Author Topic: What is a good PSU and Multimeter for work?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What is a good PSU and Multimeter for work?
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:24 pm »
Hi all!

Long story short I need to get a new Multimeter and PSU for work!
The meter that I had was a Fluke 87 and the PSU was some older HP dual channel Power supply, both worked fine but the time has come to get new gear!
I work with low current applications mostly in the few hundred µA to a few mA very rarely >30mA so a good µA range would be nice.

I have no idea what type of gear to get because at previous places (school or other jobs) I’ve already had the gear when I started and never needed to replace it.

I was thinking of getting a bench multimeter since all of the work I do is at my desk and I have never had to bring a multimeter any ware (work related)

I have no idea what kind of power supply to get, at home I have an old Oltronix PSU from the 90's and its working fine. As long as it has 2 channels it is good, I would however appreciate more features than just CV/CC.

I’m not locked to any brand; I’m just looking for gear that will last several years

Cost is no problem as long as it is you can motivate it. Of course the finance department would prefer cheaper gear but I don’t want it to compromise the quality. I don’t need some super spiffy gear since I only work with low voltage and low current that doesn’t demand crazy accuracy.

Criteria for the gear

Multimeter:
5 digits or better
True RMS
CATII (Highest voltage I work on is 24V so I don’t need any high voltage meters)
Over all good Resistance and capacitance measuring
Don’t really need any frequency measurement because I use my scope for it.
Good screen
High quality that will last

Bonus features
PC readout/storage/logging
Not flimsy plastic

Power supply:
2 or more channels
Able to reach ~40V
Reasonable accuracy
Good screen
High quality that will last

Bonus features
Fixed outputs for common voltages like 1.8V; 3.3V; 5.0V
Not flimsy plastic

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What is a good PSU and Multimeter for work?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »
The meter part is easy, I know that you say that you don't need it for high energy so something not so highly specified would suffice, but honestly for the money and accuracy, versatility, robustness, and 5.5 digits on low volts DC, look at the Brymen BM867, it can be got for £129 and should it ever be needed for occasional use on high energy circuits, is rated CAT IV @1,000V. It is big and chunky so has the stay put aspects of a bench meter but with the portability if needed and has a good protection against dust and liquid damage. 

Edit. It can also have a pc/android interface for data logging etc if required.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:24:07 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:28 pm »
I'd take a serious look at the new Keysight E363xx series. These have a low current measurement range so you don't need a multimeter for that (this feature kind of pushed me to go for an E363xx series). Another much cheaper option is the GW Instek GPE-4323.
A bench multimeter is a good choice because you can stack it on top of the PSU and you never need to change batteries. Lots of choices here. I'd start looking at Keysight, Keithley or maybe GW Instek. A nice feature of modern bench meters is the ability to make trend charts. BTW the E363xx power supplies can also do data logging.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:17:42 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:51:44 pm »
+ Brymen

with the power supply are much troubles, the most PSU produce some noise, secondly very often a capacitors on output that has enough energy to blow you circuit , and then a current limiter woke up.   So i building by myself, a lot different kind of filter capacitors, then variable trigger current protection (0.5A max) then simple circuit on LM10 and darlington transistor as a power repeater . 15W-15V transformer - simple ....  so 0.5-15V ; current trigger, 5 digits voltage indicator. Made 1 channel, it will be 4 channels and current trigger linked together using opto, shut down all channels simultaneously  - if need. as all 4 channels independent it possible to connect it in a diff variations.  the power sequencer, i thing, will be a relay (no idea yet)  ....

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:20:43 pm »
Since you are going after getting two devices at the same time you may be able to get a deal if you can find a dealer that can provide both devices (not necessarily the same brand).

Do you really need 40 V on the power supply? Many power supplies only gives 30 V (or less). How many amps do you need? Do you need to have your instruments calibrated? If so, then check how much that costs for the brand you pick.

Many brands get quite expensive if you want the ability to remote control them. If you really need this then make sure that the communication API is open such that you can control it yourself unless their software does exactly what you want it to do.

Brands that are often mentioned here are Keysight, Rigol and Siglent. It may be worth to check out power supplies from aimtti as well. However, their bench multimeters do not seem to be very advanced.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »
Come to think of it: Keysight had a deal where you'd get a DMM for free with a power supply. I don't know if that is still going on. I got a U1282A with my PSU.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:50:49 am »
The "Keysight E363xx series" power supply really peaked my interest, it has all the features I need and more. It should last as least as long as my old PSU witch was ~15 years.
I’m still looking for an alternative PSU but this one would be hard to beat!

And yeah the reason I wanted a bench multimeter was because they are stackable, require no batteries and are more versatile then the hand held counterparts!

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:58:09 pm »
Well,

I chose RIGOL DP832A and Keysight 34465A.
For higher voltages there is a DP821A or other models.

Looks good to me  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf