67PERHnJ6KZLcTY9a784WwDrzqm0Mwcff05aKOFVEl4oOrtm6c

[edit. mystery solved? he does actually say the he exported the ms excel file onto a flash drive - though the video (at the point you might expect) doesn't show one being connected - but it has appeared by the end of the video - LOL]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 07:14:36 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2023, 10:34:08 am »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf