Author Topic: Low Priced Rigol MSO1074Z-s at Arrow  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Low Priced Rigol MSO1074Z-s at Arrow
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 04:35:03 pm »
Thank you so much @Fungus and @Howardlong for your very detailed analysis, I learned a lot with your answers. Thank you.

I was not considering to pay +$400 for an "upgrade" because I already have a DS1054Z + FY-6900 + Saleae; I can't find a reason to "see in real-time" because the logic analyzer can store several seconds of real-data to be analyzed (microcontrollers have a lot of repetition/loopings).

I also can see digital signals in the DS1054Z and even decode those signals. The most used serial protocols (RS232, SPI, I2C) use 1, 2 or maybe 4 channels and around 10MHz, the scope will show and decode them in real-time.

About the "analog and digital signals time correlation", as far I know, I can use the Trigger Output to synchronization.  And some logical analyzers (like Saleae) can also show Analog Signals with enough quality to see if the expected signal is there.

I guess it depends on your use case and how much effort you want to spend on figuring out ways around things when you could be using that effort to build stuff. I didn't have an MSO until 2014, and I did similar things to yourself: back then (decent) MSOs were still expensive items.

The real time aspect comes from the use of triggers to analyse rather than post processing searches. Both have their place, and there is indeed overlap in the use case, however I've been brought up to use triggers so I'm far more likely to go that route. It's only recently we've had the benefit of these super long memories. As I alluded to earlier, the bandwidth of the Saleae I find to be quite a limiting aspect.

I find PC based solutions are generally sub optimal when compared to a purpose built appliance, with knobs and whatnot. My main exception is that I do use the Analog Discovery frequently, because despite its limitations (bandwidth and memory), it's super portable and its UI is significantly better than most other USB instruments I'm aware of.

You can indeed use the trigger out to synchronise, but that's only one way as I understand it, and there'll be a delay, although bearing in mind the low bandwidth of the Saleae, it's probably not that noticeable!

All I can say is that once I'd used a decent MSO, my LA (in those days an Intronix Logicport) rarely came out of the drawer.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 06:08:32 pm »
If this beat is really unlockable with just a bit of command line fiddling then it should be in the "Test Equipment 'Scores'!" thread.  :-+

Just the digital probes normally sell for about $300.

Offline jiarui

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 04:36:02 am »
Following the instructions of PeDre and TopLoser (especially the posted copy of the Rigup for Windows), I was able to unlock all of the options.  It took me a while. The downloading of the firmware took a while (close to 10 minutes), with fair amount of error messages.

I also replaced the fan with a quieter fan.  Everything is working well.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 09:19:38 am »
Following the instructions of PeDre and TopLoser (especially the posted copy of the Rigup for Windows), I was able to unlock all of the options.

Good to know!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf