Author Topic: LCR-T4 MTester v2.07 LCR Meter - Black Block Issue - How to program ATMEGA328P?  (Read 64841 times)

Offline gorgaminTopic starter

• Contributor
Does anyone know of a fix for the following issue:

LCR-T4 MTester v2.07 LCR Meter - Black Block Issue

Turns on with quickly saying MTester v2.07, quickly displays "contrast" and then one solid black block and no backlight. Can't test at all. Think the firmware has an issue. Anyone have any ideas on how to flash through SPI?

I'm arranging a replacement through the seller on ebay, but in the meantime I thought I'd tinker with it.

Its almost as if the "contrast" part wants to go into a menu of some sort. I read through the original plans and it seems there is an option to add a rotary pulse encoder for menu access. Would adding this help?

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/wikifiles/8/8f/Ttester_eng111k.pdf
2.2.5 Using of a rotary pulse encoder - p11

I'm guessing corrupt firmware, but I've got no experience with SPI or ISP serial flashing. I've flashed firmware through JTAG before though.
This is the ATMEL ATMEGA328P based one.

Battery is still good at 8.9v (these testers work fine down to 6.5v)

The non-working backlight should be a dead giveaway that something isn't right. I've checked the SMD components and they seem ok.

Any help would be vastly appreciated. And if I'm doing something daft, please tell me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:28:22 pm by gorgamin »
"Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas." - WHT

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LCR-T4 MTester v2.07 LCR Meter - Black Block Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:00:56 am »
I seem to remember reading about people having an issue like that early on in the master thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

Sorry I don't remember exactly where in there, but the issue I saw described was that the default contrast is set too high. Somewhere in that thread a couple of people discussed the button sequence to press to get to the menu setting for the contrast, and once that was turned down it looked fine. Another option if you are comfortable with it would be to download and compile the firmware. Before you compile it you can set what you want the default contrast to be on boot up. Although if you are building one of the newer versions of the firmware code I believe the contrast is now already set to a sensible value.

If it is a case of having the contrast set to high on boot up a rotary encoder won't really help you much (actually would probably make it a little more difficult to blind navigate the menu system). Maybe try searching that thread for "contrast" or "boot up contrast" or something like that. Also you can find a lot of talk of how to compile/upload the firmware in that thread as well.

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:57:33 pm »
afair, with this variant, contrast can be adjusted by pressing the button and shortening all 3 probes...

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »
afair, with this variant, contrast can be adjusted by pressing the button and shortening all 3 probes...

Do you remember how to do it?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 06:11:38 pm »
Ok so I've wired up the SPI pads on the tester as follows:

They're actually labelled if you look under the LCD. (You'd have to remove the LCD)

The LCD is model number is LX-12864B11, 128x64 resolution with backlight. And uses SPI mode to function. The one on the tester uses the 0.8mm pitch FPC connector.

More info here:
http://wiki.mcselec.com/bavr/ST7567_display_library_-_128x64

When tested with a multimeter, it seems the backlight only gets 0.8V. Could this be the reason why the backlight doesn't work? Or faulty LED?
How would I go ahead to program the firmware to it?

I have an Ardiuno Uno R3, but its the SMD version.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:43:33 pm by gorgamin »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »
Ok to the other noobs just getting started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR

The in-system programming (ISP) programming method is functionally performed through SPI, plus some twiddling of the Reset line. As long as the SPI pins of the AVR are not connected to anything disruptive, the AVR chip can stay soldered on a PCB while reprogramming. All that is needed is a 6-pin connector and programming adapter. This is the most common way to develop with an AVR.

Here's some more info:

http://www.engineersgarage.com/articles/avr-microcontroller

As I'm teaching myself, I'm going to morph this thread to a guide on how to fix it. Any input or pointers are appreciated^^  ^-^
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:30:42 pm by gorgamin »

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
Does anyone know of a fix for the following issue ...

Probably is corrupted firmware or damaged MCU and this causes a fault with switching ON and LED backlight of the display. See circuit diagram (port PD6 of the MCU).

For inspiration ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg793722/#msg793722

• Contributor
Thanks for the reply and pointing me in the right direction^^

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:36 am »
1. How do I make a USB SPI cable?
2. Which software do I use to flash firmware?
3. Can I use an arduino uno to flash it?
4. Which firmware can I use on this Chinese Ebay tester?

Only these steps you need to be done:
1. Upload to Arduino the ArduinoISP sketch.
2. Connect Arduino along with a tester.
3. Connect Arduino to the USB port and then execute the file "flash.bat" (part of the archive "Flasher + Firmware.zip"). For proper operation, it is necessary to set the correct serial port number of the Arduino (parameter COMx).
4. That's all

• Contributor
Thanks to you sir, my tester is now working^^ Thank you for the guide and the pics. They really helped. :)

Tried both firmwares, the Mtester one didn't work, just kept saying MTester and then contrast, but at least solidly for 2 seconds? The Flash K-version (v1.12kr647) did the trick.

Can I ask though, how do I change the selection menu option? Rotary encoder with a push switch and debounce chip?

I think my lcd backlight led is shot, but that's easily fixed with a replacement LX-12864B11, 128x64 lcd from ebay.

Do you have a bitcoin address so I can buy you a coffee/beer?

Offline estenioxavier

hi Tom

This BAT file is giving error in AVRDUDE.EXE file. It has no alternative to the Arduino ???

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
to program with AVRdude and USBasp use:
avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:TransistorTester.hex \-U eeprom:w:TransistorTester.eep \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m
(copy & paste)

Offline vinceroger

• Regular Contributor
Thanks to you sir, my tester is now working^^ Thank you for the guide and the pics. They really helped. :)

Tried both firmwares, the Mtester one didn't work, just kept saying MTester and then contrast, but at least solidly for 2 seconds? The Flash K-version (v1.12kr647) did the trick.

Can I ask though, how do I change the selection menu option? Rotary encoder with a push switch and debounce chip?

I think my lcd backlight led is shot, but that's easily fixed with a replacement LX-12864B11, 128x64 lcd from ebay.

Do you have a bitcoin address so I can buy you a coffee/beer?

what seems wrong with your lcd? can you post a picture of it turned on as maybe we have saw this fault before.

Offline estenioxavier

I'm not using the USBASP but the arduinoisp with MEGA 2560 and is not up the program. It makes the whole process but when I turn the tester is the same interface.

Offline BobLiang

???????V2.07??????? ???PCB?????????????????????????????IC???????????????????????738349686@qq.com

Offline estenioxavier

:-// :-// :-// :-// :-//

Offline t1nk3rnat

Hi all, just got hold of this LCD meter, this post is very informative - just in case if something goes wrong.

I'm itching to tinker with the HEX file :)
How do I extract or make a backup copy of the HEX & EEP file for this tester? - so I can restore it just in case.

Thanks

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Hi t1nk3rnat

Welcome to the forum.

How do I extract or make a backup copy of the HEX & EEP file for this tester? - so I can restore it just in case
There is probably no way to backup what is programmed, being a commercial product they have probably set the read protect bit (stops you reading out the contents).

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
You need to look at the main $20 ESR Transistor Tester thread:

Member Tom666 captured the original files for the LCR-T4.  Check in this page of the thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/939/

Edit: Damn, I can't get the links to edit correctly. |O Look in the $20 ESR Transistor Tester thread, page 38, reply #939. (Assuming they haven't changed the version they are shipping in these units now)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:10:31 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Edit: Damn, I can't get the links to edit correctly.

Here's the link, but that doesn't seem like the right post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/939/

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Thanks edavid.

I can't see why it's pointing to reply #925  ???. You need to scroll down the page to reply #939 by tom666. (at least I managed to find the right page  :D)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Thanks edavid.

I can't see why it's pointing to reply #925  ???. You need to scroll down the page to reply #939 by tom666. (at least I managed to find the right page  :D)

OK, this should work:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg659867/#msg659867

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline t1nk3rnat

thank you for your responses.

yep, i already secured the files  by tom666, though i'm not sure that mine is the same version...
i prefer to capture what is currently on my unit or i might end up downgrading (i think i have a newer firmware)

anyways, just a thought, thanks for help guys.... :-+

edit:

or another option might be buying another controller, programming it, installing the new chip and removing the original chip, so I can keep a hard backup. your thoughts please.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:00:55 am by t1nk3rnat »

Offline MattMatt

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »

Only these steps you need to be done:
1. Upload to Arduino the ArduinoISP sketch.
2. Connect Arduino along with a tester.
3. Connect Arduino to the USB port and then execute the file "flash.bat" (part of the archive "Flasher + Firmware.zip"). For proper operation, it is necessary to set the correct serial port number of the Arduino (parameter COMx).
4. That's all

I'm having a bit of trouble with this. I'm using an arduino uno and I've connected everything as you've shown and successfully uploaded the sketch. When I ran the bat file it said I was missing libusb0.dll. I managed to fix that with this link http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2014/01/17/AvrIsp-MkII-Usb-Driver-for-Arduino.aspx

But now I can't get the arduino to be seen on a port in the arduino software. Before I solved the libusb0 missing issue I simply selected com4 in order to upload the sketch, is this what you meant by setting the correct serial port? (parameter COMx). That option is now greyed out with the arduino plugged in, so it's no longer seeing it since "solving" the missing libusb0.dll. I have a feeling I never solved that problem. :palm:

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
Hi,
when I launch the flash.bat, the libusb0.dll is not found so I add it to the folder then this accured
The Application was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc000007b)
any solution ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf