Author Topic: Lecroy options -=recovery=-  (Read 75700 times)

Kosmic and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Lecroy options -=recovery=-
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2020, 03:35:23 am »
i'm poking around with my python (*.bat) files in my newly installed Win7. python gives me bad result, keep saying "Usage..." thing (attached) this has been working in WinXP, now its not working |O anyone have idea?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2020, 05:38:32 am »
i'm poking around with my python (*.bat) files in my newly installed Win7. python gives me bad result, keep saying "Usage..." thing (attached) this has been working in WinXP, now its not working |O anyone have idea?
Is options.cfg in the current directory?
add a dot in front of the name, or use the full path

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2020, 06:14:20 am »
Is options.cfg in the current directory?
yup

add a dot in front of the name, or use the full path
yup, tried that. dont worry i can consider myself a command line expert. i also did check if list.py is actually got into python interpreter, which it did (python was running it). important fact is, it was working in WinXP, now its not working in Win7, exactly the same command line... i did try to run as admin, in fact my UAC is disabled.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:19 am »
yup, tried that. dont worry i can consider myself a command line expert. i also did check if list.py is actually got into python interpreter, which it did (python was running it). important fact is, it was working in WinXP, now its not working in Win7, exactly the same command line... i did try to run as admin, in fact my UAC is disabled.

MS & Apple don't want us to use those scripts anymore !!!   :-DD

Since a while, after some Mac OS upgrade, my setup didn't work anymore (although the problem was different, it was related to PyCrypto), spent hours on this, without success... then moved the scripts over to a Linux VM, and everything worked flawlessly from the start...   kind of frustrating, but I've got other priorities than debugging my Mac OS Python setup.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:08:12 am by darkstar49 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2020, 11:48:47 am »
MS & Apple don't want us to use those scripts anymore !!!   :-DD
or maybe the later version of python? what stumbled me is python does not consider the extra "argument" as an "argument" :palm: i tried other combinations and tools, the Win7 cmd.exe works as on earlier WinXP. it seems the problem is with python, not sure why and how.

Since a while, after some Mac OS upgrade, my setup didn't work anymore (although the problem was different, it was related to PyCrypto), spent hours on this, without success... then moved the scripts over to a Linux VM, and everything worked flawlessly from the start...   kind of frustrating, but I've got other priorities than debugging my Mac OS Python setup.
maybe i need to dig the python version in my old WinXP setup to see the difference. i hate upgrades.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2020, 12:38:22 pm »
maybe i need to dig the python version in my old WinXP setup to see the difference. i hate upgrades.

me too !!!!!

I didn't do it for the Python stuff (and I was wrong !) which I installed on Mac OS directly, but ALL the 'specific setups' I have (Ghydra, IDA, old 32bit usb programmer softwares, and many more...) are running in dedicated VM's that I NEVER update anymore once they run as expected... given the pace of updates and the lack of care for total backward compatibility, I guess there's no other way. 

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
short story what i just did few minutes ago.. i boot and digged WinXP files... i just tried few combinations, the extreme is.. copy the Python27 (that is working) from WinXP into Win7, copy and run WinXP's cmd.exe in Win7, the result is the same bad.. so yeah, Win7 is screwing it up, something "lower level" in Win7 is screwing it up. this "password recovery" method only can be done in WinXP. if you dont have WinXP PC, then you need to run from your DSO's WinXP (and maybe Win2000) |O so if you guys still have WinXP installation/cd (and old PC that can run it), put it in vaccum chamber for archival purpose, it will definitely have a use one day.

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
Any other tested feat?
Can anyone see the Decoding in his WS400 scope? or do i miss something else? (WS424)

Here are some pictures. I hope they help you.

Every installed option works just fine. I'm really happy with the outcome, but I had to reprogram the EEPROM two times. The second time it took maybe 30 minutes. The programming isn't too bad. You have to desolder the 8pin EEPROM on the PCI card, but there aren't any other parts close to the IC. I would say it's doable by everyone who soldered few times.

If someone has a broken scope (XStream) because of this, feel free to write me a PM. I will try to help you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:59:24 pm by Momchilo »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, 2N3055, RedCali

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2020, 06:03:44 am »
Can anyone see the Decoding in his WS400 scope? or do i miss something else? (WS424)

WS400, being the bottom-end cheap scope, appears to have been designed to hide the serial decode menu even if you install the licenses.  There is a loophole, though:  If you install CAN01 or CAN02 then the serial decode UI is restored and all installed decoders become available.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline RedCali

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2020, 06:40:26 am »
got it
the "DECODE_MEASURE" option isnt available / i didnt see it witht he 'options.cfg' file.....

Offline smaultre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2020, 10:57:01 pm »
Hello where can i download the Lecroy Matlab pack, that used for some options???
I try to install it separately it doesn't works..
Start a new life here!!!

Offline RedCali

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2020, 01:23:42 pm »
got it
the "DECODE_MEASURE" option isnt available / i didnt see it witht he 'options.cfg' file.....

Hi Folks,

i've solved it - seems to me as there are two possible issues why it doesn't showed up the menu..

I did the following steps:
  • deleted all keys
  • replaced LBW with HBW and inserted -L
  • install all keys again, but the DECODE_MAESURE in front of the Protocols....

This solved the issue on the WS424 where the Decoder menu wasn't shown.....

Thanks to @Momchilo for his support :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:47:41 pm by RedCali »

Offline Swirve

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:18 am »
I have a wavepro 7300a and tries to activate serial decode (spi, uart etc) options, but the serial decode menu does not show up. I have added decode_measure option first and then added spi option but nothing shows up. From default the scope has fe2 and hbw option.
Other options (can01, can02) works fine!
Can anyone list options known to be working on the wp7k?

Offline Swirve

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:57 am »
Solved problem by updating scopes fw to latest.

Offline Amateur

« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2021, 03:54:19 am »
How to recover/go from WP950 Memory Option M to L? And then to WPVL?

To my standard WavePro 950 I added the key for Memory Option M and that worked well, the specified 4M sample memory is available for use. Very pleased with that result.

But then adding the key for the L Option does not result in the expected additional sample memory. In fact it reverts to the Standard max of 1MS, even though the option "WPL" is in the scope's System list (and "WPM"" is still there, too) and the even though the Horizontal Setup menu allows 16M to be specified as a maximum value to use for "Record up to...", but no more than 1MB of sample memory ever displays as available at the top of that menu.

Also tried going straight to WPVL so that it became the only memory option in the System list (had removed WPM prior), but with same result as WPL above (limited to 1MS).

What is the magic formula/sequence of adding keys to go from WPM to WPL and then to WPVL on this scope?  Would to hear from someone who knows, thanks.

Offline Schenkenstein

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2021, 08:36:31 pm »
Just upgraded my WS424 without any options to a WS454 with (all?) options! Thanks to Momchilo for the hint with the HBW option to make it a WS454!

One has to remove the LBW otpion first - it was installed by default on my scope and showed up as a key without showing what option it is. Anyways, the HBW option makes it think it is a WS454, but the frontend has to be modified, too, to get the actual bandwidth of 500MHz. Luckily, there is a version of the service manual which tells you what resistors to change and what capacitors to add :) However it fails to tell you how tedious it is to get to the frontend and solder the stuff...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:45:38 pm by Schenkenstein »

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2021, 04:16:52 pm »

The following users thanked this post: RedCali, sprit

Offline Schenkenstein

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2021, 11:39:50 am »
Oh Momchilo you are leading me into temptation! I think it has to wait a bit since my wife noticed an increase in incoming packages from Amazon etc lately...  ;D

One of those packages was a PATA to SATA adapter for the scope which I used to switch to an old SSD I had sitting in the shelves. However, it gives me occasional boot issues and data corruption problems - I guess it has to do with the UDMA / not enough connectors / shielding issues others reported in another thread. Did you encounter any problems with the linked adapter and disk from Amazon?

And the Tualatin processors work, too? I read somewhere that they don't work on all socket 370 boards and the 30W TDH vs. the 24W of the standard Celeron makes me a bit anxious.
I also whacked an additional 512MB RAM in though I don't know if more will help significantly. The CPU seems to be the main bottleneck (sin(x)/x interpolation on 2M points? processing... ... ...). Anyways, still lots to play around with :)

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:11 pm »
Just upgraded my WS424 without any options to a WS454 with (all?) options! Thanks to Momchilo for the hint with the HBW option to make it a WS454!

One has to remove the LBW otpion first - it was installed by default on my scope and showed up as a key without showing what option it is. Anyways, the HBW option makes it think it is a WS454, but the frontend has to be modified, too, to get the actual bandwidth of 500MHz. Luckily, there is a version of the service manual which tells you what resistors to change and what capacitors to add :) However it fails to tell you how tedious it is to get to the frontend and solder the stuff...

Lucky you... that must be the only (available) service manual that mentions such information... I'm pretty sure later models could also be BW-upgraded (only some models, and only to some extent...), but I never saw any usable information around that topic...

Offline Hodany Engineering

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2021, 09:07:13 am »
I tried to add a couple of options to my HDO running 8.x.x software. The keys are shown as Legacy OptionKey. Apparently keys for version 8.x.x using a different format. xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xx instead of xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
Are there any archives where I can find older software versions for my HDO? Maybe the first release of version 8.x.x can convert the keys?

Does anyone have option keys for HDO? EMB woud be nice to have.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:09:22 am by Hodany Engineering »

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2021, 02:54:29 pm »
One of those packages was a PATA to SATA adapter for the scope which I used to switch to an old SSD I had sitting in the shelves. However, it gives me occasional boot issues and data corruption problems - I guess it has to do with the UDMA / not enough connectors / shielding issues others reported in another thread. Did you encounter any problems with the linked adapter and disk from Amazon?
It could be also the missing TRIM command. Win XP doesn't have this. Just install ADATA SSD Toolbox to add the TRIM command for the SSD. That could at least be a solution. I use the tool and the linked adapter without any problems so far.

And the Tualatin processors work, too? I read somewhere that they don't work on all socket 370 boards and the 30W TDH vs. the 24W of the standard Celeron makes me a bit anxious.
I also whacked an additional 512MB RAM in though I don't know if more will help significantly. The CPU seems to be the main bottleneck (sin(x)/x interpolation on 2M points? processing... ... ...). Anyways, still lots to play around with :)
1GB RAM should be fine. 2GB won't make much difference. But the CPU is a huge upgrade. I installed the Pentium III-S 1133 (SL5PU)  Tualatin with 27.9W TDP. It's the same power dissipation as the used Celeron has. The Pentium III-S 1266 should be fine too with 30W TDP, but the 1400 could be problematic. I have never tried it.

The following users thanked this post: RedCali

Offline SpencerSGP

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2021, 09:09:42 am »
Hi, I am new to this group and after carefully study and follow instructions here, I am able to install more options on my DDA-120.  I generate three codes and key in one by one to activate in the scope. 
I also replaced the picture tube display of DDA-120A with a 8 inches monitor with VGA input which only cost US$35.
Thank you for all sharing!

Also under "Maintenance" manual, can remove and add software options and all working!!!
Details of of repair and upgrade are in below link:
http://www.fetaudio.com/archives/2541
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:45:38 am by SpencerSGP »

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2021, 03:27:14 pm »
Just for future reference.

same...   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:52:22 pm by darkstar49 »

The following users thanked this post: alm, RedCali

Offline mophong

« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2021, 12:59:36 pm »
Anyone has list of working options on WaveSurfer 24Xs? Don't dare to desolder eeprom.
Thanks,

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:44 pm »
Anyone has list of working options on WaveSurfer 24Xs? Don't dare to desolder eeprom.
Thanks,

Make sure you read the thread from the start. Bricking your scope is extremely unlikely, unless you go for the 0xffffffff approach...
Certain options were available on some models only, which was in most cases due to commercial limitations. But anyway, my first advice would be to stick to what you (really) need... and if you find out that some of the installed options do not behave as expected, you'll still be able to remove those.
I'e never heard of a bricked scope (i.e. requiring to desolder the eeprom) when using 'normal' option masks. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf