Author Topic: Keysight New instruments  (Read 34854 times)

Offline msutharTopic starter

• Contributor
Keysight New instruments
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:59:57 pm »

At this link some new instruments shown from Keysight  https://www.keysightbenchchallenge.com/

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline balage

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keysight New instruments
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 09:50:52 pm »
For me it seems these are budget instrument aiming the educational market.

The DMM look ugly for me. I prefer the conventional bench DMM.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:07:05 pm »
Budget perhaps, but its bringing down some of the nice technology to cheaper price points.

Care of Mouser putting up some SKUs:

EDU33210 Series
EDU33212A Waveform generator, 20 MHz, 2-channel
Should be interesting to see whats "left out" from the 335xx series, the non-rackmount form factor would already be a turn off for some uses.

EDU36311A 6 V, 5 A and 2 x 30 V, 1 A, 90 W: LAN, USB

Not sure on the multimeter EDU344??A

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:57:33 pm »
DC power supply, oscilloscope, function generator, and digital multimeter. A prize valued at $2,500.
So that's about 700 dollars per instrument.
I like the DMM, probably cheaper than the 34460A.
The scope looks like a generic 1000 series scope.
The function generator: It is damn time they come up with something new, their lineup is outdated and overpriced.
DC power supply: Looks nice, has USB probably ethernet, 3 outputs. Where is the ground?

Honestly, they should sell these in a discounted package deals, throw in some extra bandwidth with the scope and they would get a ton of orders. Nowadays everyone I know seems to work partially from home, and having basic instruments at home is not given.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 12:04:21 am »

DC power supply: Looks nice, has USB probably ethernet, 3 outputs. Where is the ground?

It is to the left of the outputs - colored green as expected.

I like the big screens but wow do they suck up bench space, they don't seem practical at all to me other than the scope.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: tszaboo

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:15:01 am »

It is to the left of the outputs - colored green as expected.

I like the big screens but wow do they suck up bench space, they don't seem practical at all to me other than the scope.
Same here. The DMM is grossly oversized and except for the PSU the cases aren't really stackable. The function generator is a grey area. I have a similar sized waveform generator. This big screen is great for operating it (including more complicated operations like waveform editing) but being un-stackable is definitely a down side. If the big screen on the Keysight generator is a touchscreen and it has some decent arbitrary waveform editing /  managing abilities then the large size can be useful.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:21:01 am »
One hundred years ago Henry Ford said you could have his products in any color you liked as long as it was black.
My, how little some things have changed.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 04:53:23 am »
Well,  at least the plastic will not yellow with time  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 05:23:06 am »

Smoking in lab room or where ever are test instruments is highly forbidden. And main reason is not this cosmetics. Even in these old time years when I smoke I did not do it any single time in any kind of lab room or room where is test and measurements instruments. Never.

Of course there is also some other reasons specially in some plastics they mysteriously go bit yellowish, even if they are isolated inside cleaned air cabin. Why it happen, I do not know.

Black T&M instruments can not enter in my house. If they try, I have heavy hammer. For blue leds I have small hammer.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 06:22:25 am »
Yellowing if it happens is far less important than plastic embrittlement with age. Even if black unless UV stabilisers have been added degradation can still occur.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jmw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:50:27 am »
Four instruments for that contest, and four boxes delivered to Dave's office ... hmm.  :popcorn:

https://twitter.com/eevblog/status/1363633105488080898

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 01:17:49 am »
Looks like cost cutting by using common casing/molds between the meter, scope and sig-gen perhaps, even the front face of the power supply...

Budget range?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 01:38:52 am »
Looks like cost cutting by using common casing/molds between the meter, scope and sig-gen perhaps, even the front face of the power supply...

Budget range?

It is probably just "design"?  - make the instruments look part of a family, make customers want to collect them all...   :D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 01:48:17 am »
Matching underwear. Every test gear collectors dream.

Interested in the DMM if it’s 6.5 digits or better and has data capture stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 03:51:14 am »
Interested in the DMM if it’s 6.5 digits or better and has data capture stuff.

Above photo shows only 5.5 digits on the display.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:54:30 am by JDubU »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 04:15:33 am »
Four instruments for that contest, and four boxes delivered to Dave's office ... hmm.  :popcorn:
https://twitter.com/eevblog/status/1363633105488080898

Well I guess the cat's out of the bag.
Just set them up on my bench.
The PSU looks nice, has a nice sparkly powder coated case and a top carry strap - old school.  :-+
The scope is nothing new.
The new FG reminds me of the Rigol FG, but still not the best form factor, I never likes the Rigol one for that.
The meter is, well, not at all suited to normal lab use in terms of form factor obviosuly. I get that it's aimed at education where you might have one of these siting on it's own on a student desk, but otherwise  :--
With the probes just sitting on the bench in DCV mode it just sits there annoyingly autoraning continuously, presumably picking up the 50Hz, that would drive me absoutely nuts.
Both the PSU and FG have an annoying dimming screen saver mode by default.
Yes you can stack them that like for photos, but you can't use them like that, just the usual tilting feet. Although any one of them does work on top of the PSU ok-ish.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:30:52 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid, Kean, bd139, jmw

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 04:27:58 am »

I doubt it, you'd need new molds anyway for the different cutouts. I think it's a marketing thing.
Yes, it's a new budget range.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 04:33:46 am »
With the probes just sitting on the bench in DCV mode it just sits there annoyingly autoraning continuously, presumably picking up the 50Hz, that would drive me absoutely nuts.

Does it have a high-impedance input by default?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 05:36:39 am »
Does it have a high-impedance input by default?

Nope, 10M.
On High-Z it does the usual charge up/down thing but does also annoying autorange but with bonus relay switching!
Just shot a quick video on that, but not sure if Keysight would want me releasing that yet.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 05:45:22 am »
Nope, 10M.
On High-Z it does the usual charge up/down thing but does also annoying autorange but with bonus relay switching!
Just shot a quick video on that, but not sure if Keysight would want me releasing that yet.

Perhaps they are trying to emulate the Fluke 8846A...
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:53:24 am »
:blah:
Oh c'mon Dave, when have you ever given a rats arse about what a manufacture might think of your videos.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 06:22:11 am »
Guess he means the models may have not been officially announced yet.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 06:47:23 am »
Oh c'mon Dave, when have you ever given a rats arse about what a manufacture might think of your videos.

Giving a rats arse or not he is still likely under an embargo date that he had to agree to in order to get his hands on these unreleased units. Typical marketing to work up to a big grand release date where the marketing push happens and the reviews from people like Dave go up.

Not really to exited about it personally but i really like the look of that PSU...even if i don't need yet another PSU.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 07:09:18 am »

I don't care what they think of what I say in a video, but it's not released yet, and it would kinda be a dick move to release a detailed video showing an unreleased device when they sent it to me in good faith with a public release date. You are a dealer and get pre-release products, do you release info early?

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Kean, bd139, Sighound36, bsodmike

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:52 am »

I don't care what they think of what I say in a video, but it's not released yet, and it would kinda be a dick move to release a detailed video showing an unreleased device when they sent it to me in good faith with a public release date. You are a dealer and get pre-release products,
Rarely only for beta testing when we are bound by an NDA.
do you release info early?
Of course, do you not read the forum ?  :-//
When info is on websites irrespective of language it's in the public domain and hence fair game.

Anyways, no need to play the virtuous here Dave as you have been sent pre-release products to review.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf