Author Topic: Portable 'scope  (Read 6906 times)

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Portable 'scope
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 11:16:01 pm »
For isolated, Hantek has the DS1000S series.
Oh nice. That is a really good price for an isolated scope. If it works okay and there isn't too much Hantek weirdness then its a no brainer decision to go for that over an expensive Micsig.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 01:10:13 am »
For isolated, Hantek has the DS1000S series.
Oh nice. That is a really good price for an isolated scope. If it works okay and there isn't too much Hantek weirdness then its a no brainer decision to go for that over an expensive Micsig.
In case you weren't aware Siglent do a couple of models too but they're not too cheap:  :(
https://www.siglenteu.com/handheld-oscilloscopes/shs1000-series-isolated-handheld-digital-oscilloscopes/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 07:53:25 am »
Scopes with isolated inputs are not mainstream. They come with a high price and low user base (although, aforementioned hantek looks to be nicely priced, but that's an exception). I wouldn't expect them to be as feature-rich and polished as more popular gear.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 09:39:05 am »
I was not going to comment to not piss off Tek fanboys, but yes. This scope is a piece of junk. It is really not worth the ewaste disposal fee.

Even if practical value of TDS220 scope today is close to nothing (for some), we shall give it some respect. 22 (!) years ago it defined how DSO's looks and feels today. For < 100$ I better take this "ancient piece of junk" rather than "prehistoric analog boat anchors" sometimes advised here in this forum.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:41:46 am by ogden »

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 06:33:39 am »
I was not going to comment to not piss off Tek fanboys, but yes. This scope is a piece of junk. It is really not worth the ewaste disposal fee.

Even if practical value of TDS220 scope today is close to nothing (for some), we shall give it some respect. 22 (!) years ago it defined how DSO's looks and feels today. For < 100$ I better take this "ancient piece of junk" rather than "prehistoric analog boat anchors" sometimes advised here in this forum.

I would far rather have a fast analog 'scope over an early DSO.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:48 am »

That depends on whether you need a lot of bandwidth, or the ability to capture single shot events. When it comes to older gear, there are things either one can do that the other can't.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:02 am »

That depends on whether you need a lot of bandwidth, or the ability to capture single shot events. When it comes to older gear, there are things either one can do that the other can't.

Obviously we shall compare apples to apples, 100MHz BW scopes. BTW speaking of early DSO (TDS1012):

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 01:45:37 am »
Well he said "fast analog" which implies something somewhat exotic, perhaps >150MHz vs "early DSO" which might be 100MHz bandwidth at a relatively low sample rate. In that era there were things that one could do that the other couldn't. These days it's largely moot, I still use my analog CRO any time I need XY mode because the XY mode on my 1GHz DSO is hopeless. For just about everything else though the DSO wins hands down, but even just 20 years ago a DSO like this would have been FAR out of my price range.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 03:22:33 am »
Well he said "fast analog" which implies something somewhat exotic, perhaps >150MHz vs "early DSO" which might be 100MHz bandwidth at a relatively low sample rate.

Well, Mr.Obvious... faster scope obviously is "kind of better" than slower scope. This is why I said about comparing strawberries to strawberries.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 03:46:49 am »
Well, he does have a good point about features. If you need to be able to do single shot captures, decode digital protocols, and all that sort of thing, all the analog bandwidth in the world won't help. My scope is a Tek 2465B. I love it! The instruments from the good old days before on screen menus polluted everything are way more user friendly IMO. But, I do admit that the features of a DSO are nice to have and I plan to add one to my collection.

My original point stands though...if given a choice between a high bandwidth analog scope and a first generation DSO...I'll take the former every time.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 03:52:18 am »
Well, he does have a good point about features. If you need to be able to do single shot captures, decode digital protocols, and all that sort of thing, all the analog bandwidth in the world won't help. My scope is a Tek 2465B. I love it! The instruments from the good old days before on screen menus polluted everything are way more user friendly IMO. But, I do admit that the features of a DSO are nice to have and I plan to add one to my collection.

My original point stands though...if given a choice between a high bandwidth analog scope and a first generation DSO...I'll take the former every time.

Even if you needed to capture single shot events or decode digital protocols?

That was my point, the choice used to depend on what you needed to do. If you need the features offered by a DSO then you need a DSO, analog bandwidth is no substitute. If however you have a task that needs high bandwidth, the fancy abilities of a DSO are no substitute for adequate bandwidth.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 03:57:57 am »
Nah, if I needed to do that, I'd prefer to just save some $$ and get a modern one.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 04:04:05 am »
Ok well that's beside the point. If one has the budget to buy a modern scope then the DSO will win every time outside of some edge cases like XY mode. For those with lower budgets and/or specific needs that is not always an option.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2019, 04:35:35 am »
At least something not from the first generation. I suspect you could find something more modern but not bleeding edge for less.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf