Author Topic: Lecroy PP005 oscilloscope probe possibly damaged  (Read 817 times)

Offline garrett7621Topic starter

Lecroy PP005 oscilloscope probe possibly damaged
« on: August 20, 2020, 03:15:11 am »
Hi guys,

I just purchased a set of two Lecroy PP005 Oscilloscope probes for use with my new Tektronics TDS 380 scope. I noticed that the cable looks crushed/punctured, almost as if it was bitten. Additionally, the tip of the probe is shorter than the "non-damaged". However, I have probed the calibration signal on my scope with both probes and can not tell a difference, they both seem just fine.

Is this damage something I should still be worried about, even though it is measuring the calibration signal fine? I still am able to return the probes if this is an issue, as they were listed used/working. Also, these are 500MHz probes, and the calibration signal is only 1KHz. Is it possible that the damage to the cable could effect the signal at higher frequencies?

Thank you for any advice!

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Lecroy PP005 oscilloscope probe possibly damaged
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 05:49:23 am »
I personally will never buy used probes, unless you have the requisite equipment to test them, you may not realize there is a problem and end up confused by erroneous results.  It is risky to buy irreparable used accessory when you don't know how it has been used, I liken used probes to some stranger's used underwear, no thank you.

In addition to the cable damage, your "shorter" probe is shorter because the pin is actually missing, or snapped off.  The PP005 comes with two types of pins, a fixed pin, and a spring loaded pin.  In your case, the other probe seem to have the fixed pin.  You are also missing the ground pin, and the grabber extension.

The pin is replaceable, you can order part number PK102 for a set of probe accessory, about $40+ for a set. 

I would consider getting the probe accessory kit if your probes are in better shape, but they both seem to be well used judging by the wear on the probe body.  So if I were you, I would return them and buy a new set. 

I have included a picture of what my PP005 looks like, you may want those missing accessories for a fully functional probe.  I did not take picture of the probe ground spring, and the adjustment screw driver, which should also come with the probe set. 

1050352-0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:59:35 am by NoisyBoy »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 07:41:41 am »
I liken used probes to some stranger's used underwear, no thank you.
female? or male stranger? ;D imho its too exagerating making analogy a probe with an underwear. a glove maybe..

I personally will never buy used probes, unless you have the requisite equipment to test them
most hobbiests will inevitably end up buying a function generator or a spectrum analyzer (possibly with tracking generator) anyway which is the minimum requirement to characterize a probe. for passive probe, there should be very little that can go wrong inside, only some passive resistors and capacitors, it should take a significant and visible damage to reach those components. the reselled probe in OP maybe due to just aesthetic reason, the ground shield maybe still 90% intact. if characterization only shows minimal or aceptable distortion and if the price is good, then why not? different story if its an active probe or GHz probe that rely heavily on the coax's Zo. 2cnts.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:41:47 am »
I just purchased a set of two Lecroy PP005 Oscilloscope probes for use with my new Tektronics TDS 380 scope. I noticed that the cable looks crushed/punctured, almost as if it was bitten.

If you bought them on fleabay, how were they described? A link to the advert would help.

They are not good, but only you can determine whether they are good enough for your application.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf