Author Topic: Fluke 83 no beep (sound)  (Read 2308 times)

Offline txutxyTopic starter

Fluke 83 no beep (sound)
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:52:39 pm »
Hello! First of all, congratulations on this great forum, it is very helpful.
I am an engineer in Spain, I am very happy with my Fluke 83, it works like the first day, everything except the sound. Now it does not make any sound (beep, continuity, over voltage, etc).
I have opened the fluke, but I do not know which integrated is in charge of sending a frequency for the sound, since I do not see a buzzer either.
If someone can guide me, it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance, greetings!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 83 no beep (sound)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:15:10 pm »
I would check the dial contacts, clean them,  i have 2x 83 at my job   they do funny things until i clean the contacts, i use them a lot i mean a lot, they are almost worn out

The beep is not working, or the beep engage in other functions etc ... sometime the display is stuck   etc ...

Before doing something check the dial, bad solders, bad contacts, good batteries, and the battery clip sometime does funny thing too, changed them twice in each meter already ...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:01 pm »
I have opened the fluke, but I do not know which integrated is in charge of sending a frequency for the sound, since I do not see a buzzer either.
The service manual for the Fluke 80 series I is online.  It has schematics and everything.  Page 2-9 describes what components are used and how it works.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/fluke/87/

Your piezo buzzer is on the back of the case. Check/clean the contacts.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:49:11 pm »
Thank you very much for your advice! One question, can someone tell me where the red and black wires of the electric piezo buzzer are soldered? Because my partner skinned them a month ago to try to fix it, and he no longer remembers where soldiers are going! :(. I've been looking at the schematics in the manual, but it's not clear to me if the buzzer is LS1.
Thank you very much again!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:22:29 pm »
LS1 is the loudspeaker or pizeo buzzer.

There are no wires going to LS1.  Here is a picture from mrmodemhead.com.

The bottom of the case houses the buzzer.  Circled in red are 2 black contact spots.  Make sure both are clean using IPA.

Circled in blue is a transparent white plastic strip.

The back side of the PCB has 2 solder points that make contact with two black contact spots.  Make sure both of those 2 solder points are cleaned with IPA.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:06 am »
OKAY! perfect! My partner was confusing me, because he put the cables to look for other points on the board where the beep sounded. I have cleaned the contacts and tinned them, but it still did not sound ... I have replaced U6 (hex inverter) and it works! All perfect! Many, many thanks to all!!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:08:43 am »
Glad you got it working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf