Author Topic: RD6006W Power Supply shuts off, randomly  (Read 826 times)

Offline hpmaximTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RD6006W Power Supply shuts off, randomly
« on: October 14, 2020, 12:37:32 am »
I bought an RD6006 several months ago and am using it to power an embedded computer in a parked vehicle.

I have it plugged into an extension cord and configured to turn on the output upon startup.  The supply is set for 12V/3A and the embedded computer typically draws 6-700mA.

I have used this setup successfully for a while, turning it on/off by plugging or unplugging the extension cord into a receptacle on the outside of my house.

The past few times I've tried this it worked fine for some time (5-60 minutes) and then the output shut off (supply was still on).  If I enabled the output, it again worked fine for some time and then the output was disabled again.

I'm using the recommended 60V supply and I do have the temp probe installed, it was inside the case. My only thought was maybe it touched something hot and responded by disabling the output?  I have not yet been able to replicate it with the power supply in my house.

Help?

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
Re: RD6006W Power Supply shuts off, randomly
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:46:48 pm »
Check the OVP setting.
And sorry for my English.

Offline hpmaximTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 06:11:59 pm »
Check the OVP setting.

Thanks for the response.  I actually reached out to RD6006 and to my surprise, despite the language difficulties they were able to figure it out.  I still don't understand it exactly, but apparently, the green terminal needs to be shorted to the black terminal.  Apparently, it thinks it's trying to charge a battery and and a result of (something), if the green terminal isn't grounded it could think the battery is fully charged and shut off the power supply.  This seems very weird, to me, but... I installed the short and haven't had a problem in a few days.  If someone wants to try to explain that to me, that'd be great though.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:30:08 pm »
Check the OVP setting.

Thanks for the response.  I actually reached out to RD6006 and to my surprise, despite the language difficulties they were able to figure it out.  I still don't understand it exactly, but apparently, the green terminal needs to be shorted to the black terminal.  Apparently, it thinks it's trying to charge a battery and and a result of (something), if the green terminal isn't grounded it could think the battery is fully charged and shut off the power supply.  This seems very weird, to me, but... I installed the short and haven't had a problem in a few days.  If someone wants to try to explain that to me, that'd be great though.

It is likely that the voltage divider at the input of the op amp or the op amp itself detecting the voltage of the connected battery is faulty. It is possible that there is some strong noise at the input of the battery charge. Maybe check damages or oxides on the PCB in the battery detection circuit.
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf