Author Topic: Blow oscilloscope measuring coil Back EMF  (Read 3297 times)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Blow oscilloscope measuring coil Back EMF
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2023, 11:40:09 pm »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline ptluisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2023, 08:48:18 pm »

This was the power supply I had before, and there were situations where the display blank, the ps freezes, and some reboots happened.  I no longer own the PS, otherwise I would make a video and show you guys.  But I was lucky and the PS never burned out.  The power supply is very good but I'm sorry to say it is also not back EMF proof.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2023, 09:12:01 pm »
I always use a flyback diode, but what I'm trying to capture is how high this EMF reach without any kind of protection on the coil.
To what end ?
You're dealing with switched magnetics so back EMF will always be present and its level is always relative to the impedance of the return/discharge path.
Place appropriate snubbers across it and move on with the rest of your design, whatever that may be.

I learn a new English word today "snubbers"  :-+
Now with more knowledge that you're working with solenoids.....

Some years back when designing circuitry to momentarily switch a 24V 10A solenoid with gear I had on hand.....a whopping big free IGBT module and back EMF protection was required for its protection.
It was for wireless remote release of solenoid controlled mechanical throwing arm of a claybird trap machine. 

After consultation with my EE mentor at the time, a reversed biased large diode and large Zener in series were used for back EMF snubbing.
IIRC a 5A diode and 10W zener, maybe 12V I don't remember sorry.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 09:23:47 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ptluis

Offline ptluisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2023, 12:24:44 pm »
I always use a flyback diode, but what I'm trying to capture is how high this EMF reach without any kind of protection on the coil.
To what end ?
You're dealing with switched magnetics so back EMF will always be present and its level is always relative to the impedance of the return/discharge path.
Place appropriate snubbers across it and move on with the rest of your design, whatever that may be.

I learn a new English word today "snubbers"  :-+
Now with more knowledge that you're working with solenoids.....

Some years back when designing circuitry to momentarily switch a 24V 10A solenoid with gear I had on hand.....a whopping big free IGBT module and back EMF protection was required for its protection.
It was for wireless remote release of solenoid controlled mechanical throwing arm of a claybird trap machine. 

After consultation with my EE mentor at the time, a reversed biased large diode and large Zener in series were used for back EMF snubbing.
IIRC a 5A diode and 10W zener, maybe 12V I don't remember sorry.

The IGBT and zener approach it's interesting, I need to do some testing. I've been collecting all sorts of information about the subject and making few testing because time is short, but i think I'll figure out the best solution. Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf