Author Topic: Knight KG-695 Manual or Schematic Please?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline W3KWTopic starter

• Contributor
Knight KG-695 Manual or Schematic Please?
« on: February 08, 2023, 01:50:59 pm »
I bought a Knight KG-695 SS analog multimeter on EBay. It's in great shape and very interesting. Mainly, it doesn't work. I don't want to spend tons of time on it without a manual or schematic but all my usually sources ended in failure. It's even hard to find a photo of the thing on the internet. A search on EEV turned up nill.

Anyone ever own one? Anyone know of a source for the manual?

It is both AC and internal DC powered and quite a bit larger than the KG-625.

Wes
W3KW

• Contributor
Re: Knight KG-695 Manual or Schematic Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 01:28:36 pm »
Still looking. Anyone? They must not have made many of these?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 03:41:33 pm »
It appears to have been out in the last year of Knight-kits, and was expensive $79.95 ($600 today) when a scope was $139.95 ($1,044 today). So a rare bird I think. Battery powered though, take that old VTVM!
I found ad in the 1971 "Allied Radio Shack" catalogue and a SMPTE tech paper 1970 mentioned using it but not in 1970 catalogues when I looked.
"Allied Radio Shack" for 3 years then it looks like Tandy bought them in 1972. I wonder if Radio shack killed them (Knight-kits) off?

Look at KG-694, or VOM Model 249-K or VTVM KG-625 (1965-)  as similar designs? I imagine they swapped out the tubes for transistors.
Your electrolytic capacitors and the FET's are likely dead due to old age. If you post clear pics, their (semi) part numbers it should not be hard to figure out.
I'd start with checking the power supply.

Offline DaleH

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 06:11:09 pm »
Ever find a manual for it?  I have been hunting for the same... have found nothing.  DIfference in mine is yours has BNC out front - mine has older style connector with a separate ground wire coming out just below it. I'm going to machine a couple of caps that are missing for the two knobs, as I can't find anything close to them online as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 01:12:20 am »
Nope. No luck with a manual. I did notice, when watching Buddy at the Radio Shop on Patreon, that he has a -695 on the bench. He said he found a manual online somewhere and would send me a link. I’ve searched very thoroughly to no avail. If Buddy comes back with anything, I’ll revisit the post.

Wes

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 03:33:00 am »
Aliens left this meter on the planet to dupe me into finding the manual. NUTS!

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 05:02:23 pm »
Bite the bullet  8)  takes loads of pics and draw the schematic. Other models will be close.
Hardest part is the rotary switches...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 02:42:33 am by coromonadalix »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:10:38 am by coromonadalix »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 03:44:30 pm »
Do we have any Knight-kit solid-state multimeter schematics or manuals out there?  I don't recall ever seeing one.
Otherwise, using pictures of the internals- a schematic can be drawn up. I do it all the time instead of a crossword puzzle.

Knight also offered 24-month financing for their kits with money back guarantee. I guess they must have been a huge investment back in the day. Have to see what 1970's wages were like.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf